Reaction score
Country
India
BUSINESS

Rediff.com » Business

Meet Urjit Patel, RBI's 24th Governor
August 20, 2016 20:02 IST
blank.gif

As deputy governor, Patel headed the RBI panel to draft the monetary policy report, which became the basis of the ongoing reforms at the apex bank

20urjit.jpg

Reserve Bank of India Deputy Governor Urjit Patel will be the 24th Governor of RBI and will succeed Raghuram Rajan, who will demit office on September 4.

Patel, 52, joined RBI as Deputy Governor on January 11, 2013, and was given a second term in January.

As deputy governor, Patel headed the RBI panel to draft the monetary policy report, which became the basis of the ongoing reforms at the apex bank.

The Patel Committee report also formed the basis of the monetary policy committee, which takes away a lot of powers of both the RBI and the governor, as also move to create a public debt management agency.

Under the independent monetary policy committee, which is being set up, the government will set an inflation target to RBI and the governor will be made answerable to parliament if he/she fails to contain inflation within target.

Prior to his appointment as the deputy governor, Patel was advisor (energy & infrastructure), The Boston Consulting Group.

He is a Ph.D. (Economics) from Yale University (1990) and M Phil from Oxford (1986) and has been a non-resident Senior Fellow at the The Brookings Institution since 2009.

Patel was with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) between 1990 and 1995, and worked on the US, India, the Bahamas and Myanmar desks.

He was on deputation (1996-1997) from the IMF to the Reserve Bank of India and provided advice on development of the debt market, banking sector reforms, pension fund reforms, real exchange rate targeting and evolution of the foreign exchange market.

Patel was also a Consultant (1998-2001) to the ministry of finance, Department of Economic Affairs, New Delhi.

Some of his previous assignments include, president (business development), Reliance Industries; executive director and member of the management committee, IDFC (1997-2006); member of the integrated energy policy committee (2004-2006) and member of the board, Gujarat State Petroleum Corporation Ltd.

Between 2000 and 2004, Patel worked closely with several central and state high-level committees, such as, task force on direct taxes, finance ministry, advisory committee (on Research Projects and Market Studies), Competition Commission of India, secretariat for the Prime Minister’s Task Force on Infrastructure, Group of Ministers on Telecom Matters, Committee on Civil Aviation Reforms, Ministry of Power's Expert Group on State Electricity Boards and High Level Expert Group for Reviewing the Civil & Defence Services Pension System.

Patel has authored technical publications, papers and comments in the areas of Indian macroeconomics, public finance, infrastructure, financial intermediation, international trade and the economics of climate change.

http://m.rediff.com/business/report/meet-urjit-patel-rbis-24th-governor/20160820.htm

another champ patel from Gujrat ✌... more on the way..

Urjit Patel’s appointment as the new Reserve Bank of India governor on Saturday appeared to have the support of BJP MP Subramanian Swamy, who recently launched a series of attacks against the outgoing central bank chief Raghuram Rajan.

In a string of re-tweets and replies to his Twitter followers, Swamy said it will be utterly “idiotic” to think he will attack Patel because he was born in Kenya.

Swamy, who has been critical of Rajan’s policy of not lowering interest rates to check inflation, hoped Patel will not be as “hawkish” as the outgoing governor.

When one of his followers mentioned Patel’s Kenyan origin, Swamy replied: “He is not a Kenyan citizen, but was. R3 was born Indian and chose to continue his US green card even though in India from 2007.”

It is also a caste, anyway what has gujrat to do with his appointment ... he has a solid CV and has actually worked at the RBI directly under RRR.

The only thing I find disturbing is his engagement with Brookings.

I don't need to explain all the things.. Modi love with Gujrat is open secret.. don't act like Amul baby..

Your love with vatican is also open secret.

hahaha idiot .. get a life.. Am not any blind bhakt .. He is born in Kenya though Subbu attacked RR on the basis of green card but now he is silent..

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...resh-prabhu-narendra-modi-government-2840340/

Why you are acting like drama queen.. huh.. Patel is his name of course it is a caste and influential in Gujrat... Am not chamcha like you... you might be support of some party.. Am not... Don't be stupid..

See i don't even know you.. but you come to know Christian and talking about vatican .. how cute.. very well organised online team..

hahaha idiot .. get a life.. Am not any blind bhakt .. He is born in Kenya though Subbu attacked RR on the basis of green card but now he is silent..

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...resh-prabhu-narendra-modi-government-2840340/

Why you are acting like drama queen.. huh.. Patel is his name of course it is a caste and influential in Gujrat... Am not chamcha like you... you might be support of some party.. Am not... Don't be stupid..

See i don't even know you.. but you come to know Christian and talking about vatican .. how cute.. very well organised online team..

Lol I have been a long member of this forum and remember when one member asked you about hypothetically nuking vatican for India. I remember the heartburn you had.

Anyway as long as he is not from vatican he's cool. and If he's a gujarati he's double cool. and I don't work for any party.
As far as subbu swamy is concerned ... I don't care about him. Except for his(patel's) work at brookings I like his CV.

Is modi promoting only gujjus?

Is this govt abt gujjus ka saath gujus ka vikas?

Back
Top Bottom