What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

All you've done here is measure the difference in aspect angle between two photos. Unless you know that the aspect angle of the two photos is identical (which you can't) it's not a like-for-like comparison.

The aspect angle does not really impact the tire height or the total height - the two dimensions used to normalize all others. If you notice I have used the difference in aspect angle to deduce that the wingspan is more in B3. Despite the difference in aspect angle, the wing dimensions (back end of missile rail on both sides) are similar, indicating a definite difference in wing span. Also notice the last two entries that show the impact of aspect angle, which indirectly indicates changes in Landing Gear. I put some thought into the calcs. I did not just wing it.

The aspect angle does not really impact the tire height or the total height - the two dimensions used to normalize all others. If you notice I have used the difference in aspect angle to deduce that the wingspan is more in B3. Despite the difference in aspect angle, the wing dimensions (back end of missile rail on both sides) are similar, indicating a definite difference in wing span. Also notice the last two entries that show the impact of aspect angle, which indirectly indicates changes in Landing Gear. I put some thought into the calcs. I did not just wing it.

So what is the value for difference in aspect angle you used? Did you also factor in degree of weight on wheels and compressibility of landing gear shock absorbers? That will be the determining factor for LG height and total height, because it won't show up in tire height to any great extent in both pics. The Block II appears to be longer past the point of touchdown, while the Block III more closer (AoA, distance between tire smoke and aircraft) and therefore likely to have more weight on wheels, thus higher LG compressibility.

Last edited:
So what is the value for difference in aspect angle you used? Did you also factor in degree of weight on wheels and compressibility of landing gear shock absorbers? That will be the determining factor for LG height and total height, because it won't show up in tire height to any great extent in both pics. The Block II appears to be longer past the point of touchdown, while the Block III more closer (AoA, distance between tire smoke and aircraft) and therefore likely to have more weight on wheels, thus higher LG compressibility.
My methodology did not need to factor difference in aspect angle. If I really tried, I could do it, but pfffttt....

I ignored the compression or lack of it because that is not something I could even attempt. All I can say is that we'll see. For all we know the LG could be exactly the same & yet Indians could be scratching their head over the puzzle - not a bad outcome if you ask me.

I am not emotionally invested in the height (or the lack of it) of the LG. I can sleep over the issue.

OK. I am not talking specifically about the grey area. I am focusing on the slight protrusion at the edge. See the two pics for comparison. I am not sure that this is for static discharge, since all that takes is a sharp pin & not necessarily a tube.

This could be same as the antenna shown in the pictures below

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-23-01-18-26-58.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-23-01-18-26-58.png
    899.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1629843699083.png
    1629843699083.png
    619.4 KB · Views: 52

Even if true this doesn't mean that 400 JF-17 block 3 will be produced. For single-engined fighters, you need to purchase one spare engine for every aircraft you've produced. The maximum number of block 3s even if Pakistan ends up purchasing all 400 engines should be less than 200.

RD-93MA has a new fan, probably upgraded combustion chamber, turbines and exhaust nozzle. It has new fully automated fuel control system and a emergency start up system. This extensive up-gradation must have have escalated the overall cost of RD-93MA engine. So it is more economical to order in large quantities to gain offsets.

Offsets may include in-house assembly of RD-93MA engine from their knock down kits, manufacturing of critical parts, overhauling and testing facilities for engine accessories and modules. May be after few years we may find that complete manufacturing line is established in Pakistan.

And it all depends on how well Pakistan and Russia and Central Asian countries connect with each other via peaceful Afghanistan.

RD-93MA has a new fan, probably upgraded combustion chamber, turbines and exhaust nozzle. It has new fully automated fuel control system and a emergency start up system. This extensive up-gradation must have have escalated the overall cost of RD-93MA engine. So it is more economical to order in large quantities to gain offsets.

Offsets may include in-house assembly of RD-93MA engine from their knock down kits, manufacturing of critical parts, overhauling and testing facilities for engine accessories and modules. May be after few years we may find that complete manufacturing line is established in Pakistan.

And it all depends on how well Pakistan and Russia and Central Asian countries connect with each other via peaceful Afghanistan.

I know again, most won't like it, but I see such posts from Russia as typical Russian PR. Similar I have a recent sheet from MAKS 21 claiming AGAT to produce AL-31FN Series 4.2 TVC-engines in production for CHinese J-10 and J-20 ... and you know what? this 4.2 was a project since 2017, China never opted for it and instead decided in favour of the WS-10B/C series but still they claim "hey, we produce this for China"!

As such, I would take any such claims with a huge grain of salt:

1629898870874.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom