What's new

Iran to supply Russia with “hundreds” of Drones

bane-now-is-not-the-time-for-fear-1.gif

Again I didn’t say s 500

You replied to the following:

That also assumes there is any truth to this and not western propaganda. Earlier in the war they said we donated a Bavar-373 system when Russia has S-500 and S-400 deployed. Hilarious propaganda

With this:

the Ukrainian know those systems

So I asked you what exactly do Ukraine know about S-500 and S-400? Neither system is used by Ukraine and are more sophisticated than Bavar and, in the case of S-400, proven in battle. That's all I'm interested to know from our entire conversation at this point.

Do these drones have anti air defenses lik

With this:

So I asked you what exactly do Ukraine know about S-500 and S-400? Neither system is used by Ukraine and are more sophisticated than Bavar and, in the case of S-400, proven in battle. That's all I'm interested to know from our entire conversation at this point.

With this:

ok again I was only referencing s 300 immortal was stating s 400 and s 500 I should have been more clear sometimes I’m not always clear. But if they want tech info on s 400 I guess they could always get it from the Turks they’re selling them drones so not out of the realm possibilities. S 500 aren’t being used currently as far as I know in the conflict or anyone else they also have limited numbers of them, if they have to ship s 300 out of Syria means short on s 400 as well, so once more s 300 is the main system they have info on, s 400 would be a bigger threat if they had larger numbers but again if they have to take s 300 out Syria to bring to the Ukraine front not enough and s 500 are not not part of the war currently

Last edited:
From a large Russian Telegram Channel.

1. Today has become the day of the most massive use of Iranian UAVs in several areas at once. This was an extremely unpleasant surprise for the enemy, who had already suffered significant losses from pinpoint strikes by kamikaze UAVs before.

2. Despite a couple of downed drones, several reached the target, destroying, among other things, one of the local decision-making centers in Odessa. Objective air defense apparently completely failed in this case.

3. It is important to understand that Iranian drones are consumables. They pay for themselves even if only a part reaches the goal due to the cheapness of their production, which is embedded in the very concept of Iranian UAVs, which provides for the possibility of their assembly even in the theater of operations itself, as is happening in Yemen.

4. Accordingly, if Russia has already established mass production of these machines, especially the Geranium-2, then due to the obvious weakness of the tactical air defense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine spread over a huge front, their effectiveness will be no less than it was in Yemen, Syria and Iraq .

5. I certainly thank the Iranian comrades for their assistance. I believe that as a "goodwill gesture" (in the good sense of the word), it would be possible to declare the year of Russian-Iranian friendship in 2023-2024 or, say, to erect somewhere in Russia a monument to General Qassem Soleimani (the most popular Iranian hero, not counting Ayatollah Khomeini), who did a lot to develop the Iranian UAV program, not to mention the fact that it was largely thanks to him that Russia sent troops to Syria.

--------------------------------

Simply put, they have a clear understanding of the doctrine behind these UAVs. Especially with the third & fourth point. No matter what, short of malfunctions these drones pay for themselves, either you hit something at low cost, or they use up their stockpile of expensive SAMs to down it.

From a large Russian Telegram Channel.

2. Despite a couple of downed drones, several reached the target, destroying, among other things, one of the local decision-making centers in Odessa. Objective air defense apparently completely failed in this case.
This was likely the ukranian navy`s headquarters in odessa.

This was likely the ukranian navy`s headquarters in odessa.
More suicide drone strikes reported in Odessa again. About 3 arrivals. Once again, no air siren warning, and trying to down them with small arms fire. They might need to take some AA guns there.

Problem with using them in Daytime gives chance for small arms to down them or heavy machineguns to down them when flying at low altitudes around 140km/h for example

Last edited:
Russia Expands Use of Iranian Combat Drones in Ukraine

Stephen Kalin and Evan Gershkovich
Updated Sept. 24, 2022 3:02 pm ET

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-expands-use-of-iranian-combat-drones-in-ukraine/ar-AA12bSuC?li=BBnb7Kz
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-expands-use-of-iranian-combat-drones-in-ukraine-11664009458

KYIV, Ukraine—Ukraine shot down more than a dozen Iranian combat drones across the front lines this week as Russia expands the use of a foreign weapons system that Ukrainian commanders say has inflicted serious damage on their forces.

In his nightly address on Friday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said his country’s antiaircraft forces had shot down Iranian drones in the eastern Dnipropetrovsk region and the southern city of Odessa, including the nearby Pivdennyi port, used for exporting grain.

The Ukrainian Air Force identified them as Shahed-136 unmanned kamikaze drones, or loitering munitions, and Mohajer-6 drones that can carry missiles and be used for reconnaissance. It published a video showing one of the drones it shot out of the sky in Dnipropetrovsk.

The Iranian drones are relatively small and fly at a very low altitude, making it hard for Ukrainian air-defense systems to detect them. At least one of the drones made it past Ukrainian defenses, hitting the navy’s headquarters in Odessa on Friday. Ukraine’s southern military command said one civilian was killed and an administration building in the port area was destroyed.

Footage broadcast by Ukrainian news channels showed soldiers unsuccessfully trying to shoot it down with small arms before it crashed in a ball of fire. Soldiers can be heard shouting, “Where the hell is air defense?”

Another online video showed one of the downed drones being towed in the water to shore.

The air force said it had destroyed seven more Iranian drones, including four Shahed-136s, in the southern Mykolaiv region on Thursday, and another one on Tuesday.

Shahed-136 delta-wing drones, repainted in Russian colors and rebranded as Geranium 2, started appearing this month over Ukrainian armor and artillery positions in the northeastern Kharkiv region, Col. Rodion Kulagin, commander of artillery of Ukraine’s 92nd Mechanized Brigade, told The Wall Street Journal.

In his brigade’s operational area alone, the Iranian drones—which usually fly in pairs and then slam into their targets—have destroyed two 152mm self-propelled howitzers and two 122mm self-propelled howitzers, as well as two BTR armored infantry vehicles, Col. Kulagin said.

Russia’s use of Shahed-136 drones in Ukraine represents the most challenging expansion of Tehran’s arsenal beyond the Middle East, where Iran has used its unmanned aerial vehicles to pressure the U.S. and its allies in the region. It also highlights the deficiencies in Russia’s own drone program, which hasn’t been able to match the firepower of armed UAVs deployed by Ukraine.

The immediate battlefield impact of the introduction of Iranian drones into the Ukraine war is difficult to assess, but the deployment gives Tehran an opportunity to test out its products against North Atlantic Treaty Organization defense systems, said Bernard Hudson, former counterterrorism director for the Central Intelligence Agency.

“This allows Tehran a risk-free path to improve their drone technology and tactics and to make them more capable and lethal. The lessons of Ukraine will inform how Iran will later use these systems in the Middle East,” said Mr. Hudson, whose company works in the drone sector in both Eastern Europe and the Middle East.

Late Friday, Mr. Zelensky said that Ukraine had revoked the accreditation of the Iranian ambassador and had reduced the number of diplomatic personnel at the Iranian Embassy in Kyiv in response to Iran sending the drones. He said he had tasked the foreign ministry with developing a response to Iranian support of Russia: “The world will know about every fact of collaboration with evil.”

Israel and the West have accused Iran and its proxies of flying armed drones to attack Saudi Arabia’s oil industry, the capital of the United Arab Emirates and American soldiers in Syria, as well as tankers in the Gulf of Oman in recent years. Iran-backed Houthi forces in Yemen have repeatedly used delta-wing drones to carry out attacks on neighboring Saudi Arabia.

In an interview published Saturday by French newspaper Ouest-France, Mr. Zelensky said he regretted that Israel had not provided Ukraine with antiaircraft defenses. “This shocks me because at the same time Israel exports its armaments to other countries,” he said, blaming Russian influence in Israel. Israel has previously said it opposed Russia’s invasion of Ukraine but that it will provide humanitarian rather than military aid.

Ukraine has asked Western allies, which have already supplied billions of dollars’ worth of military equipment, to provide more advanced antidrone and air-defense technologies.

In a separate incident, Ukraine’s southern military command said Saturday that an unmanned aircraft had dropped a poisonous chemical substance on Ukrainian positions, without specifying the location. It said there were no significant casualties.

In Russia, Col. Gen. Mikhail Mizintsev, who was sanctioned by the European Union in June for overseeing the bombardment of the strategic Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, was promoted to deputy defense minister for logistics on Saturday. Since the beginning of the war, Russia’s army has struggled with supplying and maintaining its troops in the field, critically hobbling Moscow’s invasion plans.

Write to Stephen Kalin at stephen.kalin@wsj.com

More suicide drone strikes reported in Odessa again. About 3 arrivals. Once again, no air siren warning, and trying to down them with small arms fire. They might need to take some AA guns there.

Problem with using them in Daytime gives chance for small arms to down them or heavy machineguns to down them when flying at low altitudes around 140km/h for example
Seems like Dahaneshon service kardan. Pretty crazy damage for a suicide drone.

1664085385658.png
1664085458984.png

So piecing together the upcoming reports. Looks like attacks occurred late in the night, up until sunrise and into the morning because of the images coming out showing smoke/explosions at dark, dusk and morning.

I feel very sad for this girl and this war.

The size of the explosion should make it clear, the explosive are RDX

Last edited:
Seems like Dahaneshon service kardan. Pretty crazy damage for a suicide drone.

View attachment 882369View attachment 882370

So piecing together the upcoming reports. Looks like attacks occurred late in the night, up until sunrise and into the morning because of the images coming out showing smoke/explosions at dark, dusk and morning.

I feel very sad for this girl and this war.

The size of the explosion should make it clear, the explosive are RDX
when I said our suicide drones won't explode with air-defense guns or shrapnel from the missiles some proponent of Ukraine manage to hit every Iranian drone propaganda didn't believe it
It starts to decompose at approximately 170 °C and melts at 204 °C. At room temperature, it is very stable. It burns rather than explodes. It detonates only with a detonator, being unaffected even by small arms fire.

when I said our suicide drones won't explode with air-defense guns or shrapnel from the missiles some proponent of Ukraine manage to hit every Iranian drone propaganda didn't believe it
I'm curious about your thoughts on it.

I believe the UAV won't just explode without the fuse being armed, a couple of bullet holes in it would also probably not affect flight, but it would cause fuel leaks, burning, and probably damage the sensors causing it to fall eventually or just miss its target.(?)

I'm curious about your thoughts on it.

I believe the UAV won't just explode without the fuse being armed, a couple of bullet holes in it would also probably not affect flight, but it would cause fuel leaks, burning, and probably damage the sensors causing it to fall eventually or just miss its target.(?)
well , do you recall one of the videos that they claim one they shot down one of the uavs , you could see a bright flash on the wing and then nothing happened and the vidseo cut 1-1.5 second after the flash .
my taught is that its important where you hit , if you hit the nose , then uav is effectively useless as the sensors are there and the uav probably loose its target capability , only you can pray when the fuel ran out it don't fall on the head of an innocent bystander.
if you hit behind it , that's were exactly the explossive are , i don't think it will explode , and i doubt it affect the UAV effectiveness unless you manage to destroy the fuse .
behind that is probably fuel that won't make an explosion with the use that russian have for the uav. in a fuel tanks you have two componnet one is fuel, the other is fuel fume and air . if the tank is filled then there is less fume and air mixture and less chance of explosion , if the fuel is half used it mean half a tank is filled with highly volatile fume and air mixture and there is ghih chance of explosion . but in russia they use the uav in short range missions , probably 150-200km, 300km max the uav has a 2000+km range . so i doubt there be explosion the tank will be literally full. but well you have a leaky tanks all depend how much fuel you are loosing and your distant with target , if its far or damage to high the uav fall out of sky , on other hand if you can reach your target then you are in bisiness .
then at the back of uav is engine , obviously if you hit it its the end for uav , it fall , hit it in city it fall on the head of someone , hit it outside city it fall in desert or jungle or....

now the question of the wings , its biggest poart of the uav , and obviously have higher chance of being hit like the video i mentioned that looked like left wing was hit ,my guess is if your callibre is not high enough to rip the wing apart , nothing will happen , the uav is supposed to be 200kg with 40kg of explossive and its fuel so the wing must be empty otherwise it was a lot heavier , the bullet go from one side and come out from otherside . so i guess one of ukrainian claimed interception actuall was such incident . they hit the UAV but not a critical part , it probably increased the drag on the uav , but it had enough fuel to go to target 3-4 time it was not important and it was not shootdown and the uav actually reacjh its target

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom