What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

Navy to operate 5 nuke submarines by end of decade

Visakhapatnam: Indian Navy is all set to operate five nuclear submarines by the end of this decade, including two leased from Russia and three built indigenously.

India is considering a proposal to induct another nuclear submarine built in Russia and has plans of indigenously building two more Arihant Class underwater vessels to guard its maritime boundaries, Defence Minister AK Antony said.

The Navy yesterday formally commissioned the Akula-II Class INS Chakra in Vishakhapatnam and is set to launch the INS Arihant for sea trials soon.

On India's plans to expand its nuclear submarine fleet, Antony said the government was considering a proposal in this regard and the country can afford to buy another such vessel.

"There is a proposal...Cost is not necessary. India can afford it... In the next few years, the Navy will get more submarines," the Defence Minister said at the commissioning of INS Chakra.

The Navy which currently operates more than 10 conventional diesel-electric submarines of the Kilo and HDW Class, has plans of inducting a dozen more in the next decade.

Already six Scorpene submarines are being constructed at Mazagon Dockyards in Mumbai in collaboration with French DCNS and six more are planned to be built under the Project-75 India.

Terming its relation with India as "privileged strategic partnership", Russian Ambassador Alexander M Kadakin had said, that "Russia can give everything India needs".

Russia is also helping India in building three follow-on Talwar class guided missile frigates of which two are expected to be inducted this year.

^^^
I thought now the number of Arihant class sanctioned by the MOD and CCS is 5 from 3 (earlier). The rate at which HSL is going i think they can finish all 5 by 2020, although all 5 might not enter the service by 2020.

Which are the expected numbers to replace Tu 142 and IL 38, but some more in both classes would be useful, especially since it's not clear when Saras could replace the Do 228 in similar roles.

Frankly i see a need for 24 P-8I and 12 MRMR for Navy and 9 for ICGS... And dont see dorniers being replaced anytime soon.
This is a very cost effective solution and if upgraded will kill the Saras project for good...

Visakhapatnam: Indian Navy is all set to operate five nuclear submarines by the end of this decade, including two leased from Russia and three built indigenously.

India is considering a proposal to induct another nuclear submarine built in Russia and has plans of indigenously building two more Arihant Class underwater vessels to guard its maritime boundaries, Defence Minister AK Antony said.

The Navy yesterday formally commissioned the Akula-II Class INS Chakra in Vishakhapatnam and is set to launch the INS Arihant for sea trials soon.

On India's plans to expand its nuclear submarine fleet, Antony said the government was considering a proposal in this regard and the country can afford to buy another such vessel.

"There is a proposal...Cost is not necessary. India can afford it... In the next few years, the Navy will get more submarines," the Defence Minister said at the commissioning of INS Chakra.

The Navy which currently operates more than 10 conventional diesel-electric submarines of the Kilo and HDW Class, has plans of inducting a dozen more in the next decade.

Already six Scorpene submarines are being constructed at Mazagon Dockyards in Mumbai in collaboration with French DCNS and six more are planned to be built under the Project-75 India.

Terming its relation with India as "privileged strategic partnership", Russian Ambassador Alexander M Kadakin had said, that "Russia can give everything India needs".

Russia is also helping India in building three follow-on Talwar class guided missile frigates of which two are expected to be inducted this year.

this weired as 3 more arihants are already under cons and once is coming out this year and one is in sea trials. if 2 comes from russia then we should have atleast 7 in ocean by 2020. but out of them deployable will only be 5 as all subs are never deployable at a given moment.

Very well written piece by R/Adm.(R) Raja Menon. The most telling part is: "The Himalayan border must remain peaceful and the way to ensure that it does, is to remain supreme in the Indian Ocean."
Actually he makes a compelling case for the long range nuclear sub fleet. The future is with the subs, not as we tend to think with Aircraft Carriers. To some extent, this line of thought is borne out by the fact that the IN has denominated IAC 1 (and the uncrystallised IAC 2) as ADS (Air Defence Ships). The submarine fleet will be better placed, more than to wage a war; to secure the peace.

R/Adm. Raja Menon has been a very capable professional submariner (apart from being the other half to the accomplished artist Anjolie Ela Menon). The powers that be ought to pay some attention to his views. The recent utterances of A.K. Anthony seem to indicate that it is so. But we'll have to wait for confirmation.

This is a very cost effective solution and if upgraded will kill the Saras project for good...
Actually Saras will be operationally cheaper than Dronier but Dronier consume more fuel than Saras but fo rthat firstly SAras will have to be operational.

^^^
I thought now the number of Arihant class sanctioned by the MOD and CCS is 5 from 3 (earlier). The rate at which HSL is going i think they can finish all 5 by 2020, although all 5 might not enter the service by 2020.

Yes right,those 5 ATV's wont enter service by 2020.the 2 more sanctioned will be in final stages or trials by then.In Total 5 Arihant class has been sanctioned and more can be ordered if required.

About SSN, I think we need to put up an Production line of SSN Derivative of ATV

Which supersonic cruise missiles INS Chakra using ??

mishter Soongupta says
"The good news is that it is almost a done deal for the Indian Navy to procure up to six Shin Maywa-built SS-3 amphibians for maritime patrol and search-and-rescue. This deal enjoys the political blessings from both India and Japan, and is most likely to be fast-tracked."
what are your thoughts on this??? true or another of fanboy's phantasies?

mishter Soongupta says
"The good news is that it is almost a done deal for the Indian Navy to procure up to six Shin Maywa-built SS-3 amphibians for maritime patrol and search-and-rescue. This deal enjoys the political blessings from both India and Japan, and is most likely to be fast-tracked."
what are your thoughts on this??? true or another of fanboy's phantasies?

Distinctly possible.
Remember the news reports that spoke of Indo-Japan defence deals some time ago. Earlier Japan (as part of post WW2 pacifist policies) did not export any military equipment. They have decided to discontinue that policy, at least wrt India.
So its a possible transaction.

^^^ yes I know it's possible but is it true that it's almost a done deal???

That I can't say because I am not in touch with this matter. However, logically speaking the deal is likely. Not to forget that the only other contendors were Russian and Canadian. The Canadian design is very old, while the MoD is trying to diversify away from Russian sources.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom