What's new

Indian Army to procure 300 light tanks

He is clear in what He asks and clear in what He offers. The choice is up

if the light tanks were made indigenously that would be great.... i heard that DRDO light tanks were rejected by the army.

Last edited:
by ice men

i have a question the TESTS are being carried out in RAJHISTAN....means these tanks are being built with PAKISTAN being kept in mind....

because in ANCHARAL PARDESH(disputed terriroty) between china and india doesn't have any deserts....so much for indian claims of PAKISTAN is NOT our ENEMY!!
Arunachal Pradesh is part of India.you made India your enemy.

by ice_man
well the difference is we clearly say INDIA is our ENEMY!! but the indians always act that for them no one is the enemy and if really someone is then it would be china in terms of size and aggression....atleast admit it like MEN that all your defence procurement is concentrated towards us!! WE ARE THE THREAT!!
thanks for admitting it.:lol:

by shchinese
if india can have a honest understanding of its industrial capacity, they could have already got the Tank-EX in service.

a 58 ton tank is not within india's capacity - when you are not even industrialized, how the hell to come up with a 58ton arjun crap?
248 arjuns are ordered.i guess you are happy now.

Heavy Tanks like M1 Abaram, Arjuna and others are good for desert warfare, but It will create a problem in Muddy fields (Like Punjab). the Mobility will affected due to weight, This was one of the reason why Pakistan refused to consider Abaram. Bhisma is tried and tested in Muddy scenarios and it has out performed any of its contemporary Design...

@Topic: The light tanks will be easy to carry to Hilly areas (Be it near Pakistan or China).... Looking at the coming Conflict India focus is towards Mountain warfare, LCA, LCH, ALH and many such projects are made keeping Mountain warfare in mind.

Looking at growing Chinese growing appetite Conflicts are Inevitable. what I can see is that their Arm race is not for USA or Russia...

The benefit of Light tank is, it can reach much before enemy start moving there Tank division (if offensive).... can reach early to defend the Attack,, till the time Main weapons reach (If Defensive)

Well I thought we were developing one with Poland.

No co-development, Poland is developing an own one, that we might procure, the Anders light tank:

Anders_Obrum_Bumar_light_tank_tracked_armoured_fighting_platform_vehicle_Poland_Polish_MSPO_2010_defense_exhibition_001.jpg

But I don't think it would be a good alternative, because it is nearly as heavy as our T72 MBTs.
IMO these so called "light tanks" are not meant for normal tank battles, or roles, but to offer a highly mobile and effective fire support to our ground troops. We have to keep in mind that we are talking about IFV here, that get a 105mm, or even 120mm gun, but won't have a comparable armor like real tanks. The Anders is also an IFV mainly and available in several versions and one of it is the "tank" version.
Same reason why the US offered and even showed the Stryker IFV in exercises with IA ( U.S. Army To Conduct Joint Exercise with India - AUSA - 2009 ), which is also available with a 105mm gun (Stryker MGS Mobile Gun System):

Stryker_MGS_Mbile_Gun_System_USA_07.jpg

But the Stryker is very light armored and needs further upgrades which increases the weight. According to latest reports, it won't be possible to transport them with the C130Js, like it was intended before.

I would prefer the Patria AMV (Finland) wheeled and the CV 90 (Sweden) tracked IFV for IA, which are proven, widely exported vehicles with several different versions available and even common turrets:

Patria AMV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combat Vehicle 90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Patria AMV with 105mm gun
images

120mm gun systems are possible too
images

CV90 - 120 light tank with a 120mm gun
CV90-120.jpg

Also interesting, that both are available with the same 120mm mortar turrets and IA expressed interests in such systems too:

Nemo, single barrel mortar:
LAND_Patria_AMV_w_NEMO_lg.jpg

AMOS, twin barrelled mortar:

AMOS_CV90.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Actually there was some news about co-developmet of light tanks with Poland..

Although CV90-120T if procured will enhance the Army's capability to another level..Same can be said about AMOS ..

Jha/Sancho -

Why are we talking abt what army will procure??, to be honest they will not procure anything..:lol:

But one thing is that, Iam happy I can see some really nice IFVs and light tanks from these pics :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom