What's new

More than 300 Indians have died of the coronavirus, and nearly 200 of the lockdown

Areesh

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A cost-benefit analysis of India’s coronavirus lockdown must take into account the deaths caused by the lockdown itself.

India's Covid-19 death toll on the morning of 13 April is 331. As India extends the lockdown in a modified form for another two weeks, here’s another statistic we need to think about: at least 195 people have died of the lockdown.

Had the lockdown been better planned and more judiciously thought out, many of these lives could have been saved.

The dataset of 195 deaths (and counting) has been created by researchers Thejesh GN, Kanika Sharma and Aman. It has been collected from credible news or social media reports from across India, many of which are listed on this Twitter thread.

The human cost of lockdown
Of these, 53 deaths were caused by exhaustion, hunger, denial of medical care, or suicides due to lack of food or livelihood.

At least seven people were killed in violent crimes, such as people turning into vigilantes and attacking others for violating the lockdown.

Migrant labourers wanting to return home were forced to walk hundreds of kilometres on highways that speeding vehicles were expecting to be empty. At least 35 migrants were accidentally run over.

It is well known that alcoholics can die of delirium tremens, withdrawal symptoms or driven to suicide if suddenly denied alcohol. India’s lockdown shut all alcohol stores. At least 40 people have died or committed suicide because we don’t consider alcohol as an essential commodity.
Another 39 people have committed suicide because they feared getting the coronavirus infection, thanks to the panic created by the lockdown, or because of loneliness or being quarantined. Yet another 21 deaths were caused for miscellaneous reasons.

These are just the reported deaths, the real numbers would likely be much higher.

Dying to prevent coronavirus deaths

Take a moment to think about the absurdity of this: Indians died due to measures that were meant to save them from dying.

It is clear that the lockdown is being extended, though thankfully it seems it will be more nuanced, targeting hotspots differently from other areas that haven’t seen any Covid-19 positive cases yet. There is likely to be limited opening up of the economy. These efforts will remain risky considering we still aren’t testing aggressively enough.

If the Narendra Modi government had prepared early on, starting in February, for aggressive testing, indigenously made testing kits, had manufactured more PPEs at war footing instead of exporting what we had, we wouldn’t have needed a mindless lockdown.

The harshest lockdown in the world that closes public transport, trains and flights, prevents people from travelling for emergency reasons, and makes it difficult for people to even feed themselves — this isn’t the humane way to deal with a national health crisis.

What’s the point of living?

The lockdown is meant to save our lives from the coronavirus. But for some, it made life so difficult that surviving the virus was pointless. They took their own lives.

One such person was Rambhavan Shukla, 52, who hung himself from a tree branch because he couldn’t find labour to harvest the wheat crop on his farm in Banda, Uttar Pradesh. Instead of facing a year of financial ruin, he cut short the misery.

Another example is that of Aldrin Lyngdoh, a young man from Meghalaya who was sacked and kicked out by a restaurant he worked at in Agra. In his suicide note, he said the owners of the restaurant, which is ironically named Shanti Food Centre, knew they could get away with anything since one of their relatives is a minister in the UP government.

Lyngdoh committed suicide because he was an orphan with no one to look after him, and nowhere to go. Not that he could have managed to reach Meghalaya amid the lockdown even if there was someone there to support him.

https://theprint.in/opinion/more-th...ockdown/400714/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

The print is a website run by traitors...those SoBs are hated here..the more they write against Modi and his policies ,the more powerful he will become.

The murder rate reduces in a lockdown. So does the rate of accidents. Trauma deaths are the lowest I have ever seen in the hospital I work.

Yeah Gujarati gandu is not to be blamed for these deaths

It is the website that is at fault
There was no choice left..India is a poor country...it is sad that some poor people suffered in the beginning..but what could be done?could modi have allowed those people to go back to their places by running trains and buses..thats foolishness...that was inviting disaster..but things settled now..migrant workers are being provided food and ration by all the states.
The print and the wire have only one agenda...vilify Modi.

One gujju calling another names.

I am not a gujju. Have many friends here in Karachi who are. All say modi the same that i said

There was no choice left..India is a poor country...it is sad that some poor people suffered in the beginning..but what could be done?could modi have allowed those people to go back to their places by running trains and buses..thats foolishness...that was inviting disaster..but things settled now..migrant workers are being provided food and ration by all the states.
The print and the wire have only one agenda...vilify Modi.

Lol

Ok

Tu thali peet aur dia jala. Corona haar jaye ga

I am not a gujju. Have many friends here in Karachi who are. All say modi the same that i said

A guy like Modi is just a symptom.

After him there will be someone who will make him look like a pacifist and you guys will be singng his praises as you do Vajpayee now.

It is what it is, and if we need a strong Hindu hand to curb Muslim bullying then so be it.

You already have a Muslim country.

This one is Hindu. Accept it. Or not.

Does not matter what Karachi walas think. We only like your chewy halwa.

A guy like Modi is just a symptom.

After him there will be someone who will make him look like a pacifist and you guys will be singng his praises as you do Vajpayee now.

It is what it is, and if we need a strong Hindu hand to curb Muslim bullying then so be it.

You already have a Muslim country.

This one is Hindu. Accept it. Or not.

Does not matter what Karachi walas think. We only like your chewy halwa.

Whatever fire worshiping pajeet

EUMGj84UEAAYk8t.jpg

Impossible feat which no Bangali Baba could have achieved

" Getting rid of Mistress, Booze, Weed, Naswar and Gambling "

Done by Modi in just 21 Days :lol:

Whatever fire worshiping pajeet

Ok gujju khoja bhai.

Absolutely! Of a society that has fallen so low, that it is not even humanly possible to fathom its depth.

A symptom of a society that is now tired of trying to clap with one hand.

I've heard this so many times from decent Hindus.

What more do they want, the say?

We gave them an entire country (two as it turned out eventually).

We kept a third of them in our own.

Still they do not want to live like brothers?

Tell me ....

Letting go of cow cola, or whatever toxic intoxicant they have been holding, would be a good idea.

I've heard this so many times from decent Hindus.

What more do they want, the say?

We gave them an entire country (two as it turned out eventually).

We kept a third of them in our own.

Still they do not want to live like brothers?

Tell me ....

Back
Top Bottom