What's new

India will be a dominant player in South Asia, Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.
So better we keep the discussion in the strategic location context and see how India can play a dominant role in South Asia or on this side of the Asia with Pakistan in its way.

OK berthing rights in Oman will help us to have influvence and do business all over Middle East..We devaloped port in Iran exclusively for not to depend on Pakistan for our trade with Central Asian countries.. Its a risk but India is willing to take that risk..and India alreay have influvence in all South Asian countries except Pakistan :)

Bussssss ??? That is all that you got ??

So if i start telling in what India is not the leader, then you guys will say such and such is coming from a moderator and the usual crying foul play.

So better we keep the discussion in the strategic location context and see how India can play a dominant role in South Asia or on this side of the Asia with Pakistan in its way.

Trust me....Your position as a moderator will not change my opinions or my stance....I consider you to be like any other member in discussion with me....

I cant speak for others, but I for one will happily accept any proof that India doesnt already hold a dominant role in the subcontinent or isnt already the leader in all fields important to be in a dominating role.....

Anyways....isnt this relevant to the topic esp since these are the attributes that will be essential in determining India's influence?

PS: I do appreciate the moderation on our newest female member

Trust me....Your position as a moderator will not change my opinions as I consider you any other member in discussion with me....

I cant speak for others, but I for one will happily accept any proof that India doesnt already hold a dominant role in the subcontinent or is already the leader in all fields important to be in a dominating role.....

Anyways....isnt this relevant to the topic esp since these are the attributes that will be essential in determining India's influence?

So if India is a dominant in South Asia, then why Pakistan doesn't tow India's line ?? Even Bangladesh and Sri Lanka don't tow India's line.

I believe that is more then enough to tell that so far India is not dominant in every field to become dominant in South Asia. Dominance will be established when all its neighbors tow its line and or atleast bow down their head just like someone does in a King's court.

India will be a dominant player in South Asia, Middle East​
17 Mar 2010, 0859 hrs IST, PTI

WASHINGTON: India's strategic location in the Indian Ocean and proud martial traditions will make it a dominant player in South Asia and the Middle East in the next 25 years, a Pentagon report has said.

US Joint Forces Command in its latest report of emerging geopolitical and technological trends, which estimates their potential impact on future military operations, said it will likely have a role to play as America encourages the growth of India as a regional and even global power.

"India has a special place in the future international environment. Few countries in the world may figure as prominently in future US strategic calculations," a 'Joint Operating Environment (JOE) 2010' report released yesterday said.

"India's military will receive substantial upgrades in the coming years. That fact, combined with its proud martial traditions and strategic location in the Indian Ocean, will make India the dominant player in South Asia and the Middle East," the report said.

In the next 25 years, the report said relative balance of power between states will shift, some growing faster than the US and many states weakening relative to the US.

Noting that India could more than quadruple its wealth over the course of the next two decades, but large swaths of its population would likely to remain in poverty through the 2030s, it said "like China, this will create tensions between the rich and the poor."

Such tension, added to the divides among its religions and nationalities, could continue to have implications for economic growth and national security, the report said.

India would grow by 320 million during the next quarter of a century. The tensions that arise from a growing divide between rich and poor could seriously impact its potential for further economic growth, it added.

"While China's rise represents the most significant single event on the international horizon since the collapse of the Soviet Union, it is not the only story.

Steady, if not rapid, economic growth appears to be the norm for much of the world over the coming decades, providing that sufficient energy remains available to fuel that growth and the financial crisis can be resolved," it said.

"Russia and India are both likely to become richer, although Russia's strength is fragile, resting as it does on unfavourable demographic trends, a single-commodity economy based on hydrocarbon extraction, and a lack of serious investment in repairing its crumbling infrastructure," the report said.

If there is reason for the Joint Force commander to consider the potential use of nuclear weapons by adversaries against US forces, there is also the possibility that sometime in the future two other warring states might use nuclear weapons against each other.

"In the recent past, India and Pakistan have come close to armed conflict beyond the perennial skirmishing that occurs along their Kashmir frontier," it said.

"Given India's immense conventional superiority, there is considerable reason to believe such a conflict could lead to nuclear exchanges. As would be true of any use of nuclear weapons, the result could be massive carnage, uncontrolled refugee flows, and social collapse - all in all, a horrific human catastrophe.

"Given 24/7 news coverage, the introduction of US and other international forces to mitigate the suffering would be almost inevitable," the report said.

India will be a dominant player in South Asia, Middle East- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

hahaha ...India dominate s/asia" i guess Its just that the westerners need a local partner to deal with mess they are planing to leave from Iraq to Afghanistan ...All india india is typical gora raag paat , when india will be stuck they will simply vanish or back off .

India must understand one thing instead getting carried away in this western pro - india propaganda they are using you as a tool to deal with Pak & china. When you will be stuck they will never to be found. Work towards the regional security instead keeping western masters happy !

OK berthing rights in Oman will help us to have influvence and do business all over Middle East..We devaloped port in Iran exclusively for not to depend on Pakistan for our trade with Central Asian countries.. Its a risk but India is willing to take that risk..and India alreay have influvence in all South Asian countries except Pakistan :)

Ok, i asked the other guy, and now asking you, plz tell me the clause which says India can use these birthing rights to attack or do some offensive nature against Pakistan.

Chabahar is just 180Km away from Gwadar and the total length of the channel starting from Gwadar to Oman Seashore is 400KM. So now can't Pakistan defend such a small opening ?? And the trade you speak about would go through these sea channel, and the Indian ships would be hundreds of miles away from their home ports.

Yeah I can see the influence in other countries.

Come on yaar, be realistic. :)

As of right now, India is hardly dominant in subcontinent. At best, it is the most powerful country, but is far from being dominant. Being dominant would mean other countries would look up to india and go along with it. How many countries in sub-continent are doing that? Indians need to get out of their bubble and get into the real world. It's different out there.

So if India is a dominant in South Asia, then why Pakistan doesn't tow India's line ?? Even Bangladesh and Sri Lanka don't tow India's line.

I believe that is more then enough to tell that so far India is not dominant in every field to become dominant in South Asia. Dominance will be established when all its neighbors tow its line and or atleast bow down their head just like someone does in a King's court.

Is becoming dominant means all the countries around you should tow your lines? Come on I was expecting a better response from you. Are you saying that Iran doesn’t tow to USA means USA is not dominant

Last edited:

Taimi....

India even though being in a position to impose its will through power on BD and Sri-Lanka doesnt do so because that is not our intention and interest....
India has always tried to maintain friendly relations with all countries.......perfect case and point is Israel and Palestine.....

Frankly, after the '71 war, India had a perfect chance to "colonize" BD.....but we didnt.....that speaks enough for our intentions.....
Besides in what way do we need BD to "tow our line"....I mean issues like NE rebels, rail links, roads etc are all in line with mutual benefit....whats will we get out of imposing our will for the hell of it.....
And I dont mean to sound smug,.....but lets say that India refuses dialogue on water issues with BD.....what exactly do you think BD can do? "Kya Ukhad Lenge?".....If thats not dominance then what is? An Elephant need not prove its size......its assumed.....

Sri-Lanka as I mentioned in another thread is an independent nation and can choose to take its sides according to its priorities....but when those actions will be against Indian interests or directly harm India, you will see India in a dominant role.....
Please refer to Operation Poomalai to guage into what Im speaking of.....

Lastly, at least in the subcontinent, we are NOT in an arms race with anyone....others try to match us or create "minimum deterrant"....I think thats enough to speak about the position we enjoy.....As an a member of a nation thats had/has differences with us, I dont expect you to endorse it, but the world does....and you know it as well.....

Lets be real.....A country like China....which is turning out to be a future superpower and is a dominant force in Asia does not have "pull" over its smaller neighbors like Vietnam, a miniscule island like Taiwan or its relatively smaller neighbor like India.....
But does it mean that they dont have the capability?

Call a spade a spade....
Both India and China are dominant, but do not impose their will on others.....I hope you see the point Im making....

Last edited:
Ok, i asked the other guy, and now asking you, plz tell me the clause which says India can use these birthing rights to attack or do some offensive nature against Pakistan.

Chabahar is just 180Km away from Gwadar and the total length of the channel starting from Gwadar to Oman Seashore is 400KM. So now can't Pakistan defend such a small opening ?? And the trade you speak about would go through these sea channel, and the Indian ships would be hundreds of miles away from their home ports.

Yeah I can see the influence in other countries.

Come on yaar, be realistic. :)

Taimi no where in this thread i said we are using this berthing rights and ports to attack Pakistan or any other country..as i mentioned on my previous posts its for trade and there by increasing our influvence in middle east and central asian countries..Port of Iran is mainly for reducing our dependence on Pakistan for trading between India and Central Asian countries..war with Pakistan is not coming in to this context..and as for Pakistan she dont attack a ship going to Iran unless there is war..

BURNING NEWS

The Chinese government provides full political and financial backing to Chinese companies. They spent around US$ 32 bn last year acquiring foreign mineral/energy he Indian government does not assist its companies to that degree. But that seems to be changing.

As per recent article form....Bloomberg, India is planning to carve out a portion of its US$ 254 bn foreign exchange reserves to create a sovereign wealth fund. This fund will help state owned -companies compete for overseas energy assets. But China will retain one advantage that India can't possibly match. The dragon nation is far more comfortable backing despots in mineral rich but authoritarian regimes. Democratic India finds it difficult to cozy up to them.(Who Cares about China thats nt part of SA....bottomline:India is and will be dominant player in SA)

Last edited:
As of right now, India is hardly dominant in subcontinent. At best, it is the most powerful country, but is far from being dominant. Being dominant would mean other countries would look up to india and go along with it. How many countries in sub-continent are doing that? Indians need to get out of their bubble and get into the real world. It's different out there.

There is no more any dominant country except perhaps USA and there would not any in future. The world has changed a lot after the demise of USSR. Today domination has different connotation that has nothing to do with making your neighbors tow

Most of the countries in South Asia are looking up to us mate..I posted it clearly in reply of Omar posts..please read it..just an example is the recent attempt of military take over of Sri Lanka by their army..Sri Lanka only informed one country thats India..it clearly shows how much they look up to us..i gave examples from Nepal to Maldives in that post ..

Is becoming dominant means all the countries around you should tow your lines? Common I was expecting better response from you. Are you saying that Iran doesn’t tow to USA means USA is not dominant

Taimi....

India even though being in a position to impose its will through power on BD and Sri-Lanka doesnt do so because that is not our intention and interest....
India has always tried to maintain friendly relations with all countries.......perfect case and point is Israel and Palestine.....

Frankly, after the '71 war, India had a perfect chance to "colonize" BD.....but we didnt.....that speaks enough for our intentions.....

Sri-Lanka as I mentioned in another thread is an independent nation and can choose to take its sides according to its priorities....but when those actions will be against Indian interests or directly harm India, you will see India in a dominant role.....
Please refer to Operation Poomalai to guage into what Im speaking of.....

Lets be real.....A country like China....which is turning out to be a future superpower and is a dominant force in Asia does not have "pull" over its smaller neighbors like Vietnam, a miniscule island like Taiwan or its relatively smaller neighbor like India.....
But does it mean that they dont have the capability?

Call a spade a spade....
Both India and China are dominant, but do not impose their will on others.....I hope you see the point Im making....

Dominance is used where you impose your will on others. If not will then atleast no one speaks a work against you or oppose you.

If such is not the case, then using the work dominant or dominance is not worth it. better would be to use an Important player, not a dominant player.

And if US can't make Iran do anything as per its wishes, then it means US is not dominant in this area or on this country.

US would be dominant in its own continent or where it has strong influence, but not on Iran.

You use the word dominant where you are dominant, where you aren't you don't. India is not dominant on us, so we don;t call it or accept it as a dominant player. Yeah it can be an important one in its own context, while we are important player in our own context due to our location and other factors.

Bussssss ??? That is all that you got ??

So if i start telling in what India is not the leader, then you guys will say such and such is coming from a moderator and the usual crying foul play.

Taimi Sir..With all due respect Moderator doesn't mean that you cannot share your views...Heck we would love to see a meaningful discussion between you and Peshwa...This way people like me can learn a few things...As long as you both keep yourself cool and discuss with in the parameter of civization and forum rules i don't see a reason anyone will have a problem...So i would request you to kindly share your thoughts on this...

Peshwa sir i am sure you would be ready to counter Taimi's points

Most of the countries in South Asia are looking up to us mate..I posted it clearly in reply of Omar posts..please read it..just an example is the recent attempt of military take over of Sri Lanka by their army..Sri Lanka only informed one country thats India..it clearly shows how much they look up to us..i gave examples from Nepal to Maldives in that post ..

That was no take over, it was a hoax played up by the democratic govt to get rid of an adversary and clean up the army from the loyals of the ex-army chief.

Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom