000bxpe6

000bwq4c

000bthb7

000bshga

000braea

000bqfbd

Source: kuleshovoleg's galleries

Navy packs a punch with stealth frigate | idrw.org

India is all set to add another swift but silent lethal punch to its blue-water arsenalby inducting a new stealth frigate with weapons and sensors for three-dimensional warfare.

The 3,970-tonne INS Teg frigate, armed with the 290-km BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles among other weapon systems, will be commissioned into the Indian Navy at Yantar shipyard at Kaliningrad in Russia on Friday morning.

Taking its name from the short, single-edged curved swords traditionally used by the Sikhs, INS Teg will be inducted in the presence of Southern Naval Command chief Vice-Admiral K N Sushil. Commanded by Captain Rakesh Kumar Dahiya, the frigate will sail with a crew of 24 officers and 229 sailors.

The other two stealth frigates, INS Tarkash and INS Trikand, ordered from Russia under a $1.15-billion contract inked in 2006, will follow in September, 2012, and July, 2013, said sources.

With an operating range of 4,500 nautical miles, these Teg-class frigates can handle many threats in all the three dimensions – air, surface and underwater. These warships pack more power than the earlier three Talwar-class frigates inducted from Russia in 2003-04, equipped as they are with BrahMos land-attack missiles, surface-to-air missiles, AK-630 close-in weapon systems, torpedoes, anti-submarine rockets and an upgraded multi-role combat suite.

The 125-metre-long INS Teg, which can operate an anti-submarine or early-warning helicopter from its deck, has innovative design features to ensure reduction in its radar cross-section, infra-red, magnetic and acoustic signatures as well as radiated underwater noise to enhance its stealthy nature.

Powered by advanced gas-turbine propulsion plants for speeds of 30 knots, the warship is also equipped with complex automated systems for NBC (nuclear, biological and chemical) defence and damage control. These three frigates and aircraft carrier INS Vikramditya (Admiral Gorshkov), which will be inducted from Russia in early-2013 under a revised refit cost of $2.33 billion, are the only warships among the 50 ordered by the Navy that will come from abroad.

Hi
ARK means Arakkaonam, a place in Tamilnadu, India. There is a naval base called INS rajali in Arakkonam. It is my hometown:cheesy:, I hope to get a glimpse very soon.:azn:

Dinesh
Holy SH!T!! Great find!! I didn't expect to see pics of fully painted IN P-8I for a while- handed to US they sure are masters of efficiency. Yeah regarding the refuelling probe no one ever said it would come with a probe but we can see the markings are there for boom refuelling and I expect the same for C-17. I believe it is very likely (unless MoD are feeling very foolish on day) that requirement for next gen refeulong tanker will be to have both types of refuelling capability so they can service the entire Indian armed forces aviation fleet like FrAF tankers.

+ interesting that they've painted the nose cone- wasn't on any of the promos like this- I assume an IN request. And does anyone know what "ARK" on the tail means, it seems to be on the tail of many IN MPAs.

Indian Navy sets new base in Lakshadweep islands
Kochi: India on Monday commissioned its first full-fledged naval base, INS Dweeprakshak, in Lakshadweep, for further strengthening its presence in the Arabian sea and extending its reach in the strategically important Indian Ocean Region.

Besides ensuring coastal security to the 36 islands in Lakshdweep archipelago, the base at Kavaratti island will also guard the sea lanes used by merchant ships and intelligence gathering, Southern Naval Commander Vice Admiral KN Sushil said while inaugurating the base.

"Lakshadweep islands form the maritime frontiers of our country on the western side. Commissioning of a full-fledged Naval Base is another milestone in the commitment of Indian Navy to maintain effective coastal surveillance and defence capability," Vice Admiral Sushil said.
indiannavy211108313news.jpg

Exhorting the crew of INS Dweeprakshak to do their utmost in discharge of their responsibilities, Admiral Sushil said the radar stations and other surveillance measures have also been put in place for monitoring the shipping traffic and intelligence gathering.

Navy has been operating a detachment at Kavaratti since early eighties, but the commissioning of a full-fledged base would ensure calibrated strengthening of assets and would enable the warships deployed on anti-piracy patrol to cover an extended area.

A firmer footing in the islands, which are spread out astride some of the busiest shipping lanes of the world, would provide the necessary wherewithal to the Indian Navy to discharge its responsibilities.

The base will be commanded by Captain SM Hanchinal, who will also function as Naval Officer-in-Charge Lakshadweep and Minicoy.

Also known as the tiniest Union Territory of India, Lakshadweep archipelago consists of 36 islands, 12 atolls, three reefs and five submerged banks.

nice pictures guys!tomorrow i will be posting the picture of P-8I yesterday i was going to seattle and i saw it parked near the road!even my cousin was surprised.i think they were installing the radar because they covered the dome

Any updates?

guys i have some insider info which speaks volumes about our R&D mechanisms...

The source worked on Arihant and confided to me that the team at BARC designed and produced a miniaturized reactor for the submarine. However it was while at the actual fitting of the prototype they realized that the dimensions were wrong and it wouldn't fit!

this led to a delay of approximately 2 years to the project wth!

sad if true.

Back
Top Bottom