What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

wsnq.png

xe9t.png

Defence Minister, A.K. Antony, will induct the long-delayed aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, designed to boost India’s maritime capabilities, at a shipyard in Russia on Saturday.

Antony will leave for Russia tomorrow with a high-level delegation, including Defence Secretary, R.K. Mathur, on a four-day visit during which, apart from commissioning the aircraft carrier, he will also co-chair the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-MTC) with his Russian counterpart, Sergey Shoigu.

Contracted for in 2004, during the NDA regime, the vessel has been delayed by over five years and has seen several time and cost-overruns in the last nine years.

The commissioning ceremony will take place at Sevmash Shipyard, Severodvinsk, on Saturday and the IRIGC-MTC meeting will take place in Moscow on Monday,” a Defence Ministry release said.

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin will be attending the commissioning along with Defence Minister Shoigu.

For the IRIGC—MTC, Antony’s delegation includes Secretary (Defence Production) GC Pati, DG (Acquisition) SB Agnihotri, and senior officers of the armed forces.

At the meet, the two sides will discuss a broad spectrum of issues related to ongoing and proposed defence projects and defence cooperation between the two countries.

The two sides will also exchange views on bilateral concerns related to regional and global issues, the release said.

Wait over: INS Vikramaditya set to join Indian Navy on Nov 16 | idrw.org

Boeing Delivers 2nd P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft to India

au15.png

SEATTLE, Nov. 15, 2013 – Boeing [NYSE: BA] delivered the second P-8I aircraft to India today, doubling that country’s long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare capabilities. Boeing is building eight P-8I aircraft for India and delivered the first in-country in May. Based on the company’s Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, the P-8I is the Indian Navy variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing has developed for the U.S. Navy.

"With two aircraft at Naval Station Rajali now, the Indian Navy will get a good feel for the P-8I's interoperability with other aircraft," said Leland Wight, Boeing P-8I program manager. "Acceptance trials on the first aircraft are progressing well and its availability for testing has been excellent, in large part due to Boeing’s worldwide 737 support capabilities."

While the aircraft delivered today will begin flight trials in the coming months, the first P-8I recently completed testing its weapons capabilities, including successfully firing a Boeing Harpoon missile at a target and dropping a torpedo.

In order to efficiently design and build the P-8I and the P-8A, the Boeing-led team is using a first-in-industry, in-line production process that draws on the company’s Next-Generation 737 production system.

The P-8I features open system architecture, advanced sensor and display technologies, and a worldwide base of suppliers, parts and support equipment. P-8I aircraft are built by a Boeing-led industry team that includes CFM International, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Spirit AeroSystems, BAE Systems and GE Aviation.

Boeing offers India a broad spectrum of defense, space and security solutions that are relevant to India's current and future military and humanitarian needs. Boeing India’s corporate office is in New Delhi. For more information, visit Boeing India - Home

A unit of The Boeing Company, Boeing Defense, Space & Security is one of the world's largest defense, space and security businesses specializing in innovative and capabilities-driven customer solutions, and the world's largest and most versatile manufacturer of military aircraft. Headquartered in St. Louis, Boeing
Defense, Space & Security is a $33 billion business with 58,000 employees worldwide. Follow us on Twitter: @BoeingDefense.

Boeing Delivers 2nd P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft to India

Boeings new MPA concept (P8 light), based on P8 techs and on a Bombardier Challenger 605 platform:

bombardierchallenger-605.jpg

...Boeing Defense, Space & Security used the show to announce a tie-up with Bombardier and aircraft modifier Field Aviation to offer an aircraft based on the mission system used in the P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol platform system it developed with the US Navy.
A Challenger jet — which Boeing says would be a third of the cost of a P-8 [so roughly around $86 millions per unit] — is being modified with mission systems by Field and is scheduled to make its first flight next year ahead of trials and demonstration flights for potential customers.

The modified aircraft features a Selex ES Seaspray radar, a FLIR Systems electro-optical/infrared imaging system and electronic support measures...

Boeing Unveils New Maritime Surveillance Aircraft | Defense News | defensenews.com

Are all the P-8Is going to be based on the same base? or are they going to be divided to cover the western and eastern side of the country.

Are all the P-8Is going to be based on the same base? or are they going to be divided to cover the western and eastern side of the country.

They would certainly be divided between Arakkonam (ARK) and Dabolim (DAB) I think.

Currently we have 8 Tu-142s at ARK and 5 IL-38SDs at DAB. ARK is of the Eastern
sea board (Tamil Nadu) and DAB is in Goa (Western seaboard).

I believe the 12 P-8Is will be divided similarly.

They would certainly be divided between Arakkonam (ARK) and Dabolim (DAB) I think.

Currently we have 8 Tu-142s at ARK and 5 IL-38SDs at DAB. ARK is of the Eastern
sea board (Tamil Nadu) and DAB is in Goa (Western seaboard).

I believe the 12 P-8Is will be divided similarly.

The MOB for the P-8Is is slated to be Arkonam That is where the Admin Control and Base MRO will be situated. That is what is the plan now. As the numbers increase; the "worked-up" aircraft will get detached to FOBs. Not just Dabolim or INS Dega in Vizag; but Port Blair, INS Parundu in TN, Porbandar, Karwar as the airfields and their associated infrastructure are set up. The IN has also requested a Naval Air Enclave at the Kochi Intl. Airport to operate the Poseidons from, similarly Dum Dum is likely to see one. Operational Control will get transferred to the appropriate Commands accordingly.

Dabolim has saturated. Karwar will come up as another IN airfield on the West Coast.

The MOB for the P-8Is is slated to be Arkonam That is where the Admin Control and Base MRO will be situated. That is what is the plan now. As the numbers increase; the "worked-up" aircraft will get detached to FOBs. Not just Dabolim or INS Dega in Vizag; but Port Blair, INS Parundu in TN, Porbandar, Karwar as the airfields and their associated infrastructure are set up. The IN has also requested a Naval Air Enclave at the Kochi Intl. Airport to operate the Poseidons from, similarly Dum Dum is likely to see one. Operational Control will get transferred to the appropriate Commands accordingly.

Dabolim has saturated. Karwar will come up as another IN airfield on the West Coast.

What will happen to the IL-38s?

Thanks for the pictures!

"20" was the first P-8I, "21" was the second one that was delivered only recently
and "22" is the latest one that just came in!

SCORPENE+SSK+SUBMARINE.jpg

PARIS, NOV 28: French shipyard DCNS, creators of the Scorpène-class submarine, have offered the Indian Navy two Scorpène submarines off the shelf as a quick stop-gap to stem dwindling force levels, compounded by the recent INS Sindhurakshak tragedy. The company, cleared by the French government to make the offer, has said it can build two Scorpenes and deliver them to coincide with the induction of the first of six Scorpènes being license built at Mazagon Docks in Mumbai.

I had a chance to speak with executives at DCNS who confirmed that the Scorpène build programme was 'on track' after major hiccups for most of the last few years. A review meeting scheduled for next week will take stock of progress, a monthly affair that involves persons from the French DGA, DCNS and French industry.

DCNS, currently committed through an MoU with DRDO to help facilitate the integration of the latter's in-development air independent propulsion system has expressed anxiety about the absence of an official 'Plan B' in case the DRDO project doesn't deliver a workable AIP module for the final two submarines in the license build. DCNS, which has for long tried to convince the Indian Navy to commit to the French MESMA (Module d’Energie Sous-Marine Autonome) AIP system, it now plans to formally suggest to the Indian Navy that they 'formalise' this Plan-B on paper. The MESMA being proposed, sources at DCNS tell me, will be a second generation system where the steam generator involved will be replaced with fuel cell technology.

Officials at DCNS have also suggested that the DRDO system, being developed by the Naval Materials Research Laboratory in Mumbai, is unlikely to meet timelines given that it will need to be ready (developed fully and then tested in dock, at sea and at depth after integration with the submarine) before 2015 -- a "difficult proposition", according to one official. DRDO officials contest this, and insist that the programme is on track and will meet timelines. DCNS plans to recommend to the Indian Navy that the Plan-B be invoked if the DRDO doesn't meet a specified timeline (beyond which, delays would impact the submarine build itself) on the indigenous AIP. It also plans to suggest that the DRDO AIP then be retrofitted on the first four submarines, if the Indian Navy wants that.

Livefist: France Offers 2 Quick Scorpenes, DCNS 'Worried' About DRDO's AIP

Back
Top Bottom