What's new

ISRAEL'S PR VICTORY SHAMES NEWS BROADCASTERS

RAZA SAHI

Reaction score
Israel's PR victory shames news broadcasters.Our latest analysis of news bulletins reveals how Israel continues to spin images of war

Greg Philo The Guardian, Tuesday 31 May 2011.

The propaganda battle over the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has reached a new level of intensity. In 2004 the Glasgow University Media Group published a major study on TV coverage of the Second Intifada and its impact on public understanding. We analysed about 200 programmes and questioned more than 800 people. Our conclusion: reporting was dominated by Israeli accounts. Since then we have been contacted by many journalists, especially from the BBC, and told of the intense pressures they are under that limit criticism of Israel. They asked us to raise the issue in public because they can't. They speak of "waiting in fear for the phone call from the Israelis" (meaning the embassy or higher), of the BBC's Jerusalem bureau having been "leant on by the Americans", of being "guilty of self-censorship" and of "urgently needing an external arbiter". Yet the public response of the BBC is to avoid reporting our latest findings. Those in control have the power to say what is not going to be the news.

For their part, the Israelis have increased their PR effort. The Arab spring has put demands for democracy and freedom at the heart of Middle East politics, and new technology has created more problems for the spin doctors. The most graphic images of war can now be brought immediately into public view, including the deaths of women and children. When Israel planned its attack on Gaza in December 2008, it developed a new National Information Directorate, and the supply of possible material was limited by stopping reporters from entering Gaza during the fighting. In 2010, when Israel attacked the Gaza aid flotilla, it issued edited footage with its own captions about what was supposed to have happened. This highly contested account was nonetheless largely swallowed by TV news programmes. A UN-sponsored report, which later refuted the account, was barely covered.

These new public relations were designed to co-ordinate specific messages across all information sources, repeated by every Israeli speaker. Each time a grim visual image appeared, the Israeli explanation would be alongside it. In the US, messages were exhaustively analysed by The Israel Project, a US-based group that, according to Shimon Peres, "has given Israel new tools in the battle to win the hearts and minds of the world". In a document of more than 100 pages (labelled "not for publication or distribution") an enormous range of possible statements about Israel was sorted into categories of "words that work" and "words that will turn listeners off". There are strictures about what should be said and how to say it: avoid religion, Israeli messages should focus on security and peace, make sure you distinguish between the Palestinian people and Hamas (even though Hamas was elected). There is a remarkable likeness between these and the content of TV news headlines. Many journalists bought the message. Hamas was being attacked, and somehow not the Palestinians: "The bombardment continues on Hamas targets" (BBC1, 31 December 2008); "The offensive against Hamas enters its second week" (BBC1, 3 January 2009).

There were terrible images of Palestinian casualties but the message from Israel was relentless. Its attack was a necessary "response" to the firing of rockets by Palestinians. It was the Palestinian action that had started the trouble. In a new project, we have analysed more than 4,000 lines of text from the main UK news bulletins of the attack, but there was no coverage in these of the killing by the Israelis of more than 1,000 Palestinians, including hundreds of children, in the three years before it. In the TV news coverage, Israeli statements on the causes of action overwhelmed those of the Palestinians by more than three to one. Palestinian statements tended to be only that they would seek revenge on Israel. The underlying reasons for the conflict were absent, such as being driven from their homes and land when Israel was created.

Journalists tended to stay on the firmest ground in reporting, such as the images of "innocent victims", and there was little said about why Palestinians were fighting Israel. We interviewed audience groups and found the gaps in their knowledge closely paralleled absences in the news. A majority believed Palestinians broke the ceasefire that existed before the December attack and did not know Israel had attacked Gaza during it, in November 2008, killing six Palestinians. Members of the public expressed sorrow for the plight of Palestinians but, because of the Israeli message so firmly carried by TV, they thought the Palestinians had somehow brought it on themselves. As one put it: "When I saw the pictures of the dead children it was dreadful, I was in tears but it didn't make me feel that the Palestinians and Hamas were right … I think the Palestinians haven't taken the chance to work towards a peaceful solution. Hamas called an end to the last ceasefire." This participant was surprised to hear Hamas was reported to have said it would have stopped the rockets if Israel had agreed to lift its economic siege. The source was Ephraim Halevy, former head of the Mossad intelligence service.

