What's new

Musharraf: Uniform is an intergral part of my life

Given up Kashmir??
Mush is envisioned and understands that Pakistan will not have whole Kashmir in a long time, making LoC international border is the only solution which seems acceptable to India and Pakistan as neither side will be losing face.
Ofcourse the Kashmiri's have to accept it first.
Kashmir is the main reason we spend billions on defence, we have no other choice as our eastern neighbor is spending five times more than us.
National security is one thing you cannot afford to compromise!

Where was his vision when he went ahead with Kargil?

Vacuum was created when Pakistan lost The Quaid and Liaqat Ali Khan and has continued to exist eversince.

And Ayub khan filled that vacuum ................ which Mushy continues to fill

Lahori paa jee said:
And Ayub khan filled that vacuum ................ which Mushy continues to fill

When democracy and civil leadership fails, some one has to take over.
Ayub Khan, Yahya Khan, Zia-ul-Haq and Musharraf came into power due weakness in civil leadership, they merely filled the vacuum, did not create it!

Lahori paa jee said:
Where was his vision when he went ahead with Kargil?
Kargill was a mistake, a miscalculated advanture.
If Mush had overthrown NS at that time things might have been difefrent today.

Lahori paa jee said:
5. Enlightened moderation

Paa Jee,

I'd like to know your pov about this point.
Why is 'Enlightend moderation' bad for us??

Lahori paa jee said:
7. According to Pakistans constitution (which is suspended btw) no army officer can come within 15 km of the capital unless called upon by President or PM. But Mushy is a president in Uniform. Secondly GHQ is being shifted to Islamabad. It only shows army's intentions of intervening into governments. It shows there mentality which is that the chief of army be it Mushy or those to follow will be presidents too.

Military has no business in politics unless politicians fail to deliver the job and compromise national security.
Suspending the constitution is a common practice when martial law is imposed so Mush has no choice.

Presence of new GHQ in or near Islamabad should not be seen as a 'writing on the wall' if the future civil governments rule the country as it should be.
We'll see fresh elections in March 2007, once the new civil government is installed the consitution will be enforced again.

Neo said:
Military has no business in politics unless politicians fail to deliver the job and compromise national security.
Suspending the constitution is a common practice when martial law is imposed so Mush has no choice.

Presence of new GHQ in or near Islamabad should not be seen as a 'writing on the wall' if the future civil governments rule the country as it should be.
We'll see fresh elections in March 2007, once the new civil government is installed the consitution will be enforced again.

btw, why is the GHQ being moved in the first place? My Pakistani friends tell me it's an impressive enough place as it is and dates back to the British days. Someone explain, please?

Neo said:
When democracy and civil leadership fails, some one has to take over.
Ayub Khan, Yahya Khan, Zia-ul-Haq and Musharraf came into power due weakness in civil leadership, they merely filled the vacuum, did not create it!

Why not replace it with another civilian government. How will democracy improve if you dont give it a chance to prosper.

Lahori paa jee said:
1. Created a political vaccum

2. War in waziristan

6. A change in policy. He was himself the mastermind of Kargil when he was only army chief.

1. He did not create a political vaccum, the country was falling apart, he held it together.

2. Well even with this "war", the Pak. economy is growing at 7% which is more than peaceful yet stagnant Jordan, Egypt, Italy and so forth. This "war" brings hundreds of millions of dollars of U.S. aid, and it is having no effect on the ecnonomy because it is insignificant.

6. It is better to change ones position than to continue on the same yet wrong path. The later is a sign of insanity, the first is of pragmatism.

Lahori paa jee said:
Why not replace it with another civilian government. How will democracy improve if you dont give it a chance to prosper.

LOL, how will military government improve if we dont give it chance to prosper??

Democracy is replaced by other forms of government because it Fails.

Lahori paa jee said:

How do you suggest we replace it with another civilian government when the country is in turmoil.
During all coups even the opposition was as incompetant as the ruling parties leaving the military no other choice than to take over.

Neo said:
How do you suggest we replace it with another civilian government when the country is in turmoil.
During all coups even the opposition was as incompetant as the ruling parties leaving no the military no other choice than to take over.

Why not the military install a caretaker govt. ( Supreme Court for instance) and back them? I agree the past Goverments have not been rocket scientists, but you have to start somewhere. The Election Commitee should be completely independant ( like in India), the Supreme Court orders must be enforced - by the military if needed. All of this will take courage to do, but if people start to see small positive changes, they will be encouraged to do more themselves. Right now they are de-moralized and feel they have no control over their destiny.

That would have been a possibility, Supreme Court in Pakistan is independant, souvereign and unbiased.
Still the government has to be reinstalled within 90 days if I'm correct.
This is not a long term option.

Neo said:
That would have been a possibility, Supreme Court in Pakistan is independant, souvereign and unbiased.
Still the government has to be reinstalled within 90 days if I'm correct.
This is not a long term option.

Why not "autostretch" the 90 days till the pieces, or some semblace therof falls in place - Dictators have no qualms about time, do they?

Then you'll have to change the consitution I guess.
I'll ask Sparten to answer, he's the home lawer here. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom