What's new

Indian Railway Photography & Stories

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
I'm starting a thread to post pictures i've taken over past many years during innumerable railway journeys. Many pictures have a story associated with them, which i'll narrate with it. Hope you enjoy them, as much as i've enjoyed taking them.
@gslv mk3 @kurup @Abingdonboy @aks18 @levina @cloud_9 @TimeToScoot @jarves @Robinhood Pandey @kaykay @JD_In @he-man @DRAY @sudhir007 @naveen @indiatester @danger007 @HariPrasad @XiNiX @arp2041 @Bang Galore @Koovie @GURU DUTT @KRAIT @thesolar65

1. A Dual Voltage locomotive (WCAM 3 Class) at Igatpuri Maharashtra
2137.JPG

2. A WAP 1 Class locomotive at Bhusawal Jn.
22025.JPG

3. A WAP 4 class loco with Gorakhpur bound Awadh express
22704.JPG

4. A BHEL make Freight loco begins it climb of Ghat (mountain) section at Budni jn. (MP)
24073_BDG.JPG

5. The most power Freight loco (WAG 9 class) with container rake.
AQ-31245.JPG

6. Onboard Mumbai bound Paschim express
distant green.JPG

7. A Cute Narrow gauge Diesel loco at Miyagam Jn. (Gujarat)
DSC00465.JPG

8. Legendary Grand trunk Express moves towards Chennai Central
gt.JPG

9. A Long Wagon (BOXN HL) at Bharuch Jn. (Gujarat)
IMG_9779.JPG

10. A passenger and a Freight train meet over Tapti river bridge (North of Surat, Gujarat).
TRB_s.JPG

I'm starting a thread to post pictures i've taken over past many years during innumerable railway journeys. Many pictures have a story associated with them, which i'll narrate with it. Hope you enjoy them, as much as i've enjoyed taking them.
@gslv mk3 @kurup @Abingdonboy @aks18 @levina @cloud_9 @TimeToScoot @jarves @Robinhood Pandey @kaykay @JD_In @he-man @DRAY @sudhir007 @naveen @indiatester @danger007 @HariPrasad @XiNiX @arp2041 @Bang Galore @Koovie @GURU DUTT @KRAIT @thesolar65

1. A Dual Voltage locomotive (WCAM 3 Class) at Igatpuri Maharashtra
View attachment 47519
2. A WAP 1 Class locomotive at Bhusawal Jn.
View attachment 47520
3. A WAP 4 class loco with Gorakhpur bound Awadh express
View attachment 47521
4. A BHEL make Freight loco begins it climb of Ghat (mountain) section at Budni jn. (MP)
View attachment 47522
5. The most power Freight loco (WAG 9 class) with container rake.
View attachment 47523
6. Onboard Mumbai bound Paschim express
View attachment 47524
7. A Cute Narrow gauge Diesel loco at Miyagam Jn. (Gujarat)
View attachment 47525
8. Legendary Grand trunk Express moves towards Chennai Central
View attachment 47526
9. A Long Wagon (BOXN HL) at Bharuch Jn. (Gujarat)
View attachment 47527
10. A passenger and a Freight train meet over Tapti river bridge (North of Surat, Gujarat).
View attachment 47528
Great!!!
Were those pics clicked by you??
The 6th,9th and 10th pic was awesome.
I have just one pic which was clicked inside Rajdhani 1st AC. :-)

View attachment 47530
The story behind the pic is that I was not interested in traveling by ATR flight (its so damn scary in that small flight) so I begged to book my tickets for train.
I was very impressed by the service provided by Radhani guys and they do have a good reputation.
I have travelled a lot in train when I was in college,it used to be mostly in mangla and jhelum express. I have lots of good memories associated with those trips and trains. :-)

image.jpg

Flexi deck Auto-Wagon - An initiative by Maruti Suzuki and Indian Railways

Jaipur: Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) in a joint effort with Indian Railways has flagged off India's first Flexi Deck Auto-Wagon rake, which sets a new benchmark in transportation of new cars through railways. It is estimated that a reduction of 1/3rd NOX (Oxides of Nitrogen, an atmospheric pollutant) can be achieved by using advanced system of Flexi Deck Auto-Wagon rake.

featured-advisory-stories0.jpg

In United States, a total of 70% cars are transported from the tracks, while in our country the figure is only 5%, resulting in the longer waiting periods for the customers. The 'Flexi deck auto-wagon rake' provides advantages of higher capacity, flexibility, faster speed and environment friendliness through rail transportation of car. The 1st Flexi deck auto-wagon rake consisting of 27 wagons chugged off to Nidavanda, Bangalore from Gurgaon carrying a mixed load of Maruti Suzuki cars including Swift, Dzire, Alto, Wagon R and Omni. Maruti Suzuki accounts for the 40% of the cars running on Indian roads and thus the automaker tries hard to dispatch the vehicles as soon as they are rolled out from the production facility.

featured-advisory-stories1.jpg

Moreover, in the year 2008 the company got associated with Indian Railways for development of double deck auto-wagons with container train operators for carrying cars through the container trains. Indian railway has two trains to carry 45 double decker wagons especially for the Maruti Suzuki cars. Looking at the numbers, the company has dispatched a total of 70,000 units in double decker railway rakes on Gurgaon to Kochi, Gurgaon to Bangalore and Gurgaon to Mundra routes. With this tie up, the transportation becomes more efficient and environment friendly.

features0.jpg

Looking back, India's largest car manufacturer, Maruti Suzuki has been using the effective rail mode for transporting cars for over two decades, a key reason behind the minimum waiting period in the company's model lineup. The company has more than 1440 nationwide service network across 840 cities. One can track company's showroom/dealer from the farthest point in north Leh, Ladakh to the extreme south point in Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu and the fast delivery to its customers is the courtesy of company's transportation facility that uses the reliable railway.

features1.jpg

On the occasion of the flag off, Mr. Kenichi Ayukawa, Managing Director and CEO, Maruti Suzuki said, “We are delighted to have initiated this contemporary mode of transport to the Indian automobile industry. Indian Railways deserves all the credit for their foresight and tremendous enthusiasm and co-operation to make this initiative move from a concept to reality within a short span of around 36 months.”

To streamline the railways transportation, Maruti Suzuki will develop infrastructure at the off-loading destinations. Initially, Maruti Suzuki has developed a railway station at Nidavanda, near Bangalore. The Nidavanda station has a capacity to handle nearly 300 vehicles presently. As Maruti Suzuki has big volumes for South India destinations, Bangalore will be used as a feeder point for dealer network. With the ‘Flexi deck auto-wagon rake’ in place the Indian Railways and Maruti Suzuki will jointly relieve the road infrastructure of the excessive load and bring modern, high capacity vehicle transportation to the country’s logistics map.

Mr. M.M. Singh, Chief Operating Officer (Production), Maruti Suzuki said, “The induction of ‘flexi deckauto-wagon rake’ will start a new chapter in automotive logistics in the country. Trains are one of the fastest, safest and eco-friendly modes of transportation. With these newly designed rakes we have been able to increase the load carrying capacity along with a high flexibility to cater to a variety of vehicle dimensions. We are happy that Indian Railways supported the initiative of Maruti Suzuki to enhance the country’s transportation infrastructure.”

By using advanced features such as height adjustable to the middle-deck allows the wagon to carry 318 Alto equivalent compact cars as against 265 cars earlier with double decker using a total of 45 wagons. The automaker has also made a storage capacity of nearly 300 units near Bangalore railway station.

The company working closely with Research Design and Standards Organization, RDSO developed a new design Auto-wagon (BCACBM). The 3 prototypes were made by Titagarh Wagon Ltd. The maximum speed of these auto rakes, as notified by RDSO, is 95 kms/hr in loaded condition and 100 kms/hr when empty, highest for a goods carrying train. In one run the train can carry 27 wagon and thereby making a total length of 636 meters.

WDG4 locomotive hauling a double stack container train

Gujarat.jpg

Last edited:
Were those pics clicked by you??
yes levina, all pics are my own.

I have just one pic which was clicked inside Rajdhani 1st AC.
Which Rajdhani is that (I'm guessing new Delhi Mumbai one). first AC is indeed a great service with good food and a lot of pampering.
gslv mk3 : may be we can expand the tread with some technical info about locos and wagons on IR in coming days. Your views :-)

Gud one what about bad crappy passenger train
I have seen rusty steps on nilamboor ernamkullam passenger in Kerala

Thanks @anant_s for the nice thread.Trains are the best mode of transport for me because of the comfortable leg space it offers!
Considering that I travel more in Karnataka, the journeys are very scenic as well.
Do share your stories with the photos.

@anant_s You sure have traveled a lot. I have also in trains, but did not get into mind to click train's photos. BTW do you have some inside photos also?

Gud one what about bad crappy passenger train
I have seen rusty steps on nilamboor ernamkullam passenger in Kerala
Kerala unfortunately has been a neglected state as far as railways are concerned. Hope Rly minister pays some attention to the service and trains going to the state.

Do share your stories with the photos.
Surely mate! i have a cache of images and will share them all here.

@anant_s You sure have traveled a lot. I have also in trains, but did not get into mind to click train's photos. BTW do you have some inside photos also?
Not much :(.

Nice thread ,, my most of journeys are by road to northern side of pakistan as those are very tough terrains we dont have any railway there yet i have traveled in railway when i was kid we use to visit karachi to our Grand father side :)

1. Night Shot of Dual voltage loco at Igatpuri Maharashtra.
Mumbai area of Central Railways still has some area operating under 1.5 kV DC traction for electric locos. Rest of the country is covered by 25 kV AC. In order to operate under such conditions, IR has a fleet of Dual Voltage locos, that move the train up and down the Thull Ghats. These locos (like the one below) get detached at a station called Igatpuri after which a pure AC loco takes care of train. this station is a great location for train watching.
21963-VDB_filtered2.jpg

2. Andaman Express at Bina Jn.
This train in unique in the sense that it has about 6 parcel vans, something no other express train in India boast off.

22646-andaman Express.JPG

3. Night shot of Bankers at Igatpuri
The steep Kasara or Thull ghats require additional assistance during climb. These locos called bankers provide that additional effort.

23570-igp.JPG

4. Diesel trio
Three Diesel locos go for a morning walk under golden sunshine at Itarsi junction (MP). These locos are of WDM 3A class (rated at 3,100 HP) and belong to ALCO family of locos.

DET1.JPG

5. Rush Hour

Watch closely and you can see 3 locos and a Train all waiting for their turn to get into mainline at Itarsi. Itarsi jn. is one of the busiest junctions on IR and it is here that line towards nagpur and Chennai seperate from Line towards Mumbai. truly a railfan's heaven.

RH.JPG

yes levina, all pics are my own.

Which Rajdhani is that (I'm guessing new Delhi Mumbai one). first AC is indeed a great service with good food and a lot of pampering.
Hmmm this Rajdhani is the one which goes from Cochin to Delhi. :)

Back
Top Bottom