What's new

List of websites blocked in the People's Republic of China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
List of websites blocked in the People's Republic of China

Media
New York Times (The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia)[7] (Now Unblocked)
Radio Canada International Chinese (Still blocked as Mar 2010)[8]
China Digital Times (China Digital Times (CDT))
United Nations News (United Nations News)[8] - an independent news website not affiliated with the United Nations
Huffington Post (Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post)[9] (Now Unblocked)
Hong Kong Economic Journal (????) since 2009-05-09 (Working in Beijing 19th Feb 2010)(Blocked as of 11th Mar 2010 - ShenZhen)
The Local (The Local - Sweden's news in English) since at latest 2009-07-30
Deutsche Welle (Home | Deutsche Welle)
NTDTV (??????,New Tang Dynasty Television www.ntdtv.com) (Blocked as of 11th Mar 2010 - ShenZhen)
Wired.com (Wired News)[10] still blocked as of 1/9/2010 (Working in Beijing 19th Feb 2010)

Previously blocked
China Times (¤¤®É¹q¤l³ø¡G³ÌÀu½è³ÌÂ×´IªºµØ¤Hºô¸ô·s»D±M®a)[8]
Debian Mailing Lists -- Index
[edit] Blogging, vlogging, and web hosting services
Internet_Archive (Internet Archive: Free Movies, Music, Books & Wayback Machine) is blocked as March 2010
Mail-Archive(The Mail Archive)
Facebook (Still blocked as of 11 June 2010)
Myspace - Pictures and videos inaccesible (Still blocked as of August 2008) (Unblocked as of 4 August 2010)
Youtube
Blocked still 4 July 2010.
Blocked 24 March 2009, still currently blocked as of 3 January 2010)[11] [12] [13]
Blocked 27 March 2008
Blocked 15 October 2007[14]
Blocked before 15 October 2007[citation needed]
Flickr image servers (farm1.static.flickr.com, farm2.static.flickr.com),[15][16]
Unblocked 15 October 2007 Flickr some new-uploaded image services,but old-uploaded images are still blocked.[14]
Blocked as at 2 June 2009 [17][12][13]
Unblocked as of May 11 2010 and have been for at least six months
Me, Mobile Me and formerly .Mac websites hosted on Apple servers blocked since 2007.
Tripod (Tripod - Succeed Online - Excellent web hosting, domains, e-mail and an easy website builder tool) (No Longer Blocked, July 2, 2008)[18]
Technorati (Technorati) (Still Blocked as of July 2, 2008) [19]
Blogspot blogs (but not Blogger) (Status varies.Blocked still 4 July 2010. Unblocked for most of 2008.)
Blogspot blogs and Blogger are fully blocked as of 15 May, 2009.[20] [12][13]
Some Blogspot blogs are blocked such as bbcrfa.blogspot.com, Tales from a Draughty Old Fen and chinagfw.blogspot.com as of 18 April 2009.
Blocked before 15 October 2007[14]
Unblocked 1 July 2008[14]
Picasa (picasaweb.com) is blocked as of February 8 2010.
Plurk (Plurk is a social journal for your life) (Still blocked as of April 23, 2009)[21]
Wretch, the largest Taiwanese blog and image hoster, blocked since August 2007[22]; blocked as of 25 April 2009.
Webshots blocked as of 18 May 2009
Tumblr blocked as of May 11 2010
Posterous blocked as of July 22 2010
Twitter micro-blogging site
Blocked as of 4 December 2009.[13]
"Twitter unblocked, for now". The Peking Duck. Retrieved on 2009-06-14. Twitter unblocked, for now The Peking Duck. Was blocked during days leading up to June 4, 2009 [17][12]

Then because of the July 2009 Ürümqi riots, Twitter has been banned as of June 3 2010.[23]
Hotmail email service
Unblocked as of 2 July 2009 Was blocked as of 2 June 2009. [17][12][13]
Google and Gmail (Google.cn)
Blocked as of March 2010
(Not Blocked Now)
Yahoo (Yahoo!)
Blocked as of 17 June 2009
(Now Unblocked)
Localized Yahoo sub-sites such as hk.yahoo.com, tw.yahoo.com are blocked as of 11 Mar 2010
Imageshack(ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting)
Including all pictures stored.
dailymotion.com
metacafe.com
ljflash.com
sendspace.com
animecrazy.net (as of April 2010)
videoweed.com (as of May 2010)
DropBox (as of May 2010)
Foursquare (blocked on June 4th 2010) a location-based social networking website [24]
Brightkite
PBworks, still blocked 2010-07-13.[25]
[edit] Internet forums
HKday.net[26]
newgrounds.com
myspace.com - Group and forums
wizardsforum.co.uk
[edit] Non-governmental organizations
Amnesty International (Amnesty International | Working to Protect Human Rights)
Human Rights Watch (Home | Human Rights Watch)[27]
Reporters Without Borders (Reporters Sans Frontières)[27]
Wikileaks (www.wikileaks.be) [28]
Falun Gong related websites like (Falun Dafa | Falun Gong | ???? | ??? - FalunDafa.org) [8][29]
USMRA (United States Mine Rescue Association) presumably for hosting information on mine disasters in China at China Mine Disasters
Gold Country Seismic Station (Gold Contry Seismic Station | Public Seismic Network)
[edit] Online stores & payments
iTunes - blocked during the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing after more than 40 athletes downloaded a pro-Tibetan album from the service[30] (Now unblocked)
[edit] Political organizations
Central Tibetan Administration (www.tibet.net, www.tibet.com)[27]
Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China (??????????????? | Hong Kong Alliance In Support Of Patriotic Democratic Movements Of China) as at 17 June 2009
East Turkistan information center(uygur.org)

List of websites blocked in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Captain America your China bashing is beginning to get pathetic,I'm sure there are many forums out there that would find your post informative,but :pdf: is not one of them.

And what is the purpose of the this thread?

Its the truth, its important and its worth knowing, its also an insult to the Chinese people. Its proof that India is a better country then China. What problem do you have with it?

To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves. ~Claude-Adrien Helvétius

Captain America your China bashing is beginning to get pathetic,I'm sure there are many forums out there that would find your post informative,but :pdf: is not one of them.

Well said. :cheers:

The thing is, that this is actually an interesting topic for discussion.

The problem is that Captain America just doesn't like Chinese people (or any non-Americans) so his motivation in starting this thread is clearly based on his prejudices.

Maybe someone else should start a thread on censorship in China, so we can discuss this topic properly. :tup:

Its the truth, its important and its worth knowing, its also an insult to the Chinese people.

So you admit that the sole purpose of this thread is to insult Chinese people?

Don't you ever get tired of being racist towards others...

Maybe someone else should start a thread on censorship in China, so we can discuss this topic properly. :tup:

In that case,then I"ll say banning youtube isn't good as there is a lot of educational and informative stuff there.

Of course you can transfer all that to yoku,thats also an option.

Its the truth, its important and its worth knowing, its also an insult to the Chinese people. Its proof that India is a better country then China. What problem do you have with it?

It is a matter to be decided by Chinese people. If they do not have any reservations, why should I term this as "insult for Chinese people"?

And how it is proof that India is a better country. This does not affect India in any way. Please do not try to flame the thread.

I basically have no issues if you have different viewpoint. But I would not prefer to poke my nose into other affair unnecessarily.

Last edited:
that India is a better country then China.

No one here is interested in proving whoz better etc.

We all have our systems,which have their own sets of disadvantages when compared to the other but they work for us,that all it matters to us.

Besides if indeed its about proving which country is better we stick to HDI.

If your interested in proving US is better than China and parallely making a clown of yourself then go ahead,just leave us Indians out of it.

In that case,then I"ll say banning youtube isn't good as there is a lot of educational and informative stuff there.

Of course you can transfer all that to yoku,thats also an option.

I agree. :cheers:

Yukou is not really a sufficient alternative (in my opinion) because it doesn't give a global viewpoint. Hence it is not truly objective.

I have always acknowledged and admired the fact that India has clear advantages over China, in terms of the free media and democracy. Which translates to educational advantages, because of free access to objective information.

I hope reforms will come to China soon, but we might have to wait a decade or more for true political reform. Reform of censorship might come sooner though, since that has the benefit of improving educational standards.

Last edited:
If is a matter to be decided by Chinese people. If they do not have any reservations, why should I term this as "insult for Chinese people"?

And how it is proof that India is a better country. This does not affect India in any way. Please do not try to flame the thread.

I basically have no issues if you have different viewpoint. But I would not prefer to poke my nose into other affair unnecessarily.

Would you not consider it an insult if your goverment decided you were not capable of dealing with the truth and decided on what you could hear or say.

Since India has a free press it makes India in my opinion a much better country to live in then China.

When a country decides that its own people cant deal with the truth, what evil are they hideing.

Would you not consider it an insult if your goverment decided you were not capable of dealing with the truth and decided on what you could hear or say.

Exactly this is what I was trying to say. This is my understanding whether I should ne ashamed in such case or not. Other do not have authority to decide upon that. So IMO, this is internal matter for Chinese people only.

I hate to say this but do you want me to point out towards recent wikileaks incident? This may well be an exaple of govt hiding the facts.

Lastly this thread is not fruitful to me. Therefore excuse me. Thanks.

If is a matter to be decided by Chinese people. If they do not have any reservations, why should I term this as "insult for Chinese people"?

Well said buddy, this will shut the mouth of the hater "CAPTAIN FAKE AMERICA"

China is clearly the most self-satisfied country in the survey. Nine-in-ten Chinese are happy with the direction of their country (87%), feel good about the current state of their economy (91%) and are optimistic about China's economic future (87%). Moreover, about three-in-four Chinese (76%) think the U.S. takes into account Chinese interests when it makes foreign policy.:smitten:
Obama More Popular Abroad than at Home, Global Image of U.S. Continues to Benefit - Pew Research Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom