What's new

Indian Navy New killer Machine P8i

P8I with Brahmos II hypersonic is coool

American platform....
Indo-Russian Missile
Indian communications on P8i

Nice combination

awesome news ; it would be better to go for at least 12 P8Is.

I believe that "diet" version is when compare with the US version of this plane. Boeing water down the capability of this plane for export. As a result, people call this the "diet" version as its not as capable as the US version. In any case, India is the only country currently getting the water down version. I believe most export version would be the water down version. But even the water down version is better than any alternatives out there.

No, you have completely misunderstood the programs- the P-8"I" ordered by the IN is the same with the same capabilities as the P-8"A" for the USN but has certain INDIAN avionics and sensors as demanded by IN from the start. I suppose to make the plane "sanction proof" and to go around the CISMOSA/LSA issues. Hence the "I" designation because of the INDIAN components.

The "Diet" version offered is an entirely different beast. It has been proposed to IN in an to fill an entirely different role. The "diet" version has been offered in the IN tender for MRPA which is to be used for surface targets and so doesn't need ASW capability whilst the P-8I does. Boeing has offered this "diet" version in a bid to make some MORE $$$ out of India and the other contenders in this tender are the Embracer 145 and CN-27 "SPARTAN". A completely separate tender to the P-8Is already ordered by IN.

Haa man I am not even going to reply to you because when you throw in arguments like " we have deployed our strike elements on the Western border to stop the militants from slipping in" then there is nothing left to argue. Your deployment reflects your orientation pal, you are really outa your zone here. Do yourself a favor and check up on how many forward air bases and armored and mechanized elements you Air Force and Army have on the Western border. It is alright to accept the reality ramu, shows that you can take things like a man.

With not an iota of logic and taking current deployment (that will change based on need) to project the orientation shows your grasp. Anyways, have you heard of cold start. Our cold start is Pakistan specific but our orientation is China centric. I know that more than you do.

I think it is high time you stop assuming and read a few article published from the defence colleges in India.

I be,vie it's more than likely that IN will induct more than initial 12 as there is no issues of cash and it seems this is how Indian defence procurement goes- small initial batch, try out, adapt/develop doctrine, identify need for more, further bigger order placed.

i don't think so,if i m not wrong the total allowed consingment is 12 and we have already ordered 12 :D

i don't think so,if i m not wrong the total allowed consingment is 12 and we have already ordered 12 :D

what do you mean allowed? As IN can buy as many as they want if they desire to spend their allocation og the defence budget in this way.

what do you mean allowed? As IN can buy as many as they want if they desire to spend their allocation og the defence budget in this way.

Not exactly... The defense deal with USA follow different route... First there Senate clears the deal. Suppose American senate clears 12 P-8I, then the company can sell only 12 P8I, not more than that...

For getting 13th , Navy will submit New RFP (or renew there old RFP), Us administration on discuss on that and then they will decide whether tUSA will sell it to India or not...

Correct me If I am wrong

Approval of senate not guarantee the sell of product, India can deny to buy its product...

P8I with Brahmos II hypersonic is coool

American platform....
Indo-Russian Missile
Indian communications on P8i

The P8Is will never carry Brahmos, because the US and the Russians won't allow the integration, besides I have some big doubts if they current version fits into the weapon bay, or isn't too heavy for the wingstations. Harpoon missiles, torpedos and possibly PGMs are more likely weapons for it.

The "Diet" version offered is an entirely different beast. It has been proposed to IN in an to fill an entirely different role. The "diet" version has been offered in the IN tender for MRPA which is to be used for surface targets and so doesn't need ASW capability whilst the P-8I does. Boeing has offered this "diet" version in a bid to make some MORE $$$ out of India and the other contenders in this tender are the Embracer 145 and CN-27 "SPARTAN". A completely separate tender to the P-8Is already ordered by IN.

That's not correct! The MRMR tender is for an medium range class MPA and the RFI even says that it must have hardpoints to carry weapons, be it missiles or torpedos. The main differences to the normal P8I are smaller tanks and shorter range:

the derivative proposed for the MRMR RFI will look the same as the P-8I and be based on the 737 platform

Boeing to pitch 'diet' P-8 to Indian Navy | StratPost

The article says that the diet version would only be capable of using surface weapons and not sub-surface, but I think that's a mistake, because it wouldn't fit to the RFI and the external hardpoints can use both anyway.

Also I guess you mixed up the CN 295 from EADS casa, with the C27J Spartan from Alenia, the earlier is available as an MPA, the latter not. The "diet" P8I might offer some commonality, but is still an overkill for the requirements of this competition, either IN goes for a smaller aircraft that is cheaper to procure and operate, or they just by additional and fully capable P8Is.

More in the Bay of Bengal and the Strait of Malacca. Don't forget that they are mainly meant to replace the TU 142 and most of them were based at INS Rajali near Chenai, but some were shifted to INS Hansa near Goa as well. I guess they will be mixed with the MRMR for both sides, although I would like to see some MPAs based on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands when the forces build up full fledged air bases there. Thiruvananthapuram, or Cochin in Kerala should be good locations to cover the south costs as well, I think we need way more MPAs for early and long range detection.
The General idea was to operate two bases one in EAST and on in WEST. Hence the TU 142 was based only in INS Rajali Arakkonam and in INS HANSA Goa. It was Never shifted.
Again I will tell U why we cant have bases like Rajali and Hansa in those places which stated. These are Air Naval Bases belonging to IN not IAF.
U should see the Runway which is quite big and long which necessary for these TU's and if P8 comes for them as well.(INS Rajali has the second longest 5.2km military Runway in Asia second only to Russians.) However your reasoning is correct but due to long range of these aircraft it was decided these two bases are enough for ASW.

P: I live in Arakkonam so couldnt resist ..... Hoping to see these new P8 sooner...

Again I will tell U why we cant have bases like Rajali and Hansa in those places which stated. These are Air Naval Bases belonging to IN not IAF.

IN already has an airbase on the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, INS Utkrosh:

http://www./NAVY/Aviation/Stations/72-INS-Utkrosh.html

But of course the runway must be appropriate, but I was talking about the new fully fledged air bases that are planed there and I don't see a reason why IN and IAF couldn't use such bigger aircrafts like P8I, IL 76/78, or in future maybe C17 and A330 MRTT from combined bases. The P8I of course has the enough range, but stationed at these forwarded bases on the islands, they would need less time to return and could stay longer at patrol missions. Btw, IF IAF has the aim of refuelling the P8Is in the air, using the same base for tankers would be useful as well, because you safe a lot of fuel to reach the MPAs and it won't be the P8Is alone in future that needs this capability (shore based AWACS, MRMR aircrafts, fighters). Adding more tankers is as important, to increase the range and endurance of the MPAs!

last i heard Saab 2000 and beriev be-200 were also competing for MRMR.
Although i don't see why beriev a-40 Albatross was not offered to IN? It would be perfect to operate from island territories.
I request some1 to kindly throw more light on this matter?

IN already has an airbase on the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, INS Utkrosh:

http://www./NAVY/Aviation/Stations/72-INS-Utkrosh.html

But of course the runway must be appropriate, but I was talking about the new fully fledged air bases that are planed there and I don't see a reason why IN and IAF couldn't use such bigger aircrafts like P8I, IL 76/78, or in future maybe C17 and A330 MRTT from combined bases. The P8I of course has the enough range, but stationed at these forwarded bases on the islands, they would need less time to return and could stay longer at patrol missions. Btw, IF IAF has the aim of refuelling the P8Is in the air, using the same base for tankers would be useful as well, because you safe a lot of fuel to reach the MPAs and it won't be the P8Is alone in future that needs this capability (shore based AWACS, MRMR aircrafts, fighters). Adding more tankers is as important, to increase the range and endurance of the MPAs!
INS Utkrosh is just a small base which operates Dornier and chetaks....
It was often said that why this place was chosen for this kind of aircraft.
1. Close proximity with bay of Bengal,
2. Yet deep inside the cost which provides geographical protection from enemy.

When placed in these Island they are easily exposed to the enemy air and Naval attack besides logistics in maintaining the base. And finally the Run way...

Back
Top Bottom