Images of suffering do not now in themselves affect how audiences see the validity of actions in war. People see the images as tragic, but judgments as to who is right and wrong are now firmly in the hands of the spin doctors.

I WONDER WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN WITH GREG PHILO.

I doudt you are a chinese , if you are a chinese then you must know that china - isreal have good relation's

I doudt you are a chinese , if you are a chinese then you must know that china - isreal have good relation's

Great relations, like China not inviting Israel to the Asian Games? All the muslim countries were present.

p.s. I am Chinese. I have always been honest about my background, unlike some posters in this forum changing flags by the week.

Not only is supporting Israel repugnant from a moral level, it is also misguided from a strategic level. Israel is never going to become a great power in the Middle East because the country is too small and too conflict-prone. It will be eclipsed by rising Muslim countries in the region, like Iran or Turkey or Egypt. It may take a few decades but it will happen. So why should China jump into a sinking boat? It makes no strategic sense.

Great relations, like China not inviting Israel to the Asian Games? All the muslim countries were present.

p.s. I am Chinese. I have always been honest about my background, unlike some posters in this forum changing flags by the week.

Israel is not even a part of the Olympic Council of Asia anymore. They left the Asian organization to join the European Olympic Committees back in the 1970's.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Not only is supporting Israel repugnant from a moral level, it is also misguided from a strategic level. Israel is never going to become a great power in the Middle East because the country is too small and too conflict-prone. It will be eclipsed by rising Muslim countries in the region, like Iran or Turkey or Egypt. It may take a few decades but it will happen. So why should China jump into a sinking boat? It makes no strategic sense.

What about supporting Sudan? Oh wait they have oil:hitwall:

What about supporting Sudan? Oh wait they have oil:hitwall:

Of course. :wave:

For a large developing country like China, access to resources is absolutely vital.

You didn't think we were angels did you?

National interest always comes first.

People's Republic of China – Israel relations
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sino-Israeli relations

Israel
China
Israel was the first country in the Middle East and one of the first in the world to recognize the People's Republic of China. However, due to China's lack of recognition of Israel, it was not until 1992 that normal diplomatic relations were established.[1] Since then, Israel and China have developed close commercial, military and strategic cooperation.
Contents [hide]
1 Background
2 Development of bilateral relations
3 Military cooperation
4 Controversies
5 See also
6 External sources
7 References
[edit]Background

Ties between the People's Republic of China and Israel were virtually non-existent until the 1980s owing to China's support for the nations of the Muslim world who opposed the creation of Israel and the partition of Palestine in 1948; it chose to recognize the State of Palestine as proclaimed by the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO). Until the 1980s, China refused to grant visas to Israelis unless they held dual citizenship and carried a passport of a country other than Israel.[2]
China and Israel secretly began building ties, especially military cooperation in the 1980s.[2] In the 1980s, China and Israel began exchanging visits of delegations of academicians, experts and businessmen and industrialists.[2] China eased travel restrictions while Israel reopened its consulate in Hong Kong (then under British administration), which would serve as the main point for diplomatic and economic contacts between the two nations.[2] In the early 1990s, China joined a number of nations who established ties with Israel after the initiation of a peace process between Israel and the PLO in the early 1990s; it also desired to play a role in the peace process.
[edit]Development of bilateral relations

In November 1991, the Defense Minister of Israel Moshe Arens was reported to have paid a secret visit to China and believed to have negotiated the establishment of ties and expansion of military cooperation. On January 23, 1992 the Foreign Minister of Israel David Levy paid a four-day visit to Beijing, preceding the formal establishment of ties. Both nations had maintained some trade links, which stood at USD 30 million in 1992. Since then, the annual growth in trade has averaged 40%.[3] Bilateral trade rose to USD 3 billion in 2005 and is projected to rise to USD 5 billion by 2008 and USD 10 billion by 2010.[3][4] China is Israel's largest Asian trading partner[3] and has sought Israel's expertise in solar energy, manufacturing robotics, irrigation, construction, agricultural and water management and desalination technologies to combat drought and water shortages.[2][5] In turn, Israel has imported high-tech products and manufactured goods from China. In 2007, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert made a high-profile visit to China to bolster trade and military cooperation and seek China's support over the conflict over Iran's nuclear proliferation.[4]
[edit]Military cooperation

Israel and China began extensive military cooperation as early as the 1980s, even though no formal diplomatic relations existed.[6][7][8][9] Some estimate that Israel sold arms worth USD 4 billion to China in this period.[6][8] China has looked to Israel for the arms and technology it wants but cannot acquire from both the United States and Russia. Israel has now become China's second-largest supplier of arms (following Russia).[6] China has purchased a wide array of military equipment and technology, including communications satellites.[6] The building of military cooperation and trade has softened China's historic anti-Israeli policy over Palestine and Middle East issues.[6] China has become a vital market for Israel's extensive military industries and arms manufacturers.[6] Israel has also limited its cooperation with the Republic of China (Taiwan) in order to foster closer ties with the People's Republic of China.[6] The Commander of the Israeli Navy, Eli Marom is of Chinese origin through his mother.
[edit]Controversies

Israel's increasing defense cooperation with China has caused concern in the United States, which is the largest foreign supplier of military equipment to Israel. Owing to strategic rivalry and concerns over the security of Taiwan, the U.S. has pressured Israel against selling sophisticated equipment and technology to China.[9] Israel cancelled the sale to China of the Israeli-built Phalcon Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) in 2000 in wake of pressure from the U.S., which threatened to cut off USD 2.8 billion in yearly aid if the deal went through.[10] Israel's decision drew condemnation from China, which stated that the cancellation would hurt bilateral ties.[7][10] U.S. intelligence also suspects that exported American Patriot missiles and Israel's indigenous Lavi jet aircraft technology have been shared with China.[7]
In 2010, the United Nations Security Council passed Resolution 1929, imposing a fourth round of sanctions against Iran for its nuclear enrichment program. China ultimately supported this resolution, although initially, due to the strong Chinese-Iranian relationship, China opposed the sanctions. According to reports by the The New York Times,[11] Israel lobbied for the sanctions by explaining to China the impact of any pre-emptive strike on Iran would have on the world oil supply, and hence on the Chinese economy.[12] It is speculated that it was these concerns that then caused the Chinese to support the additional sanctions against Iran.[13]

what do you say now my chinese brother??????

Of course. :wave:

For a large developing country like China, access to resources is absolutely vital.

You didn't think we were angels did you?

National interest always comes first.

Yeah nah I wasn't really commenting about China, I was just commenting about his bs of being morally repugnant. He is probably the first "Chinese" I have come across with such hate for Israel. I thought China and Chinese were all about not interfering in others internal matters. Guess not

Don`t worry Papershark, the feeling is mutual.
Your host country is one of the most Pro-Israeli countries in the world, if you were not aware. Your uneducated mind is amusing, seems like you`re not very well learned in the Israeli-Arab conflict, but i honestly don`t care about that.
Israel already is a military Great power in the middle east and is second to none. Even before the US became an ally of ours we had already crushed multiple Soviet backed Arab armies, not to mention the 6 Day War which the name speaks for itself.
The reason why the US calls us their greatest ally and best friend is because they saw in us what you clearly do not, the game changer in the Middle East.
Israel accounts for more than 10% of all Military sales in the world.
Israel has one of the best Air Forces in the world, rivaled only by few.
Israel has crushed any and every enemy that dared attack us shamelessly on our Holiest day in the year, mercilessly and with pure cowardliness killed our women and children, and attacked us from every direction during truces.
Israel is one of the most developed countries in the world with a GDP of 30K USD nominal per capita.
Israel has crushed enemies that outnumbered her a hundredfold, that had every single advantage, but it always came out victorious.
This country is only getting stronger day by day, friend.

What a shame. Israel needs to stop killing innocent Palestinians. Israel is a terrorist state.

No need to use such words buddy.

China's policy is no-interference in other countries internal affairs.

We have to take care of our own problems first.

He is probably the first "Chinese" I have come across with such hate for Israel. I thought China and Chinese were all about not interfering in others internal matters. Guess not

It is quite rare. But not unheard of, as the age of globalization pulls ideas from all over the world.

then ask u r govt to stop buying arms from them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom