What's new

Is UAE a good place to park a business for a few months?

Paul2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, @The Eagle apologies for unbecoming behaviour for a club member yesterday. Had a bit too much in the bar, and am still shaken seeing a country in which I worked in for close to 2 years go up in flames overnight. Promising to stay business like from now on.

So, you gents know the story. I worked for a contractor working for infra projects, facilities, and custom electronics, and automation for them. I left these fellows, but they insisted on bringing me back as an independent for a cut, so I can complete the signals project at Kazakhstan rail I started. The country went upside down overnight, and now we hear from one after another Chinese contractor in the country: clients invoke force majeure clause, which means bye bye money there.

I am a partner at another engineering co, but which deals more with consumer electronics. I work for them remotely since covid started, and they drop few opportunities a year to do some CAD drawings, wire microcontrollers, and program firmwares for them, or server side code managing the infra.

Do you think it's a good decision to setup a one man company in UAE to stay here for a few months, and keep freelancing from here? How easy, and how fast is it to setup yourself in UAE with a company in free zone?

I think I am done with companies dealing with infra projects. Last 2 years delivered the final blow to an already diseased industry, and completely destroyed any appetite for risky work in 3rd world countries.

I myself feel at the lowest point in a decade. Losing my last family member last year, huge chunk of money which stayed at Kazakhstani bank, the industry I worked in for last 8 years folding. It's 100% a time for turning a page in life now for me.

Last edited:
Hi pal, my condolences. Wish you all the best going forward. :)

All the best in your new venture. Money comes and goes, at least you didn't get harmed in the chaos. A smart man like you will make it all back and much more.

@Paul2
Depends on which Free Zone... There are so many of them.

Each Emirate (City) has its own & some have more than a couple.

Dubai Jebal Ali Free Zone
Dubai Airport Free Zone
Sharjah Airport Free Zone
Ajman Free Zone
RAKez (Ras al Khaimah Economic Zone)
Fujairah Free Zone

Not sure how these Free Zones work, but to start up a Business in the UAE, I think the Trade License will cost atleast Dhs. 15,000/- to 18,000.

Then you have your own Residence Visa + Emirates ID + Medical that could cost Dhs. 1,500/-

I do not know what Umm al Quain has since they are possibly the poorest Emirate in the UAE. Fujairah, which is upcoming Emirate (& possibly the most Beautiful because of its landscape) might hold some promise.

Abu Dhabi (the Capital) & Dubai might be a lil' too expensive.

There is also an option of running a business from your home which avoids getting an Office space (Rent) & Staff (Visa costs + ad-ons).

Check out: Virtuzone

Best of Luck!

Abu Dhabi (the Capital) & Dubai might be a lil' too expensive.
So far my feeling was that AD is much cheaper than Dubai. I know that other emirates which are down south are even cheaper, but not as business welcoming, and have lazy bureaucrats when it comes to red tape for foreign business.

So far my feeling was that AD is much cheaper than Dubai. I know that other emirates which are down south are even cheaper, but not as business welcoming, and have lazy bureaucrats when it comes to red tape for foreign business.
Where did you get the notion that Abu Dhabi is CHEAP :o: ?!!
@Abu Dhabi

Good Lord, man. Forget starting a business - you probably have a difficult time paying the rent for an apartment in that City.

Feel free to check the rents in each City through: Property Finder

The link (above) will also give you an idea if you're seeking Office Space.

In relation to downtown Dubai, it definitely is. And in comparison to DT Shenzhen, it's more or less equal.
Downtown Dubai, huh.

Well, there are places where the rest of us mortals live. But, if you're already talking about Downtown Dubai - means you're what we call a high roller.

In that case, best of luck again.

Downtown Dubai, huh.

Well, there are places where the rest of us mortals live. But, if you're already talking about Downtown Dubai - means you're what we call a high roller.

In that case, best of luck again.

DT Dubai is freaking expensive for me, even when prices there seemingly dropped like 2fold with COVID.

On other hand, $1000 per month for an apartment in a highrise is normal for most global cities. I would say, it's a bit low for DT Shenzhen for size of apartments you see in UAE.

And $2000 for a landed property rent is outright cheap, way cheaper than in other equally global cities like London, or Singapore.

First of all, @The Eagle apologies for unbecoming behaviour for a club member yesterday. Had a bit too much in the bar, and am still shaken seeing a country in which I worked in for close to 2 years go up in flames overnight. Promising to stay business like from now on.

So, you gents know the story. I worked for a contractor working for infra projects, facilities, and custom electronics, and automation for them. I left these fellows, but they insisted on bringing me back as an independent for a cut, so I can complete the signals project at Kazakhstan rail I started. The country went upside down overnight, and now we hear from one after another Chinese contractor in the country: clients invoke force majeure clause, which means bye bye money there.

I am a partner at another engineering co, but which deals more with consumer electronics. I work for them remotely since covid started, and they drop few opportunities a year to do some CAD drawings, wire microcontrollers, and program firmwares for them, or server side code managing the infra.

Do you think it's a good decision to setup a one man company in UAE to stay here for a few months, and keep freelancing from here? How easy, and how fast is it to setup yourself in UAE with a company in free zone?

I think I am done with companies dealing with infra projects. Last 2 years delivered the final blow to an already diseased industry, and completely destroyed any appetite for risky work in 3rd world countries.

I myself feel at the lowest point in a decade. Losing my last family member last year, huge chunk of money which stayed at Kazakhstani bank, the industry I worked in for last 8 years folding. It's 100% a time for turning a page in life now for me.
Nigerian conman😆 on the forum and the admins are asleep on the wheel worried about Ahm……

My condolences Paul and best of luck

before COVID and especially during COVID , the process of starting up a business in the UAE in general is cheap / free for 2 years and Dubai is the place to go

It is very easy and very cheap or even free to start up

Completely agree with your decision to set up a company instead of working for someone else dream. It's your choice to keep your company as a one-man company. But the business activity and nature of your business determine how many employees you will require. The procedures for setting up a business in Mainland and Freezone are entirely different. I think should find the best business setup consultants in Dubai to make your dream a reality. Please check out: Freezone company formation

Completely agree with your decision to set up a company instead of working for someone else dream. It's your choice to keep your company as a one-man company. But the business activity and nature of your business determine how many employees you will require. The procedures for setting up a business in Mainland and Freezone are entirely different. I think should find the best business setup consultants in Dubai to make your dream a reality. Please check out: Freezone company formation

@Paul2, for your info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom