What's new

Intel says one of its 13th Gen CPUs will hit 6GHz out of the box

Nope!

I'm still sticking with my opinion.

Price goes down! price goes down!

You will thanks me later.

Actually I think the future of chips will see prices go up as companies and consumers move their desktops to the cloud. It's already accelerating with companies switching to virtual desktops to handle the rise of telecommuters due to Covid.

For instance maybe intel can build a chip 10000 faster than the ones they have now but the cooling requirements make it impractical to sell in volume to consumers. However if Amazon had cloud requirements with million of units which are housed in a climate controlled datacenter then Intel would likely throw some money at it. Already quantum computers are offered on the cloud...something unlikely seen in desktops anytime soon.

How much hyperthreading do you actually need for gaming? Are gamers really going to be multi-tasking while gaming? At most, they will be running a streaming software, discord and possibly some kind of soundboard simultaneously... :lol:

That's what they sell.

I am just a noob in this field, but seeing all these Youtubers and tech guys brag about how a chip can run your streamdeck, game, steam, peripherals, etc etc without the fan running at even 30% makes gamers drool! :P

They might not need it, but they want it. That's my impression.

That's what they sell.

I am just a noob in this field, but seeing all these Youtubers and tech guys brag about how a chip can run your streamdeck, game, steam, peripherals, etc etc without the fan running at even 30% makes gamers drool! :P

They might not need it, but they want it. That's my impression.

It’s like buying a Ferrari to go to your local grocery store. I’m all for the enthusiasts buying these chips, but I doubt it’s just for gaming.

Virtualization is the future of computing. And even gaming is slowly falling under that umbrella.

Thanks for the share, but this is different from "normal use" of a machine. This is for benchmarking sessions.

To be honest, a gaming laptop will produce more heat than a desktop machine of similar specs due to limited room for air flow in its chassis. My laptop's CPU can easily exceed 90C in a gaming session. I use HP Omen software application to prevent this spike. I also use a cooling pad to facilitate air flow in my laptop even though it has exhausts on the sides.

Summer(s) can be very hot where I live so I use AC to cool my room for an hour or two. All good in Winter(s) on the other hand.

OP's complaint is genuine but it also comes down to the construction of a machine.
Yeah I'm aware of that fact, and I was agreeing with you about the limited need for water cooling. I'm a gamer and a tinkerer though, water cooling is part of the enjoyment I get building, customizing and overclocking my rig. It's much harder to get a stable build overclocking with air cooling but not impossible. I also like to mod my games and push my rig to the limit, better thermal management equals better performance equals better frame rates and stability. But it probably isn't worth the extra time and effort for most people to OC and watercool their rigs, I can only speak for myself in regards to it being worth it.

Last edited:
Virtualization is more important for organizations and companies for their internal IT departments because it reduces hardware costs.

How much hyperthreading do you actually need for gaming? Are gamers really going to be multi-tasking while gaming? At most, they will be running a streaming software, discord and possibly some kind of soundboard simultaneously... :lol:

I'm a programmer, at least I know how to write codes.

Multithreading is powerful, but that depends on the need.

If you want to run multiple calculations at the same time, definitely multithreading, multi-core is a must.

In gaming, it means you can run many calculations at the same time.

Perhaps 10 calculations for the enemy's AI, 5 calculations for the party member's AI, 50 calculations for world physics, etc. All are running at the same time together without queuing.

The faster the CPU, you can write even more complex codes, making the enemy smarter, better pathfinding, etc.

I'm a programmer, at least I know how to write codes.

Multithreading is powerful, but that depends on the need.

If you want to run multiple calculations at the same time, definitely multithreading, multi-core is a must.

In gaming, it means you can run many calculations at the same time.

Perhaps 10 calculations for the enemy's AI, 5 calculations for the party member's AI, 50 calculations for world physics, etc. All are running at the same time together without queuing.

The faster the CPU, you can write even more complex codes, making the enemy smarter, better pathfinding, etc.

What games have been designed on the scale that they would require a 6 GHz cpu?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom