What's new

Japan suffers lowest number of births on record as population shrinks

Exactly. The traditional family unit has broken down and it'll inevitably lead to birthrate decline. Even in underdeveloped SEAsia the birthrate has slipped to below the 2.1 replacement rate. Even Myanmar has gone from 4 in the 70's to 1.9 today.

World Development Indicators-Google Public Data Explorer
1.9 is really about right (2.1 is replacement level). It avoids the population decline of the West and East Asia but also avoids the kind of overpopulation seen in Africa and the Middle East.

Well, im not so certain that a declining birthrate is a favorable outcome for Japan.

This is exactly what's wrong with our world today: Industrious and productive nations are encouraged to have low birthrates, meanwhile third world countries where populations are less industrious and productive are provided with massive financial aid and favorable trade agreements boosting their populations, AND it doesn't stop there, but the less productive populations are also allowed to immigrate in the millions to the dying out industrious nations.

Of course, 7, 6, even 5 children are very expensive to take care of no doubt about that, but to be honest, wouldn't you as a Japanese rather prefer 7 Japanese children per family who are familiar with their own culture and have a strong bond with their Japanese heritage and thus deep respect for their own nation?

But how exactly would you measure someone's honesty in their intentions of becoming a Japanese citizen because they love Japanese culture and are willing to completely give up their former cultural/racial/national identity?? How would you know that they're not doing it out of purely economic gains or even harmful intentions??

What do you mean their encouraged to have lower birth rates? They have lower birth rates because they are more educated and have different priorities rather than it being some conspiracy. The simple fact is that immigration is linked with the need for constant growth. You can’t blame immigrants for their greed. If these societies want to keep their character and be homogenous then except realities that come with it (smaller economy. Reduction of living standards, Higher pay for workers etc) or just have more kids. Which seems too expensive for them (rather spend money on luxury goods rather then start a family) or it might hurt their careers. You can't blame that on immigrants or some conspiracy.

Japan should bring in immigrants from countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam etc. They are asian looking people, that's why :P

Then, these immigrants must take year/two year long course in Japanese language...

And after that, these immigrants must work in Japan as skilled labor/semi-skilled workers for atleast 4 years before they are given Japanese citizenship.

@Nihonjin1051 what you think of my plan?

What do you mean their encouraged to have lower birth rates?

Indirectly they are through the high cost of living also there are no gov.t initiated incentives for increasing child birth amongst native Japanese.

They have lower birth rates because they are more educated and have different priorities rather than it being some conspiracy.
Ok, let me make something clear here:

1). I never mentioned any conspiracy, that's just you with your preconceived notion.

2). Just because someone is educated does not mean they will have less kids compared to someone who is less educated. Its more to do with the societal norms and expectations of the individuals. In the Japanese society where both men and women are required/expected to work there can never be time for child bearing and child rearing.

The simple fact is that immigration is linked with the need for constant growth. You can’t blame immigrants for their greed. If these societies want to keep their character and be homogenous then except realities that come with it (smaller economy. Reduction of living standards, Higher pay for workers etc) or just have more kids. Which seems too expensive for them (rather spend money on luxury goods rather then start a family) or it might hurt their careers. You can't blame that on immigrants or some conspiracy.
I'm not blaming immigrants for their greed. If you cared to check my replies to @Nihonjin1051 i was simply pointing out to the negative outcome of Japan's suicidal decline in the native birthrate.

And no, living standards would not decline if the Japanese birthrate were to increase. I'm sure they'd be better off having more Japanese babies rather than import millions of third world immigrants/complete foreigners who don't even speak Japanese, respect Japanese customs, and share any connection with Japanese heritage.

I'm sure It costs more to house, train, feed, cloth, and provide jobs for millions of complete foreigners than it does to have millions of Japanese babies because those Japanese babies won't have to take expensive assimilation programs funded by Japanese tax payers money or learn their own language to work in Japan. The Japanese can learn a valuable lesson from the Europeans in this regard.

I believe the video game/anime culture has significantly contributed to the effeminization & lack of aggressiveness in Japanese men.
Am i wrong? Would like your @Nihonjin1051 input on this.

Definitely that has a large role , @Desert Fox . Its becoming frequent for those who are hardcore into virtual life -- developing infatuation for these "artificial" women. Definitely the obsession over anime characters exacerbates this -- situation for some people.

i can help in bold part :fans:

it is not just about aggression, i think japanese women do not enjoy sex time much because of small genital part of japanese men. That is why every year a festival take places which is all about man's genital part where japanese women pray for big man's genital part :sarcastic:.

Ha ha ha, what? That's a very interesting conclusion you have there buddy, but let me say that -- that generalization is not true. As for the festival you're referring to -- its one that supposedly encourages fertility.
Kanamara Matsuri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My thoughts exactly. Its quite sad!

I'm not blaming immigrants for their greed. If you cared to check my replies to @Nihonjin1051 i was simply pointing out to the negative outcome of Japan's suicidal decline in the native birthrate.

And no, living standards would not decline if the Japanese birthrate were to increase. I'm sure they'd be better off having more Japanese babies rather than import millions of third world immigrants/complete foreigners who don't even speak Japanese, respect Japanese customs, and share any connection with Japanese heritage.

I'm sure It costs more to house, train, feed, cloth, and provide jobs for millions of complete foreigners than it does to have millions of Japanese babies because those Japanese babies won't have to take expensive assimilation programs funded by Japanese tax payers money or learn their own language to work in Japan. The Japanese can learn a valuable lesson from the Europeans in this regard.

This reminds me of an article that addressed this issue back in 2014:

Can Japan show the West how to live peacefully with Islam? | The Japan Times

i can help in bold part :fans:

it is not just about aggression, i think japanese women do not enjoy sex time much because of small genital part of japanese men. That is why every year a festival take places which is all about man's genital part where japanese women pray for big man's genital part :sarcastic:.
If the measurement of a man's sexual organ determined the female counterparts interest in having a relationship (& sex) with the male then the indians would have died out as a people long time ago:

BBC News - Condoms 'too big' for Indian men

As @Nihonjin1051 and other members pointed out it due more to the behavior of Japanese men.

Exactly. The traditional family unit has broken down and it'll inevitably lead to birthrate decline. Even in underdeveloped SEAsia the birthrate has slipped to below the 2.1 replacement rate. Even Myanmar has gone from 4 in the 70's to 1.9 today.

World Development Indicators-Google Public Data Explorer

Not really.

Only overly western/westernized cultures are where family-units are broken down, traditional marriage is breaking down, and life is becoming boring/useless (drugs, sex, hedonism is out of proportion).

Islamic World, which is a unique global civilization of its own, is doing quite well when it comes to healthy birthrates, healthy family system, and healthy marriage rates.

Take Turkey for example. It is probably the most "westernized" Muslim nation because of its location (major industrial and cultural center lie in Europe itself!)..It is a developed nation, with growing economy, and dynamic society..

but it is still adding approximately 1 million new people every year (that after taking out all the deaths that happen in Turkey)..

A birthrate of 2 kids per woman is good.

A birthrate of 4 kids per woman is not healthy either.

2,3 kids maximum! that's enough

Definitely that has a large role , @Desert Fox . Its becoming frequent for those who are hardcore into virtual life -- developing infatuation for these "artificial" women. Definitely the obsession over anime characters exacerbates this -- situation for some people.
Yeah, its just creepy. I've encountered such people, they even behave like anime characters. Its amusing and sad at the same time.

This reminds me of an article that addressed this issue back in 2014:

Can Japan show the West how to live peacefully with Islam? | The Japan Times
Japan's success in its peaceful coexistence with the Muslim world has a large part to do with its non-interference/neutrality in sensitive issues concerning the Muslim world. Also, Japanese immigration policy isn't as loose as those of European/Western countries, which is a very good thing if the Japanese want to maintain social harmony and cohesion within their country if you ask me.

As long as the Japanese continue to maintain the status quo, they will need not worry about having any conflicting interests with Muslims.

Secondly, regarding what you said earlier about providing Japanese citizenship to foreigners based on their loyalty/desire to become Japanese, i believe this could only be determined through opening Japanese cultural programs within those countries from where immigration might be deemed desirable by the Japanese gov.t. Such programs would require genuine long term interest & involvement on the part of individuals to learn Japanese culture, history, language, and norms proving their genuine interest and respect for Japan, thus filtering out the economic opportunists and other undesirables. This would however require significant funding but just thought i should throw this idea out there.

Around 1 million newborn births per annum is reasonable. It should be increased to at least 1.5 million - 2.0 million. This is possible with the right public planning , and critical to this is the reduction in taxes. Perhaps also increasing immigration rates.

I agree with you @Kyoto . Perhaps learning from the policies of Taiwan, Singapore is reasonable. I'm all for immigration to Japan, provided that these immigrants would integrate into Japanese Society and actively want to become Japanese Nationals. :)

Believe me, it works in Singapore but you will get usual political rants and anti-immigration parties as a package :)

Japan needs to open its door to millions of Filipino migrants!

I heard in Japan most of the dudes are just not really into girls. They are not gay either they are just not interested lol. That may explain a lot.

Well, there are definitely social changes. For one, after WWII, Japan had a massive "baby boomer" effect, many of the servicemen who came back to Japan from our former colonies -- eventually "went to town", as the Americans would say it. lol. It was common for post-war Japanese families to have as much as 4-7 children per couple.
Back then it was common to marry at such a young age of around 18, 20, 22 et al.

Nowadays, society is placing more emphasis on education. More kids are going to graduate school, developing their careers before marrying and producing offspring. And when they do, it is around 1 to 2 children (ideal), instead of say 4 or 7 (tho it is still common in rural parts of the country).

Sustaining 4-7 kids takes a lot of capital. Imagine having to take care of 5 crawling babies in the living room!? LOL.

:lol::angel:.....:o:

What i mean is -- becoming active participants of Japanese Society. We should bring in more immigrants who are open to the idea of "becoming" Japanese. Once an immigrant chooses to naturalize, he or she must give up their former citizenship and nationality. They then becoming Japanese Nationals. Their loyalty and dedication should be to their New Homeland-- Japan. And to no other.

Stop wasting your time here & make some babies man

Many seems to be interested in virtual girlfriend rather flesh and blood, marrying one is one of the craziest thing i have ever seen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom