What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Munir sir,i have been keenly following this thread and your's and oscar's posts since i joined this forum in 2011...We have been told multiple times by many respectable members here that SD 10A has been integrated into JF 17 block 1 but recent articles posted about the emergence of block 2 indicate that induction of this block 2 would enable it to integrate SD 10 and C 802,which suggets that block 1 hasn't been able to integrate these Missiles,there is alot of confusion...Would you please clarify it a bit..

Thanks..

I personally think it is a bit more complicated. Surely the block 1 has the capability to load and fire SD10A. If you look at that then it was capable. But... It was capable to fire SD10A which was almost same time being upgraded to a newer version with better communication and longer range. And with that the JF17 needed the software upgrade that is now being added to the former block1. It is now throughly tested and the links have been improved with ZDK03 and other planes. So, you have now a new era where one plane can turn radar off and use links with ZDk03 or other JF17's to search and track. It has now more range so better suited against opponents. So yes or no?

I personally think it is a bit more complicated. Surely the block 1 has the capability to load and fire SD10A. If you look at that then it was capable. But... It was capable to fire SD10A which was almost same time being upgraded to a newer version with better communication and longer range. And with that the JF17 needed the software upgrade that is now being added to the former block1. It is now throughly tested and the links have been improved with ZDK03 and other planes. So, you have now a new era where one plane can turn radar off and use links with ZDk03 or other JF17's to search and track. It has now more range so better suited against opponents. So yes or no?

Thanks Alot,that surely clear things alot ...:cheers:

I think Pakistan miss the opportunity of selling it to iraq and take some revenge from khawarij terrorist and forcing Maliki to come to the table and include Sunni and the decision making .
It was win win for both country.

situation in middle east is going critical
hope this will be good for jf-17 thunder export

Specifications
JF-17 Specifications:

General
Crew One
Maiden Flight August, 2003
Type Multi-Role
Cost $15m-$25m
Dimensions
Length 14.9 m 49 ft
Height 4.77 m 15.6 ft
Wing Area 24.4 m² 263 ft²
Weights
Empty Weight 6,411 kg 14,134 lb
Maximum Take-Off Weight 12,474 kg 27,500 lb
Maximum Landing Weight 7,802 kg 17,200 lb
Fuel Weight 2,268 kg 5000 lb
Performance
Maximum Speed 1,910 km/h – 1,187 m/h 1.6 Mach
Ferry Range 2,037 km 1,266 miles
Operational Radius 1,352 km 850 miles
Service Ceiling 16,794 m 55,500 ft
Thrust/Weight 0.95
G-Limit +8 / -3
Hardpoints 7
Engine
Name Klimov RD-93 Guizhou WS-13
Type Turbofan Turbofan
Origin Russia China
Number of Engines One One
Dry Thrust 49.4 kN 51.2 kN
Thrust After Burner 84.4 kN 86.37 kN

30_1.jpg

is this a Prototype of Thunder ? or its a different plane ?

one question that comes in my mind that , Can Jf-17 become efficient and long lasting A/c like F-16 in future ??
if yes than how we can make our Jf like F-16 ... ?
@Aeronaut @Munir @araz @Manticore @Donatello

Last edited:
I think Pakistan miss the opportunity of selling it to iraq and take some revenge from khawarij terrorist and forcing Maliki to come to the table and include Sunni and the decision making .
It was win win for both country.

I do not think the JF17 is a mud mover to be used in suburban area. The block 2 is more designed for export purpose but yet to be flown and tested. I think your statement could be replied with: India missed the opportunity to sell Druv, LCA and a lot more... None of those products are good enough or in final composition to be sold.

I think jf17 is already used to bomb TTP
And can easily use laser guided bomb to target terrorist hideout by doing it it's shows the world how capable the aircraft is and attract potential buyer.
And no need to bring India in this ifs my personal opinion.

I do not think the JF17 is a mud mover to be used in suburban area. The block 2 is more designed for export purpose but yet to be flown and tested. I think your statement could be replied with: India missed the opportunity to sell Druv, LCA and a lot more... None of those products are good enough or in final composition to be sold.

I think jf17 is already used to bomb TTP
And can easily use laser guided bomb to target terrorist hideout by doing it it's shows the world how capable the aircraft is and attract potential buyer.
And no need to bring India in this ifs my personal opinion.

Always nice to hear from an Indian what we do.. Just show me laser guidance in JF17... No you can't. So it dropped lgb while it has no laser designator? Why would they do that? Risking f16 and Jf17 for one mission? We do not need to put this on India but you being an ignorant fool.

update from Feng:

Outside of these 2, I have not seen any new JH-7A unit this year, which could mean the production for it has stopped. It would be replaced by JH-7B and J-16 in service. There is also no sign at the current time that PLAAF will be inducting JF-17 into service, but that may change when they have the domestic engine option available.

Always nice to hear from an Indian what we do.. Just show me laser guidance in JF17... No you can't. So it dropped lgb while it has no laser designator? Why would they do that? Risking f16 and Jf17 for one mission? We do not need to put this on India but you being an ignorant fool.

Munir,

Doesn't JF-17 use the WMD-7 pod for designation purposes?

Will use but not inducted yet. Have not seen on PAF JF17 sofar.

So, you have now a new era where one plane can turn radar off and use links with ZDk03 or other JF17's to search and track. It has now more range so better suited against opponents. So yes or no?

I had learned Rafael could do that.. Pakistan would be amazed if JF-17s can see through each other's radars and one locks on a target while other releases missiles. So sir tell us if this has happened already and if JF-17 can do this with each other as well as with ZDK03?

I had learned Rafael could do that.. Pakistan would be amazed if JF-17s can see through each other's radars and one locks on a target while other releases missiles. So sir tell us if this has happened already and if JF-17 can do this with each other as well as with ZDK03?

It is not that new. Swedish planes Viggen could do that. Just like the fact that they performed cobra with Viggen a lot earlier then the Russians. Anyway. One of the principles of netcentric warfare is that everyone know everything from each other and sometimes even can use each others weapons. It is not that much high tech but now more the way of airwar....

For maximum benefit of this, JF-17 Block III should incorporated features of frontal stealth. I do not know if that would happen, just hope that it does.

AWAC to aircraft datalinks are now standard.

I've read the MLUed F-16 is capable of data linking and radar sharing upto 8 aircraft even without AWACs using Link16. Was an old article back in the Block 40 days.

F-16s have the ability to keep their radars off and use the Erieye to target fire AMRAAMs. Its called co-op mode.

Same capability is said to be in works if not already implemented on the JF-17 for SD-10 target acquisition and firing via ZDK03.
Amraam_performance.jpg

For maximum benefit of this, JF-17 Block III should incorporated features of frontal stealth. I do not know if that would happen, just hope that it does.

This is PAF's own bird, I'd be disappointed if they don't start to toy with the Stealth technology even in limited capability. The Chinese have two-three stealth programs running in parallel and I think Pakistan can get some of the stealthy designs for the airframe and start to use it on Block III as a prototype for a future 5th gen plane. Who knows, they might end up designing a 5th gen stealth jet with the Chinese based on the semi-stealthy JFT Block III experience?
I think its a must. You guys aren't competing against the F-22's and the likes, so for your needs, large numbers of stealthy smaller JFT's will add tremendous capability. Call it a "watered down" Stealth of you will. But it'll setup the industry to the 5th gen level as well as providing necessary experience to march towards a full stealth in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom