What's new

My Question ? If JF 17 is capable enough why we are purchasing even used F16

Actually no. The F-16 is only about a decade or so younger the T-55, while the MiG-19 is a decade or so older. Even the JF-17's design goes back to the early 90s at least. The point is that suitability to the role matters more than the chronological age. That is why half-centrury old B-52s still are on active duty.

The JF-17 is a great plane, but so is the F-16. A combination would work very well to serve PAF's needs.
I understand what you are mentioning. I admit Falcon, Thunder and Al Khalid...... but I reject T55 in the presence of type69/59....'..:coffee:

compare both in the weight,range, the useful payload and -- the story is quite different --- and having such differences dictates that both are being used for different roles as mentioned before, so there you have it ...
Ok ok.
Thunder is light weight, Falcon medium, Eagle heavy....... hun thk aa??

My Question ? If JF 17 is capable enough why we are purchasing even used F16

F-16 fills PAF's medium weight category
JF-17 fills PAF's light category quota

PAF doesn't use Heavy Fighters(2 Engine ones)

PAF's adversary is IAF,which uses Heavy and Medium jets in superior numbers.PAF has to counter these jets somehow.JF-17 is not good against these jets as they're much more capable,have better radar,greater payloads and such.F-16 is good,cheap and capable to counter these jets.Thats why PAF is buying it.IMO,PAF should have atleast 5-6 sqd of F-16s to counter IAF effectively.but instead,they're relying more on JF-17s,which is not that much capable,but it is "Affordable Airpower" though,which means cheap.

Bcoz PAF is already have all the infrastructure,training and support for F-16 and its ready for the sky
Jf17 is new they are still developing infrastructure and training and f16 is proven and Pakistan also have all the weapons in storage becoming useless

Pakistani sage has got it right, its a case of what you pay for the bang. Used f-16's are cheap for what they are; and remember the infrastructure to support and maintain them is already in place.

You end up with a powerful force relatively cheaply.

F-16 fills PAF's medium weight category
JF-17 fills PAF's light category quota

PAF doesn't use Heavy Fighters(2 Engine ones)

PAF's adversary is IAF,which uses Heavy and Medium jets in superior numbers.PAF has to counter these jets somehow.JF-17 is not good against these jets as they're much more capable,have better radar,greater payloads and such.F-16 is good,cheap and capable to counter these jets.Thats why PAF is buying it.IMO,PAF should have atleast 5-6 sqd of F-16s to counter IAF effectively.but instead,they're relying more on JF-17s,which is not that much capable,but it is "Affordable Airpower" though,which means cheap.

JF-17 Block I/II EASILY counters Mig-29s, old Miraages, and Mig-21s of IAF (not included most latest Mig-29 SMT one's)

F-16s will handle Su-30MKI..

So your assertion of "JF-17 not that much capable" is probably a way to make yourself better, but it has no evidence.

JF-17 offers everything: BVRs, WVRs, Modern Avionics/Radars, Integration with AWACS, Anti-Ship missiles, hypersonic air-to-ground missiles, and so on..

It can carry 4000kg+ payload..

In Pakistani Airspace, backed by ECM, SAMs, and favorable battle-environment, JF-17s can EASILY take on Migs and Miraages of IAF for sure.

Last edited:
JF-17 = J(F-16) + (J16 - 17)

it is complicated you will not understand :D

vipers are battle proven and have long history in pakistan . we got them used and cheap . thunders are new more expensive and need to be mature .

F-16 B40 10 to 15 M $ plus it's a capable fighter while the jf-17 cost more than that hence you guys buying more of them.

It's a good strategy.

There is no rocket science in the strategy, however you described it all wrong.
Pakistan has investments, skills, operations, roles and weapons developed for F-16 platform, which we have to utilize and maintain, until we are done producing JF-17 in large numbers.
It is expected that in future, J-17 will evolve further and F-16 will fade away, this is why PAF is not investing in brand new F-16.

Back
Top Bottom