What's new

International Math Olympiad 2014 results are in! (India fails again)

At 1.2 billion people; its statistically improbable to generalize the performance of 1-5 people onto such a LARGE population.
Anyone who would argue otherwise is just...a clod. No offense.

You do realize he is playing around right :D

Wrong! :angry: A nation of 1.2 billion and we can't find 5 who are good at math? Or 11 who are good at football? Of course we are a useless race and nationality! :agree:

Don't worry, India is still developing.

Wait until 2030, and India will be shining.

In 5 years, people will forget about Shanghai, and it will be all about Mumbai.

China's growth will hit 0 (an Indian invention) soon due to 1 child policy, where as India's youthful population will allow her to grow 20% per year.

If you are an international chinese graduate student, I wouldn't be surprised if you can do it. My chinese classmates seems to be much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to undergraduate fundamentals. They are the type that would come to campus at 8am, do research and study until 8pm, and repeat the next day, 7 days a week.

After winter/summer break, they will have plenty of results to show my adviser, really makes me look bad.

I did my undergrad in Canada at Waterloo University. I think it is mostly a work ethic thing. Wave equations in EM are not that hard to understand, but they are convoluted and takes a lot of practice to be familiar with. I remember when I was doing the course, I was doing extra practice questions after each class and it helps quite a lot. It comes back to my earlier post on people complaining on the heavy course load. In my opinion, heavy work load by no means restriction your thinking process. In fact, it is just the opposite. Heavy work load allows you to understand the material inside out and helps tremendously in later research work.

Last edited:
To be honest, my friend, i wouldn't know about that. Im in close partnership with an Indian national for my dissertation. Well, we conducted a juxtaposition of data. He's quite the wiz, i'd say. I'm not so strong on multivariate stats as he is, but my strengths in IBM SPSS /SAS is okay so we have a trade-off. My experiences with Indians, and Pakistanis at my university is very strong.

Nothing bad to say.

Your South Asian friends have completely given up their culture then! They're no longer Indian in my eyes. :mad:

At 1.2 billion people; its statistically improbable to generalize the performance of 1-5 people onto such a LARGE population.
Anyone who would argue otherwise is just...a clod. No offense.

It's not just this year though. India's performance at the IMO has been consistently mediocre. It makes you wonder.

Exactly. For admission to prestigious American universities, an IMO medal is even more valued than perfect SAT scores.

For entry to top Indian Engeneering colleges you need to crack JEE. Can these IMO kids try to compete in JEE?

For entry to top Indian Engeneering colleges you need to crack JEE. Can these IMO kids try to compete in JEE?
I do not see why any capable foreign students would go to India instead of US or Europe for top Engineering universities?

@Nihonjin1051 @Indischer Let's get back to the point. It hasn't been famous somehow in India and especially among parents awareness on this is zero. Once the parents gets awareness on IMO, trust me India will be with in Top 3 positions.

Take it Spelling Bee, from 2000 onwards Top 3 from Top 5 goes to Indians.

It's not just this year though. India's performance at the IMO has been consistently mediocre. It makes you wonder.

A simple matter of priorities, mate. At the risk of repeating the 'excuses' that my fellow Indians have given you, I'll elaborate in simplistic terms (coz that's the only way my simplistic mind can process stuff):

1. Would you say that, since Germany will win the Football WC, all Germans are excellent football players?

2. Would you say that since India are Cricket World Champions, all Indians are excellent cricket players?

Those who've spent considerable time, money and resources in honing their skills, tend to do better at whatever they spent their effort on. A dedicated infrastructure and support staff to sustain the effort is equally paramount.

Now, would you say that since China and US have a $hitty Cricket team, they're simply incapable of ever learning and playing the game well? What would you attribute this to?(No 'excuses' please!) Does something called priorities make sense now?

I'm afraid our students get the same training, motivation and support to such Olympiads as does your Cricket team.

Back
Top Bottom