What's new

Indian Muslims want 'Ground Zero Mosque' relocated

linkinpark

Reaction score
Indian Muslims want 'Ground Zero Mosque' relocated

The Washington-based Association of Indian Muslims of America asked the Cordoba Institute and other promoters of the Islamic Center termed as the 'Ground Zero Mosque' to relocate it in the interest of the larger good of the community.

A statement issued by Kaleem Kawaja, a leader of the association noted that the initiative of a set of New York City Muslims to build the center, a couple of blocks from the site of the Twin Towers has generated a super-heated controversy and much tension in US. In this tense situation a national debate is raging across America. It is very laudable that the New York City government headed by Mayor Mike Bloomberg, the US government headed by President Barrack Obama, and a large segment of US intellectuals and community leaders have defended the religious freedom right of America's Muslims to build their places of worship anywhere in US, it noted.

However, it is time for the American Muslims to take the initiative and make a serious effort to resolve this unseemly controversy and diffuse this very divisive tension. With a view to respect the sentiments of many Americans, New York City Muslims should voluntarily relocate this Islamic Center, to a new location in lower Manhattan that is further away from Ground Zero.

In taking this initiative on their own they will earn much goodwill of the entire American nation, will resolve the current tense relationship between Muslim Americans and other Americans, and will build a very durable bridge of understanding between Muslims and others in America.

On behalf of about two hundred thousand American-Muslims with origin in India, we appeal to relocate it, the statement said.

I'm glad that Indian Muslims have showed much needed sensitivity to stave-off hatred towards Muslims in general. I hope other Muslims also show same sensitivity.

A Pakistani Poet's few words that fit perfectly upon what Indian Muslims have become...

Yeh jo das karore hain
Jahl ka nichor hain
Inki fikr so gai
Har ummeed ki kiran
Zulmaton main kho gai

Yeh khabar darust hai
Inki maut hogai
Be-shaoor log hain
Zindagi ka rog hain
Aur teray (their tyrant rulers) paas hai
Unke dard ki dawa

Tu hai mere subhe nau
Tere baad raat hai
Bolte jo chand hain
Sab yeh sharh pasand hain
Inki khench de zabaan
Inka ghoont de gala

Jin ko tha zabaan pe naaz
Chup hain woh zabaan daraaz
Chain hai samaaj main
Be-misaal fark hai
Kal main aur aaj main
Apne kharch par hain kaid
Log teray raaj main

A Pakistani Poet's few words that fit perfectly upon what Indian Muslims have become...

Yeh jo das karore hain
Jahl ka nichor hain
Inki fikr so gai
Har ummeed ki kiran
Zulmaton main kho gai

Yeh khabar darust hai
Inki maut hogai
Be-shaoor log hain
Zindagi ka rog hain
Unke dard ki dawa

Tu hai mere subhe nau
Tere baad raat hai
Bolte jo chand hain
Inki khench de zabaan
Inka ghoont de gala

Chain hai samaaj main
Be-misaal fark hai
Kal main aur aaj main
Log teray raaj main

Kind of over generalization.. Isnt it?? Specially since the people in question here are not residents of India but Americans of Indian Origin..

Kind of over generalization.. Isnt it?? Specially since the people in question here are not residents of India but Americans of Indian Origin..
Obviously I meant it for those in leadership or celebrity positions within the Indian Muslim community. On Indian soil or elsewhere.

Obviously I meant it for those in leadership or celebrity positions within the Indian Muslim community. On Indian soil or elsewhere.

And they having an opinion about the Ground zero mosque different from another set of Muslims, in USA or otherwise, makes them all those things (like a disease). ? Havent other Muslim groups (not of Indian Origin) have aired similar opinion?

There are hardly any Indian Muslims here anyways.

Not gonna make a difference.

PS:

I don't support this mosque either.

With $100 million, they could make a mega mosque somewhere else instead of in a tiny street.

I'm glad that Indian Muslims have showed much needed sensitivity to stave-off hatred towards Muslims in general. I hope other Muslims also show same sensitivity.

a.) what role do indian Muslims alone have in where the Masjid is situated?

b.) your statement seems to suggest that b/c of some act carried out by certain individuals, the whole religious group should suffer.

the construction of the Masjid there may be controversial to some (for reasons nothing less than intolerance) --but if you look at the realities, there are even 9/11 victims' families who are supporting the initiative; even the Mayor of New York is in favour of it.

if it were a shrine to commemorate the perpetrators of the act, i would understand....but it isn't, it's a Masjid --with an elaborate teaching/recreational/educational centre from what i heard

a.) what role do indian Muslims alone have in where the Masjid is situated?

b.) your statement seems to suggest that b/c of some act carried out by certain individuals, the whole religious group should suffer.

the construction of the Masjid there may be controversial to some (for reasons nothing less than intolerance) --but if you look at the realities, there are even 9/11 victims' families who are supporting the initiative; even the Mayor of New York is in favour of it.

if it were a shrine to commemorate the perpetrators of the act, i would understand....but it isn't, it's a Masjid --with an elaborate teaching/recreational/educational centre from what i heard

Indian american muslims as a section are clearly saying that they appeal it relocated not a demand. They have voiced their opinion according to which construction of cordoba house might cause revulsion among majority american against muslims (according to recent polls it seems so) and they don't want it being a section of muslims in US. Whether their appeal will be listened to or not is a different matter but they have made clear their stand and showed sensitivity to american sentiments which you may take it as intolerance due to a different point of view.

I don't support this mosque either.

With $100 million, they could make a mega mosque somewhere else instead of in a tiny street.

Not your choice how they spend their money. If they wish worship without having to drive out of the city, and if they are willing to pay for it, that's their right as guaranteed in the Constitution.

Yeh jo das karore hain
Jahl ka nichor hain
Inki fikr so gai
Har ummeed ki kiran
Zulmaton main kho gai

Yeh khabar darust hai
Inki maut hogai
Be-shaoor log hain
Zindagi ka rog hain
Unke dard ki dawa

Tu hai mere subhe nau
Tere baad raat hai
Bolte jo chand hain
Inki khench de zabaan
Inka ghoont de gala

Chain hai samaaj main
Be-misaal fark hai
Kal main aur aaj main
Log teray raaj main

Hypocrisy personified! IMHO, that poem was for introspection not to accuse or abuse another community! Alas!

Btw, so much for Muslim brotherhood, on one hand people pine for a Ummah, but then because of Indian origins, Muslims from the great subcontinent are Kafirs? That really smacks of hypocrisy!

And to that guy who asked what Indian Muslims have to do with the Mosque in NY? I ask you "sir", what have Pakistani Muslims got to do with that Mosque either? And the voice of Indians, be it Hindus or Muslims carries far more weight than many other communities, least of which comprise your compatriots!

I already see the victory for the moderate and sane voices in bringing about the acceptance for a Mosque in the NY area when the wounds of 9/11 still fester in many an American heart. So for the greater good of the community, wise men spoke.

All those who discriminate Indian Muslims just because they happen to love India are idiots. I seriously question their commitment to Islam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom