What's new

Indian students in Australia suffer from Racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

s90

Reaction score

President of the Federation of Indian Students in Australia, Amit Menghani holds out a mobile phone with fellow members, as authorities in Australia prepare to launch a telephone helpline for Indian students who have been the target of a wave of violent attacks in the southern city of Melbourne.

NEW DELHI: India said on Saturday it was ‘closely monitoring’ the situation of its students in Australia after a wave of attacks on them that has raised diplomatic tensions between the two countries, AFP reported.

External affairs spokesman Vishnu Prakash said India had received Australia’s assurances that ‘they will be doing what is necessary to ensure that such attacks don’t reoccur.’

His statement came amid Indian newspaper headlines Saturday voicing anger over the attacks. ‘Outrage over curry bashing,’ said leading newspaper The Times of India.

The Hindustan Times showed a photograph of bandaged Indian student Sravan Kumar Theerthala lying comatose in his Melbourne hospital bed.

Theerthala was left in a coma and fighting for his life after being stabbed last weekend with a screwdriver by gatecrashers at a party. A 17-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder.

‘We are very closely monitoring the situation. We are quite concerned at the brutal attacks that are taking place,’ Prakash added.

He was speaking after Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd phoned his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh on Friday to pledge that ‘the overwhelming majority of Indian students were safe’ in his country, according to a statement from the prime minister’s office.

Rudd ‘took the issue of the security of all foreign students in Australia very seriously,’ the statement said.

Indians form the second-largest group of overseas students in Australia and there has been a spate of attacks on students from the subcontinent.

India’s media has dubbed Australia a ‘racist’ country and newly appointed External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said Friday he was ‘appalled’ by the violence.

"Indian go back to India" so now racist attacks will increase because of global economic crisis.

The news on different sites dont tell if there were similar attacks on students of other nationalities.

Last edited:
Well, s h i t happens. Let's get over it. Let's worry about war and hunger.

Indians also suffer from racism in Britain.

Attack has caused an upheavel in India. Indian students consitute 60% of total international students in Australia. And all international have been complaining of the widespread racism that exists in Australia. So much so that even Australian ambassodor admitted that. If Aussies dont correct themselves. They an expect their 3.5 billion dollars to attract foreign students go down the drain. Because Racism is one evil, that has everybody united against.

Amitabh refuses Australian honour following anti Indian attacks

Mumbai, May 30, 2009: Amitabh refuses Australian honour following anti Indian attacks. Indian film industry’s most famous name Amitabh Bachchan has turned down a doctorate proposal from an Australian University. The matinee idol turned down the offer from an Australian university following attacks on Indian students studying in Australia.

There have been spate of attacks directed against Indian students in Australia. A student who was attacked earlier this week is battling for his life in an Australian hospital. Several others too have sustained serious injuries in attacks.

India has angrily reacted to numerous attacks against Indian students. Indian Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh too has reacted angrily to the numerous attacks. He has also asked for severe punishment for people who are behind attacks.

Hey i know i am of Indian origin but it is sad what happens here. The news doesn’t tell the whole story. There are a lot of “students” here that are here to work more than to study. When you go out most of the time they are drunk and whistling at many girls outside the clubs on the streets etc. I was with my girlfriend at Chapel Street on Friday night and there was a bunch that were trying to hit on her and yelling stuff to me. The thing about it is that they hang out in groups of 6 to 10 so girls don’t feel safe out alone anymore which was not the case 4-5 years ago. That night it was me my girlfriend and two of her friends. I could have gotten in a fight but was outnumbered and not drunk enough. What saddens me the most is that they are mostly Punjabis from the pind that give the rest of us a bad name too! I have had a few people complain to me about it as if i can do anything about it but it is becoming embarrassing that you are out with your friends and things like this happen and you kind of feal like its your fault and somehow you are a part of it.

^^ Ladies and gentleman the real truth behind the half truth.

^^^

The real issue still remains - safety of students. Does not matter who's at fault. what is the police doing, thats the issue.

I have heard that when Indian/Pakistanis shift in a housing area in Australia, the property prices actually go down , because the demand of the area falls down.

And its true cause i heard it from a reliable source.

Hey i know i am of Indian origin but it is sad what happens here. The news doesn’t tell the whole story. There are a lot of “students” here that are here to work more than to study. When you go out most of the time they are drunk and whistling at many girls outside the clubs on the streets etc. I was with my girlfriend at Chapel Street on Friday night and there was a bunch that were trying to hit on her and yelling stuff to me. The thing about it is that they hang out in groups of 6 to 10 so girls don’t feel safe out alone anymore which was not the case 4-5 years ago. That night it was me my girlfriend and two of her friends. I could have gotten in a fight but was outnumbered and not drunk enough. What saddens me the most is that they are mostly Punjabis from the pind that give the rest of us a bad name too! I have had a few people complain to me about it as if i can do anything about it but it is becoming embarrassing that you are out with your friends and things like this happen and you kind of feal like its your fault and somehow you are a part of it.

Thats a completely stupid reason. There are nearly 4 lac Indian students in Australia. All trying to hit out on girls? So you had an experience, which happenes with people belonging to same communities as well.

Right. So what we see here, is an issue of racism being turned into India bashing. If only you would have seen the video footage of an Indian student being assaulted on a bus in Australia. I have several friends studying in Australia, and they area all worried. There have been 4 attacks within 25 days in different locations. Every Indian trying to pass lewd comments?? Dude you have some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom