What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

Bro, are you sure that we are going to assign 3 frigates and 3 destroyers for each carrier?
2 destroyers and 2 frigates would be more correct.
Are there any sources that mentions the use of 3 frigates and 3 destroyers? Thanks in advance.

Read my previous post again
Actually all this is my assessment Based on a speach By Navy Chief Admiral Suresh Mehta
Who said that Viraats CBG will be transfered to Vikramaditya And Vikrant will use the New Frigates and Destroyers which india Will induct in the next 5 Yrs as Its CBG

If u look at the CBG of Viraat then IT COMPRISES OF
2 Delhi Class Destroyers , 2 Talwar class Frigates , 1 fleet tanker , 1-2 Kilo class Submarines
Thats a CBG of 7 ships For Viraat
Now i dont expect indian CBG to be of size of a USN CBG but it will definitely be more substantial than present CBG

While u may say that India will use 2 destroyers and frigates each , But u will definitely have to add 2 P-28 ASW corvettes to the CBG coz the navy will build 12 of them , and they will be useful for defence against submarines
We will be retiring the Bulk of Kilo class submarines in the next 10 yrs so u can expect Arihant and Akula to replace them in CBG

Russia to modernize fifth Indian submarine

160177134.jpg

A fifth Indian Kilo class diesel-electric submarine has arrived to Russia's Zvezdochka shipyard for an overhaul under a recent contract, the shipyard company said on Thursday.

Russia has built ten Kilo class submarines for India and has already overhauled four of them at the Zvezdochka shipyard in the north of the country.

INS Sindhurakshak is being upgraded under a direct contract between the Zvezdochka shipyard and the Indian defense ministry, signed on June 4, 2010.

The upgrade program includes a complete overhaul of the submarine, including its hull structures, as well as improved control systems, a sonar, electronic warfare systems, and an integrated weapon control system. The upgrade is reported to cost around $80 million.

Russia's Kilo-class diesel-electric submarines are well-known for being extremely quiet boats, and have been purchased by China, India, Iran, Poland, Romania and Algeria.

A lot of modernization in navy going on...First we get our 8 Intercontinental Bombers upgraded and now our Subs getting modernized...

Bombers upgraded ? can you post more info ?

In the last page i posted an article about Tu-142 getting upgraded to carry 6 Brahmos and other bombs...Thats why i called them bombers (even though officially they may not be ones)..posting again..

TSAMTO, August 10. Indian Navy after the planned repairs and modernization at OAO TAVIA "referred to the long-range anti-aircraft Tu-142ME. This year for the Indian Navy will be renovated and upgraded another Tu-142ME, ITAR-TASS quoted the press service of the enterprise.

The report does not indicate how many Tu-142ME has been repairing and upgrading.

According TSAMTO, a contract to modernize eight long Tu-142ME Indian Navy to be signed in 2005. Perhaps the contract was signed later. For some time the program was in limbo because of interference by Israel, has offered the Indian Navy to modernize the Tu-142ME by a tripartite agreement with Russia. Moreover, repeatedly receive a message stating that the contract was eventually shelved.

In 1986, India was delivered eight anti-aircraft Tu-142MK under the designation Tu-142ME, which were built at the Taganrog Aviation Plant. These aircraft were equipped with search and track anti-system "Kite-K, which included towed magnetometer MMC-106" Ladoga "and equipment Hydrological Intelligence Nerchinsk. All of these airplanes require a major overhaul, during which they must be equipped with a new onboard equipment, upgraded turboprop engines and new weapons systems. Under the original plan, the renovation of all eight aircraft scheduled for 6 years and completed in 2010-2011. In this period of operation of each aircraft shall be extended for another 16 years.

The upgraded Tu-142ME can perform tasks to monitor and protect the territorial waters, conduct electronic reconnaissance, search, track and defeat the latest low-noise submarines surfaced and submerged, moving at full speed or low speed, or lying motionless on the ground at any time of day, and adverse weather conditions. When you install missile Tu-142ME can strike at surface ships, land and coastal sites.

Maximum range Tu-142ME is 12 thousand km , the maximum speed at the weight of 138 tons at a height of 7 thousand meters - 855 km / h, cruising speed - 735 km / h, the flight duration of 9 hours. Maximum weight of payload in the case of installation on the aircraft on 6 missile BrahMos "is 9,6 m (the option to install the CD" Brahmos "proposed by the Indian Navy), normal weight payload in the case of CDP 8 X 35 - 4.4 tons. In a typical search-and-shock version of the plane is placed to 140 sonobuoys.

Well sorry to go of the topic here but I just read somewhere that Royal Navy aircraft carrier may be sold to India. It's a news on Nov 2009....

Royal Navy aircraft carrier may be sold to India | Business | guardian.co.uk
I don't think that serious thoughts were ever given to it but if at all that's somewhere in the long term plans then I'd say go for it as Russia has long delayed the delivery of the AC to us causing great disturbance in the fleet....

Well , selling one of the carriers is a possibility however it all depends on the financial strength of UK when these carriers enter service in 2016+

guys dose any body has info on the indian future aircraft carrier ins vishal .??

As of now the updates say that IAC II is still on paper and the construction has not yet begun. It was supposed to get launched in late 2010 for construction and was supposed to be ready for sea trials in 2012, since the IAC I is already slightly behind the schedule there is no further update on that. It's being known that the IAC II will be of a higher tonnage of above 65,000 tons and will utilise steam catapults. It will be much bigger and capable of operating fighters, AEW (airborne early-warning) aircraft, tankers etc.... It is expected to enter service by 2017 and will be a CATOBAR carrier....

Reports: Russia leases nuclear sub to India

MOSCOW — Russia has reportedly leased a nuclear-powered submarine to India.

The RIA Novosti and Interfax news agencies said Friday the Nerpa submarine manned by an Indian crew has sailed to India.

The sub had an accident that killed 20 Russian seamen during sea trials in 2008. Its fire-extinguishing system activated in error, spewing Freon gas that suffocated the victims and injured 21 others.

Officials have blamed the accident on human error, but details of the official investigation have been kept under wraps.

It was the worst accident in the Russian navy since the sinking of the Kursk nuclear submarine killed 118 seamen in 2000.

Russia has been a top weapons supplier to India since the Soviet times.

The Associated Press: Reports: Russia leases nuclear sub to India

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the formal induction of the Nerpa (INS Chakra) is just a matter of few weeks. Congrats fellow countrymen.

As of now the updates say that IAC II is still on paper and the construction has not yet begun. It was supposed to get launched in late 2010 for construction and was supposed to be ready for sea trials in 2012, since the IAC I is already slightly behind the schedule there is no further update on that. It's being known that the IAC II will be of a higher tonnage of above 65,000 tons and will utilise steam catapults. It will be much bigger and capable of operating fighters, AEW (airborne early-warning) aircraft, tankers etc.... It is expected to enter service by 2017 and will be a CATOBAR carrier....

-full construction and systems integration complete (and even ready for sea trials) in just two years !!

i really doubt that my friend .......

Even I do bro, but let us all hope for the best... That's all we can do as Im not in power and neither are you... ;)

Indian warships on goodwill visit to Africa

INS_MYSORE_166152f.jpg

File photo of INS Mysore, one of the four warshipsm which have been deployed on a goodwill visit to several maritime nations of Africa.

Four Indian warships - INS Mysore, INS Tabar, INS Ganga and INS Aditya - have been deployed on a goodwill visit to several maritime nations of Africa and the Indian Ocean.

The warships will hold naval exercises with the navies and coast guards of Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, Seychelles and Mauritius besides making port calls at Reunion Island and Mozambique, a defence spokesperson said.

Wide-ranging professional discussions and a number of sports and social engagements will take place with the host navies while in harbour, and it will be followed up with naval exercises, he said.

The visit will also include the biennial naval exercise ‘IBSAMAR’ among the navies of India, Brazil and South Africa.

The naval exercises are meant to promote greater inter-operability and foster synergy between the Indian Navy and other participating navies.

The Indian Navy has already been conducting formal exercises annually with several foreign navies since several years, such as the Varuna series with the French Navy, the Indra series with the Russian Navy and the Konkan series with the U.K.’s Royal Navy.

The professional skills and experiences exchanged during these interactions would go a long way in enhancing cooperation and understanding the nuances of naval operations, as well as disaster management and combating maritime threats of terrorism and piracy, he said.

The visit also seeks to demonstrate the Indian Navy’s blue water capability to deploy, operate and sustain a maritime task force well away from home for an extended duration.

The current interaction will feature advanced aspects of naval warfare, including anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine operations.

The visiting ships are part of the Navy’s Western Fleet under the Western Naval Command based at Mumbai.

The Task Group is headed by Rear Admiral R.K. Pattanaik, Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet.

Over the decades, India has made substantial advances in terms of designing and building warships indigenously, the spokesperson said.

Three of these four ships have been designed by the Design Bureau of the Indian Navy and built at the public sector shipyards — the Mazagon Dockyard (Mumbai) and the Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers (Kolkata).

Destroyer INS Mysore and frigates INS Tabar and INS Ganga are equipped with state-of-the-art weapons and sensors, while replenishment ship INS Aditya is capable of sustaining the warships for prolonged durations at sea.

India’s naval assets have been increasingly involved in the region’s maritime issues, such as hydrographic survey, search and rescue, anti-piracy operations and also in providing humanitarian assistance.

The Hindu : News / National : Indian warships on goodwill visit to Africa

Indian Navy For New Rotory-UAVs

2007-10-04+Camcopter+shipboard_6-796285.jpg

2007-10-04+Camcopter+shipboard_7-798141.jpg

The photos above show Austrian firm Schiebel's CAMCOPTER® S-100 unmanned helicopter during a demo for the Indian Navy aboard one of its Sukanya-class offshore patrol vessel. This was October 2007 in the Arabian Sea. Three years forward, the Navy today published an RFI to support a potential buy of VTOL UAVs -- really, rotory-wing shipborne UAVs. The Navy supports the IAI-HAL Chetak-based NRUAV programme, but has identified the need for the capability before the tentative timeframe offered by IAI and HAL to operationalise the NRUAV. The Northrop-Grumman MQ-8 Fire Scout is a certain contender.

----------------------------------------------

Here comes FIRE SCOUT...Navy seems to be interested in American stuff much more now...P-8I, E-2D, F-35/F-18 and now this Fire-Scout..

Back
Top Bottom