What's new

Indian army will never carry out coup, ex-Army chief

Why don't army personnel participate in politics?

We can always use military chaps being democratically elected. They certainly will have a greater economic and strategic vision for this country than current UPA.
I dont see why army people will bring more economic and strategic vision. Are they some special people?
They are allowed to fight in election like everybody else, same as doctors or professors..

I dont see why army people will bring more economic and strategic vision. Are they some special people?
They are allowed to fight in election like everybody else, same as doctors or professors..

Not while they are in the army, they are not allowed. Nobody who is employed directly by the govt of India (with some exceptions) can do that.

Not while they are in the army, they are not allowed. Nobody who is employed directly by the govt of India (with some exceptions) can do that.

Yeah, I mean after they leave army...

Why don't army personnel participate in politics?

We can always use military chaps being democratically elected. They certainly will have a greater economic and strategic vision for this country than current UPA.

I seriously don't think that Army personnel fits the bill of being a Politician in a country like India. India is not US where we have more or less Uniform set of people who are highly educated, India is a country of many ethnic diversity, religious diversity, regional diversity, Class Diversity etc. Though we all hate our politicians, but i will like to praise them on this count that In the last 65 years, they have been highly successful in maintaining the UNITY IN DIVERSITY of our Great Nation. An Army Personnel (sorry to say) doesn't understand these little/large differences, they may be best in there JOB, but when in comes to Playing (GOOD) Politics in India, they will only commit scores of Political Blunders.

So, my take, keep the Generals out of Politics, we will do much better without them.

You must be incredible dumb if you believe that will happen. India is a democracy. The Army will defend the country from external aggressors and not intervene in politics. All our nations achievements have only be made possible thanks to our stable and democratic system.

Kiddos like you writing endless BS dont know about the life in a non democratic state. Grow up.

Apart from that, a non parliamentary system will never work in a diverse country like India. The Army itself is so diverse that something like a coup will ever happen.

Because its undemocratic! However, ex soldiers are allowed to participate AFAIK. But I dont know how an ex officer has more knowledge about politics or the economy than a diplomat or an excellent economist like MMS....

No you must be incredibly naive to think just because we are a democracy, undemocratic scenarios cannot occur. To some we appear as a bananna republic. You took a very simple statement from me and added a whole lotta of BS to it. I didn't say non democracy, non parliamentary system or the life under such a system. You did. Our achievements have nothing to do with democracy. We have made achievements for centuries. Instead you should be thanking our scientists and such ppl.

I was implying that sometimes the miltary may have to take control and re set Democracy under desirable uncorrupt practices. Thanks for understanding.:coffee:

No you must be incredibly naive to think just because we are a democracy, undemocratic scenarios cannot occur. To some we appear as a bananna republic. You took a very simple statement from me and added a whole lotta of BS to it. I didn't say non democracy, non parliamentary system or the life under such a system. You did. Our achievements have nothing to do with democracy. We have made achievements for centuries. Instead you should be thanking our scientists and such ppl.

I was implying that sometimes the miltary may have to take control and re set Democracy under desirable uncorrupt practices. Thanks for understanding.:coffee:

1. There would not be a unified India without democracy, thus any achievement made is also due to democracy.
2. Anyone taking action without acting in accordance to the constitution is a threat to democracy and destroys it. The Army has ever done and wont do it, it wont even dare it since our society is already too deeply rooted in democracy.

I agree wih @arp2041- this was an absurd question to even ask. There has never been a doubt in the minds of any sensible person that those exercises were anything other than routine military exercises. Once again the Indian media picked up a non-story and turned it into a huge scandal just like what they have done again and again and are doing right now with the AW-101 deal.

The Indian military knows its place the question of intervening in them even contemplating getting involved in the poltical sphere. The Indian military knows what it's purpose is and they are proud of their apolitical nature. Additionally they are smart enough to see how successful or lack there of, military rule has been in India's neighbourhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree wih @arp2041- this was an absurd question to even ask. There has never been a doubt in the minds of any sensible person that those exercises were anything other than routine military exercises. Once again the Indian media picked up a non-story and turned it into a huge scandal just like what they have done again and again and are doing right now with the AW-101 deal.

The Indian military knows its place the question of intervening in them even contemplating getting involved in the poltical sphere. The Indian military knows what it's purpose is and they are proud of their apolitical nature. Additionally they are smart enough to see how successful or lack there of, military rule has been in India's neighbourhood.

both incidents are not scandals, our civil - military relation is not as good as its made out to be.
In the first one, govt was indeed nervous, whether army really wanted to do is not the issue.

AW-101 is a massive scandal, and I have a feeling that people at high level of military are involved. There is a lot of corruption in the forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Quoted for Muslim Dalals of India)

You write a sentence against Pakistan ... it is declared as a troll....and this S_it H_ad write derogatory remarks on Indian Muslims...and yet his remark remain on this page. It seems that our moderators are biased...:tdown:

Army will never encroach upon political power, unless it sees that the union is in trouble. That is not a likely scenario, but a possibility exists. If regionalism gets out of hand, then this same Army will be called upon to intervene.

Then in that case President of India will take charge not Army.

Indian army and top generals are scared of running a country and performing a coup. That the reality.

Indian army and top generals are scared of running a country and performing a coup. That the reality.

Shabby Pakistani.
If that's what an army should be capabLe of then it's better without it.
Coup in a democracy with elections 5 years,doesn't make sense.
Every country is not Pakistan.

1. There would not be a unified India without democracy, thus any achievement made is also due to democracy.
2. Anyone taking action without acting in accordance to the constitution is a threat to democracy and destroys it. The Army has ever done and wont do it, it wont even dare it since our society is already too deeply rooted in democracy.

(1) Maybe, maybe not. Look at how Ashoka united India.

(2) Military can and should step in to correct Democracy when its gone awry. Systemic problems cannot be corrected .....60yrs have shown an incompetence not seen elsewhere in a civilization that has great potential. The military stepping in can help to reinforce our democratic values and take correct measures to root out the corrupt .criminal elements in our govt

Back
Top Bottom