What's new

India to overtake U.S. on number of developers by 2017

Bhai Zakir

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India

The U.S. may be the global center of the IT universe, but India will exceed the U.S. in the number of software developers by 2017, a new report notes.

There are about 18.2 million software developers worldwide, a number that is due to rise to 26.4 million by 2019, a 45% increase, says Evans Data Corp. in its latest Global Developer Population and Demographic Study.

Today, the U.S. leads the world in software developers, with about 3.6 million. India has about 2.75 million. But by 2018, India will have 5.2 million developers, a nearly 90% increase, versus 4.5 million in the U.S., a 25% increase though that period, Evans Data projects.

[ Get the latest IT news on the Australian government and businesses in Computerworld's Business & Government newsletter ]

India's software development growth rate is attributed, in part, to its population size, 1.2 billion, and relative youth, with about half the population under 25 years of age, and economic growth.

India's services firms hire, in many cases, thousands of new employees each quarter. Consequently, IT and software work is seen as clear path to the middle class for many of the nation's young.

For instance, in one quarter this year, Tata Consultancy Services added more than 17,000 employees, gross, bringing its total headcount to 263,600. In the same quarter of 2010, the company had about 150,000 workers.

Its real GDP growth has been about 8% over the last decade, but there are signs that growth rate may fall and that could lead to adjustment in the projections, the report said.

In 2011, Evans Data projected that India would surpass the U.S. in software developers by 2015. Janel Garvin, the CEO of Evans, told Computerworld that in 2011, in the midst of the recession, the firm had a lower forecast for U.S. growth than it current does.

"At that point India's growth was not as effected by the recession so the projection was that India would surpass US earlier," Garvin said. "Since that time there have been improvements in the U.S. and we've adjusted the growth projection accordingly in this latest study."

"These are projections and represent the best data we can find, but they are still mathematical projections into the future, and the future is never certain," she said.

What is clear is the history and the rate growth among India's fast growing IT services firms. Even firms like IBM have more workers in India than in the U.S.

Over the next couple of decades, India will add about 110 million workers to its labor force, more than the U.S., China, Russia and Japan combined, says Goldman Sachs.

In 2018, China will have about 1.9 million programmers, and Russia about 1.3 million, Evans Data projects.

NASSCOM, India's IT industry group, expects IT exports to grow between 12 and 14% next year, driven by "anything-as-a-service," smart computing, which connects systems with physical infrastructure, and growth in the SMB market, among other sectors.

Slew of steps to give big push to manufacturing - The Hindu

The U.S. may be the global center of the IT universe, but India will exceed the U.S. in the number of software developers by 2017, a new report notes.

There are about 18.2 million software developers worldwide, a number that is due to rise to 26.4 million by 2019, a 45% increase, says Evans Data Corp. in its latest Global Developer Population and Demographic Study.

Today, the U.S. leads the world in software developers, with about 3.6 million. India has about 2.75 million. But by 2018, India will have 5.2 million developers, a nearly 90% increase, versus 4.5 million in the U.S., a 25% increase though that period, Evans Data projects.

[ Get the latest IT news on the Australian government and businesses in Computerworld's Business & Government newsletter ]

India's software development growth rate is attributed, in part, to its population size, 1.2 billion, and relative youth, with about half the population under 25 years of age, and economic growth.

India's services firms hire, in many cases, thousands of new employees each quarter. Consequently, IT and software work is seen as clear path to the middle class for many of the nation's young.

For instance, in one quarter this year, Tata Consultancy Services added more than 17,000 employees, gross, bringing its total headcount to 263,600. In the same quarter of 2010, the company had about 150,000 workers.

Its real GDP growth has been about 8% over the last decade, but there are signs that growth rate may fall and that could lead to adjustment in the projections, the report said.

In 2011, Evans Data projected that India would surpass the U.S. in software developers by 2015. Janel Garvin, the CEO of Evans, told Computerworld that in 2011, in the midst of the recession, the firm had a lower forecast for U.S. growth than it current does.

"At that point India's growth was not as effected by the recession so the projection was that India would surpass US earlier," Garvin said. "Since that time there have been improvements in the U.S. and we've adjusted the growth projection accordingly in this latest study."

"These are projections and represent the best data we can find, but they are still mathematical projections into the future, and the future is never certain," she said.

What is clear is the history and the rate growth among India's fast growing IT services firms. Even firms like IBM have more workers in India than in the U.S.

Over the next couple of decades, India will add about 110 million workers to its labor force, more than the U.S., China, Russia and Japan combined, says Goldman Sachs.

In 2018, China will have about 1.9 million programmers, and Russia about 1.3 million, Evans Data projects.

NASSCOM, India's IT industry group, expects IT exports to grow between 12 and 14% next year, driven by "anything-as-a-service," smart computing, which connects systems with physical infrastructure, and growth in the SMB market, among other sectors.

Slew of steps to give big push to manufacturing - The Hindu

In IT what matters is the quality not quantity. USA is way ahead when it comes to qualtiy of work in the field of IT.

In IT what matters is the quality not quantity. USA is way ahead when it comes to qualtiy of work in the field of IT.

Quality is already there as we work for most of the top fortune 500 companies in USA and EU.

The only thing left is the Indian owned software companies bigger then US of A it will take time but we are on track.

No one cares about such things.It doesn't matter as long as American Tech Companies like IBM keep on hiring from India.In fact recently it was recently revealed that more than 50% of white collar workers of IBM are Indians or an Indian expat.By that margin with in a few years most of the top executives of that company will be Indians.Any way this is a good news for Indian IT industry.Hopefully it will become a $300Bn Industry by 2020.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...s-number-developers-2017-a.html#ixzz2YdmhmwDF

u have no Idea how the IT world works,

Coming up with ground breaking concepts and innovative products is a task handled by an experience few writing abstract routines and then branching out to more complex (isolated) more specialized attachments require manpower and alot of it if u want ur deadlines met or decrease production time.

Its literally manual labor, cus its all about the time with very little out of the box or creative thinking.IT all workflow ,once u get familiar with it it becomes a ******** mindless grind.

Just learn the api and get ready to jot down a sting of logic statements to create required functions from segmented flowcharts. Its all about devision of labor ;more the merrier.

While doing my engineering, I remember my classmates were obsessed with working with IT companies, irrespective of the stream they have graduated in. The results are now showing as India is overtaking US by 2017 in number of IT professionals

Now the new obsession with Indians is finance. Where ever I go these days, I find lots Indians in Banks and Investment companies and other financial sector companies.

However, we need civil engineers, mechanical engineers, scientists and professors as much as we need computer engineers and finance professional.

u have no Idea how the IT world works,

I have complete idea of the IT world and how the process works. I am doing this for years and worked with developers from USA, India and Pakistan.

Coming up with ground breaking concepts and innovative products is a task handled by an experience few writing abstract routines and then branching out to more complex (isolated) more specialized attachments require manpower and alot of it if u want ur deadlines met or decrease production time.

Its literally manual labor, cus its all about the time with very little out of the box or creative thinking.IT all workflow ,once u get familiar with it it becomes a ******** mindless grind.

Just learn the api and get ready to jot down a sting of logic statements to create required functions from segmented flowcharts. Its all about devision of labor ;more the merrier.
I am very sorry to say but you are very wrong. Development work is not like physical labour and in IT its only worth if its doing the function it was desired to do. If you spent 100 resources and completed the job in one day but its poorly coded and doesn't do the job it was suppose to do or at least is not able to do it in reliable way. Then all the work done is a waste of time and money. Actully you will see a lot of people around internet who will tell you how the idea of cheap IT labour is very bad. For example a person with poor skill offering cheap per hour rates can cause a client more stress by spending countless hours with very little or no useful results and a lot of wasted time.

Soon i will be included in the developers list too. Tired of providing application support working on oracle and solaris.

Does IT really have such a great future? Some say that IT and Finance are both over rated and overmanned and demand may fall in future.

but will Indians IT developers move up the food chain?

I think that's a different ball game.

I am very sorry to say but you are very wrong. Development work is not like physical labour and in IT its only worth if its doing the function it was desired to do. If you spent 100 resources and completed the job in one day but its poorly coded and doesn't do the job it was suppose to do or at least is not able to do it in reliable way. Then all the work done is a waste of time and money. Actully you will see a lot of people around internet who will tell you how the idea of cheap IT labour is very bad. For example a person with poor skill offering cheap per hour rates can cause a client more stress by spending countless hours with very little or no useful results and a lot of wasted time.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...s-number-developers-2017-a.html#ixzz2YeADiHGw

Apart from the Bold part the rest is incoherent babble.

And to respond to ur superstition , work u get depends on ur portfolio and work experience not the word of some willinelly saying he knows how to work a script.
What kind of fool would recruit someone who has no knowhow? Indians don't do away with there money so easily.
As i said earlier, u seem to be a fresher at this , the market has a natural tendency to weed out the less experienced towards internship positions. My earlier statement still stands.

what is that supposed to mean?

World beating products?

While doing my engineering, I remember my classmates were obsessed with working with IT companies, irrespective of the stream they have graduated in. The results are now showing as India is overtaking US by 2017 in number of IT professionals

Now the new obsession with Indians is finance. Where ever I go these days, I find lots Indians in Banks and Investment companies and other financial sector companies.

However, we need civil engineers, mechanical engineers, scientists and professors as much as we need computer engineers and finance professional.

I am also student of business administration & you broke my heart with your comment:cry:

In business, a lot of work can be done by junior people, but companies charge a premium because they have the experts on call, in case they are needed.

For example, when you go to the doctor, the nurse does a lot of the routine work so the doctor doesn't have to.
When you get your car fixed, junior mechanics do the work, but the experienced staff reviews the work (hopefully).

Similarly, most of the work in IT is grunt work, but big consulting companies charge a premium because they have senior hotshots available for the design/review part of the project.

I am also student of business administration & you broke my heart with your comment:cry:

If that is your interest than you are excellent with it, but if have chosen business administration just because of peer pressure than I you will not enjoy your job.

Back
Top Bottom