What's new

JF-17 Thunder is Capable or Not ?

mughaljee

Reaction score
Fellows,
Our JF-17 Thunder :pakistan: is Capable in night operation or not, I mean can hit the targets at night or not ? :what:
Plz briefly

Yes, JF-17 is an all-weather, multi-role combat aircraft, which can be effectively used against almost all types of targets including those at sea. Therefore, the aircraft will be appropriately configured to effectively undertake the maritime operations as well. For this purpose, it is being equipped with a modern radar, which would have good performance against all types of targets even during bad weather, rough sea-states and EW environments. The aircraft is also being equipped with an auto-pilot, accurate navigation system, and other avionics systems, which are installed in any modern aircraft to ensure efficient day / night operations over the sea. In its weapons package, the aircraft is being equipped with modern anti-shipping missiles and anti-radiation missiles, in addition to the general-purpose bombs and LASER guided bombs. These capabilities would certainly make JF-17 aircraft a potent weapon system, which can be effectively used for all type of missions over the sea.

ANTIBODY & MZUBAIR
Thanks both of you,

I raised this question because, at GEO.TV “Kamran Khan Kay Sath” a retired air force officer said, that, we were using google earth against terrorist in Sawat , and we are not able to attack at nights , therefore we were not much successful, after aquaring the new F-16 we will be able to attack at night.
This is why I am asking, none of our plan is able to attack at night specially JF-17 which is our Pride.

ANTIBODY & MZUBAIR
Thanks both of you,

I raised this question because, at GEO.TV “Kamran Khan Kay Sath” a retired air force officer said, that, we were using google earth against terrorist in Sawat , and we are not able to attack at nights , therefore we were not much successful, after aquaring the new F-16 we will be able to attack at night.
This is why I am asking, none of our plan is able to attack at night specially JF-17 which is our Pride.

maybe cause there very few of them right now and are not being used for fighting terrorist

jf17 numbers have increasesd considerably to roughly make a squadron, but still its not a front line active squadron yet.. it would replace a5s.
so we are left with block15 f16s, which we are pushing to get upgraded

Yes the numbers have increased but the testing and trial phase is still not complete. The regular PAF operations with the jf-17 will only begin once the first squadron is raised. They certainly don't want to risk a valuable asset which is still under trials on risky night missions in hilly areas. Night strike capability was among basic requirements for this fighter and there is a reason why it is called MULTI ROLE. Google Maps were used to get appropriate imagery of rugged terrain in order to effectively take down terrorists hideouts. Using Google Map for such operations is nothing new since the satellite imagery is very expensive and Google Map provide a cheap yet useful alternative.

The rumor has it that we received night targeting pods for F-16 a while back which also helped in taking out terrorists hideouts. The type of pods is Classified

Friends JF-17 has to be capable. Recently all pakistanis compared JF-17 with our sukhoi-30MKI. So i dont know why this question being asked. If JF-17 can shoot down sukhoi-30MKI (which pakistanis claimed JF-17 can shoot down Sukhoi-30MKI) than it makes it superior. Right friends?

So i dont know why this question being asked. If JF-17 can shoot down sukhoi-30MKI (which pakistanis claimed JF-17 can shoot down Sukhoi-30MKI)
I raised this question , because, at that time i don't know about this Capability :yahoo::smitten:

Friends JF-17 has to be capable. Recently all pakistanis compared JF-17 with our sukhoi-30MKI. So i dont know why this question being asked. If JF-17 can shoot down sukhoi-30MKI (which pakistanis claimed JF-17 can shoot down Sukhoi-30MKI) than it makes it superior. Right friends?

On the contrary Mr Troll, the mighty Su-30MKI can shoot down 12 fighters at once (Indians claim this because it can carry 12 missiles) and it is a stealth fighter (because of its Israeli radar jammers). What chance does the poor little JF-17 have?

I raised this question , because, at that time i don't know about this Capability :yahoo::smitten:
Read the following:
http://www.pac.org.pk/amfsite-final/jf17.html
http://www.pac.org.pk/amfsite-final/jf17specifications.html
http://pakdef.info/pakmilitary/airforce/ac/jf17giantleap.html
http://pakdef.info/pakmilitary/airforce/ac/jf17interview.html
The above articles are a little out-dated, this one is more recent:
http://usmanansari.com/id16.html
There is also this one, but it is from Wikipedia so it is unreliable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JF-17

Last edited:
On the contrary Mr Troll, the mighty Su-30MKI can shoot down 12 fighters at once (Indians claim this because it can carry 12 missiles) and it is a stealth fighter (because of its Israeli radar jammers). What chance does the poor little JF-17 have?

Read the following:
Pakistan Aeronautical Complex....
Pakistan Aeronautical Complex....
Pakistan Military Consortium :: www.PakDef.info
Pakistan Military Consortium :: www.PakDef.info
The above articles are a little out-dated, this one is more recent:
The JF-17 Thunder: A hefty punch at an affordable price.
There is also this one, but it is from Wikipedia so it is unreliable:
JF-17 Thunder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Friend they said that because other pakistani members here trying to compare JF-17 vs Sukhoi-30MKI. Infact i think even the topic of that thread was JF-17 us sukhoi-30MKI. isnt that funny friend? Just to boost morale people would now match JF-17 to sukhoi-30MKI? even there was thread which compared JF-17 vs F-16 and the result u all knows. Friend i think when india inducting alot hi-tech jet fighters soon than pakistan should not dance around JF-17. Pakistan should think big. The latest jet fighters india inducting would be superior to sukhoi-30MKI. So think big that would give pakistan an adge atleast little bit. JF-17 thunder aint the answer nor other chinees made jet fighters. Pakistan needs 5th generation jet fighters to have an adge on india. Anyway Pak-FA would be ready by 2014, and our navy eye'ing on JSF for our future aircraft carriers.

No we do not need 5th. generation fighters yet.
The F-22 has proven to the world how much money, time and effort it takes to maintain a 5th. gen. aircraft. We sadly do not have the facilities nor the resources to maintain a fleet of 5th. gen. fighters.
Neither does India. 4.5th gen. aircraft backed up by more numerous 4th gen. fighters is the way for both countries.

Friend they said that because other pakistani members here trying to compare JF-17 vs Sukhoi-30MKI. Infact i think even the topic of that thread was JF-17 us sukhoi-30MKI. isnt that funny friend? Just to boost morale people would now match JF-17 to sukhoi-30MKI? even there was thread which compared JF-17 vs F-16 and the result u all knows. Friend i think when india inducting alot hi-tech jet fighters soon than pakistan should not dance around JF-17. Pakistan should think big. The latest jet fighters india inducting would be superior to sukhoi-30MKI. So think big that would give pakistan an adge atleast little bit. JF-17 thunder aint the answer nor other chinees made jet fighters. Pakistan needs 5th generation jet fighters to have an adge on india. Anyway Pak-FA would be ready by 2014, and our navy eye'ing on JSF for our future aircraft carriers.

if fifth gen aircrafts are removed from the picture, what do u call think big?
jf17 is highly menouverable and as sir murad said that its radar is even better than klj-7 .. so the radar also comes to block30+ f16..paf is flying f16 for 3 decadaes, if these pilots say it better than f16 and also asked for some added tweaks, then trust me they are at a better position than u to discuss the comparison and merits of jf17

so if a5, f7 are being replaced by such a block1 jf17 [ to counter jaguars/ mig27/mig29/mig21], then i wonder what the block2 jf17 will be!

regarding mirage2000, paf evaluated it in the 80s, alongwith mig29.. both fellshort of f16... so we went for f16... and jf17 is better than early blocks of f16, so u can figure out the comparison here aswell

in the su30 vs jf17 thread, people are not discussing 1 on 1 battle on paper... rather practical battle, inside pak territorry, with eyree support, jf17 in huge numbers, and better radar.. jf17 radar defieciencies and fuel shortfalls are nullified in pak territoy..[ these being su30s plus points]
if refuelers are added to block2 jf17s.. and block1 are also subsequently upgraded, then they can also play havoc on opp side aswell.

so in defensive roles we are doing fine, in offensive, just give3 years to j10b... perhaps we wouldnt even have to go for rafale..

iaf hasent ordered the mrca yet, and it would still take 3 years after the order, to get an actual active squadron..

countering iaf .. is our aim.. and it can be done by smart planning rather than fierce propoganda and extravagent loss of money.guided long distance missiles/bombs are being added so as to stay away from s300 sams etc.. and nuclear capble cruise missiles are being added aswell... these being cheap force multiplyers..

personally i think it was not a good idea for iaf to lay down the specs of mrca... and take time to evaluate options.. it has given paf time to take appropriate measures beforhand.

all big forces are self reliant in atleast their back bone arnaments.. and seek help from friends in offence arnaments.. this is the first step to regional dominance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom