What's new

Indigenous artillery guns meet parameters; Army orders 100

Abingdonboy

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Trials of indigenously produced new artillery guns, meant to replace the Army's inventory of 155 mm Howitzers supplied by AB Bofors around 25 years ago, have been promising. In its assessment of the trials carried out this summer in Rajasthan, the Army has said the guns have met the "stipulated parameters'.

Produced by the Ordnance Factory Board, these guns are 155 mm, 45 calibre howitzers. These look like Bofors and have the capacity to fire up to a distance of 32 km. These guns were tested near Pokhran in Rajasthan during May this year.

Around 100 such guns have been ordered by the Army and are based more or less on the existing Bofors design for which the OFB holds the Transfer of Technology (ToT) licence from the Bofors. Research for the manufacture of a number of variants of the howitzer is underway and is nearing completion.

The Army has expressed keenness to have 155 mm 52 calibre guns which the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will produce. The original AB Bofors-inducted in 1987-is 39 calibre. The "calibre" of a gun is primarily the length of its barrel that helps the ammunition in travelling farther. A 52 calibre gun will fire around 4-5 km more than other variants.

The recently ordered 100 guns of 45 calibre, coupled with 145 ultra-light howitzers (ULH) and the upcoming 52 calibre gun being produced by the DRDO are expected to end the shortage of artillery guns in the Indian Inventory. As part of its artillery modernisation plan, the Army plans to purchase a total of 400 howitzers that can be towed away, along with 180 self-propelled ones and 145 ULH.

Apart from the order placed to the OFB, the Ministry of Defence has okayed the purchase of 145 ULH under a $700-million deal through the foreign military sales (FMS) route between the US and India. Named the M777, these guns weigh just 3,200 kg each and can be slung under a helicopter to be dropped in mountain areas that are inaccessible by road. These guns will be stationed in Ladakh and Arunachal Pradesh - both facing China.

FIRE POWER

Produced by the Ordnance Factory Board, new artillery guns are 155 mm, 45 calibre howitzers
Can fire up to a distance of 32 km
These will replace Army's inventory of 155 mm Howitzers supplied by AB Bofors around 25 yrs ago

Bofors_towed_155mm_howitzer.jpg

155mm+FH77B05-768402.jpg

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Nation

This is a great news....I am not sure when did I hear something this good for IA. Finally the Bofors ghost is gone....I sincerely congratulation to all scientist who worked on it. Key would be to not stop her and keep improving this gun to the best in the world.....

This makes me proud as an Indian
India.gif

:sniper:

good news.
finally IA acknowledging the benifits of Indigenous product.
but i will advocate orders to privateplayers. this will strenthen the production & tech. base in India.

Indian came up with this invention and hence Indigenous

SOORY you get it completely wrong.
Indigenous means built in India with all the material required in the country itself.

good news coming in the morning, but why only 100?

Actually , this order is for 114 Guns to replace 114 Bofors 155mm 39 calibre guns which are non operational

Their is also option to induct 200 more of these Guns once initial batch of 114 is delivered

The reason for only 114+200 Order is coz army is more interested in 155mm , 52 Calibre Guns which can hit targets as far as 40 km compared to 30-32 Km of present Howitzers in service

Actually , this order is for 114 Guns to replace 114 Bofors 155mm 39 calibre guns which are non operational

Their is also option to induct 200 more of these Guns once initial batch of 114 is delivered

The reason for only 114+200 Order is coz army is more interested in 155mm , 52 Calibre Guns which can hit targets as far as 40 km compared to 30-32 Km of present Howitzers in service
A humble Request~
Plz provide any credible link for this bit of info.

I think this news is of upgrade rather than new purchase.
All exesting Bofors of 39 Cal are converted to 45 cal. And all existing 45 cal are to be converted to 52 cal. And OFB was building NEW 52 cal. Correct me if I am wrong.
If it would have been new 52 cal then the range has to be minimum 36/38 Km and NOT 32 km. may be wrong reporting

upgrade or new , important thing is finally we are modernizing the artillery .

Last time i heard... Indian Army was planning to induct M777 howitzer also.
Is it true?

Back
Top Bottom