What's new

Myanmar aircraft cross Bangladesh border, fire shells

It's not BAL alone. It has been a feature of BD government since 1990's Khaleda government. Since 1990 no government was serious about defence, none of them procured anything that was required. BAL shares majority of the blame I must admit as they have been in power for 14 years.

BA itself is hand in glove with the BAL. If they were not, they had enough capacity to warn the government to allocate budget for procurement, or else. They did not do that because they are a beneficiary of the current system. They are involved in making money by going to UN peace keeping missions, many of their procurement are for equipment that are required for those missions, you will notice most of their procurement are MRAPs, BMPs, transport helicopters, transport planes, small arms, body armour and things of that nature. They are basically using state resources to buy equipment that can be used externally to earn money for themselves, became a mercenary army. They are engaged in various business endeavors, garments, property development etc and other things. When rot happens it happens everywhere. If the rest of the country is fine, BAL alone has no ability to be corrupt.
BNP is equally to be blamed, if not more so. I watched aghast when Zia failed to continue the purchase of a full sqd of Migs and wrapped hasina up with a false case of graft and mothballed the best ship in BN. The callousness was unbelievable. BNP talks a good game but I will struggle to mention any significant defense purchase or increase in capacity in their time.

My current target is BAL because they are in power. I am not adherent of any political party, I just want BD to progress.

The military has been emasculated..how did they allow it to happen? Its a mess.

BNP is equally to be blamed, if not more so. I watched aghast when Zia failed to continue the purchase of a full sqd of Migs and wrapped hasina up with a false case of graft and mothballed the best ship in BN. The callousness was unbelievable. BNP talks a good game but I will struggle to mention any significant defense purchase or increase in capacity in their time.

My current target is BAL because they are in power. I am not adherent of any political party, I just want BD to progress.

I am same. I am a true BD nationalist and patriot. I don't care about any political party, only care about BD's development and progress.

The military has been emasculated..how did they allow it to happen? Its a mess.

This statement is problematic in BD/Pakistan context. Military has been emasculated generally means they no longer wield power or control the government from behind the curtains or they are not pulling coups.

The military should ONLY be masculine in dealing with external threats and nothing else. They should be subservient to the parliament.

I am same. I am a true BD nationalist and patriot. I don't care about any political party, only care about BD's development and progress.

This statement is problematic in BD/Pakistan context. Military has been emasculated generally means they no longer wield power or control the government from behind the curtains or they are not pulling coups.

The military should ONLY be masculine in dealing with external threats and nothing else. They should be subservient to the parliament.

As i said earlier military should be externally focused. It should not take part in politics but its oath is to protect the nation from enemies within and without.

They should absolutely be subservient to parliament.

But it is a two way thing.... military also requires support and direction from politicians. At this point they are receiving neither.

On a second note the last thing I want in BD is any replication of the PK military scenario.

From what incan gather based on limited searches, its not so much that your airforce doesnt have money, but you spent it on things that dont aid significantly to national defense. To be honest, while i am no fab of Hasina, the fact that there has been stability at the top in true civilian rule (corrupt as it is) has allowed for significant economic development in Bangladesh. While Pakistan, arguing between civilian and army has prevented it. Even a corrupt leader who brings some semblance of economic outlook can develop the country slowly. That said, just a cursory glance at the equipment of the BAF shows that you have more training aircraft than fighter jets, and some of your training aircraft are more advanced than the bulk of your fighters. You operate no basic jet trainer (assuming you use the 15 K-8 in that role then 3 different LIFT types. 11 FT-7, and of course the 7 L-39 albatross and 13 Yak-130 which are more advanced than the 36 F-7B/BGI you all operate. Why the logistical nightmare of that many types of aircraft just for training when your entire fighting force is 44 aircraft?

As far as fighters, someone above said MAF has only 40 4th gen fighters...(2 Su-30, 25 Mig-29 (5 additional as trainers), and 16 JF-17). I was surprised to BAF only has 8 Mig-29 (and that too most have poor availability) but they are the only BVR capable aircraft in BAF. I think there were opportunities to have better handling of the money available to get a better return here which would not put BAF in such a weakened position.

Any official protest being made yet to Myanmar gov ?

I don’t want a military with shiny weapons. Because they then get ideas above their station and start meddling in politics. Which then harms the economy.
Then you are living in a fool's paradise. Only a strong military can protect your sovereignty and economy!
Neither Burma nor India will invade us.
India will invade us for sure , if we don't upgrade our military. Please don't be fooled by shushils. Shushils are sugar coated quinine!

Keep it in mind , no one should seek for war , but everyone should be prepared for it!

That's why our main focus must be on both economy and military!

Bangladesh has no real enemies, and there is no need to invest too much money in national defense. This money can be used to build more infrastructure.
You are dead wrong. Bangladeshi real enemy is India , soon you will see that. I'm wondering it's coming from a Chinese!

Last edited:
Yes I know about the migs and frigate but it was an isolated example. Going by their general attitude towards defence, that one anomaly needs to be examined and questioned as to why it was so. If I follow my guts, it was probably to make some corruption money.

There are plenty of easier ways for AL to have made any graft money than buying these weapons systems from S. Korea and Russia back then.

They even tried to buy 27 F-16s from USA and were rejected before turning to Russia as 2nd option with Mig-29s.

Something happened to Hasina and AL as regards defence between the last time they were in power and now.

From what incan gather based on limited searches, its not so much that your airforce doesnt have money, but you spent it on things that dont aid significantly to national defense. To be honest, while i am no fab of Hasina, the fact that there has been stability at the top in true civilian rule (corrupt as it is) has allowed for significant economic development in Bangladesh. While Pakistan, arguing between civilian and army has prevented it. Even a corrupt leader who brings some semblance of economic outlook can develop the country slowly. That said, just a cursory glance at the equipment of the BAF shows that you have more training aircraft than fighter jets, and some of your training aircraft are more advanced than the bulk of your fighters. You operate no basic jet trainer (assuming you use the 15 K-8 in that role then 3 different LIFT types. 11 FT-7, and of course the 7 L-39 albatross and 13 Yak-130 which are more advanced than the 36 F-7B/BGI you all operate. Why the logistical nightmare of that many types of aircraft just for training when your entire fighting force is 44 aircraft?

As far as fighters, someone above said MAF has only 40 4th gen fighters...(2 Su-30, 25 Mig-29 (5 additional as trainers), and 16 JF-17). I was surprised to BAF only has 8 Mig-29 (and that too most have poor availability) but they are the only BVR capable aircraft in BAF. I think there were opportunities to have better handling of the money available to get a better return here which would not put BAF in such a weakened position.

BD can nullify "Burmese air superiority" with one single procurement if the fvcken govt had any vision. We have the money to do that and the Burmese can't keep up.

There are plenty of easier ways for AL to have made any graft money than buying these weapons systems from S. Korea and Russia back then.

They even tried to buy 27 F-16s from USA and were rejected before turning to Russia as 2nd option with Mig-29s.

Something happened to Hasina and AL as regards defence between the last time they were in power and now.

I have a good idea what happened to BAL and Hasina but I won't mention it here. Although I seriously believe BAL and Hasina government has no defence policy, they don't understand defence.

BD can nullify "Burmese air superiority" with one single procurement if the fvcken govt had any vision. We have the money to do that and the Burmese can't keep up.
The question i dont think should be about nullifying air superiority as much as it should be about providing adequate deterence. With the positive economic developments you have had, i dont think a full scale buildup is a good idea as it could derail your progress. BUT spending money smartly and getting rid of waste is a good idea. I think given the political climate, expecting J-10 or JF-17 (you are kinda on the outs with China and Hasina hates Pakistan and they don't much care for her) is a no go. Russia is blacklisted and any country buying arms from them could themselves face sanctions from the west. Typhoon, and Rafale are options but may be too expensive for what you really need. F-16 comes with many strings. Gripens would be good for a country like Bangladesh to explore. While on the expensive side, 18 gripen backed by 36 F-7 BGI would be more than a match for Myanmar. Also, honestly at the risk of sounding like telling you to get another trainer, i would strongly consider TA-50 or even L-159. It is reasonable to think with a western radar, MICA and Meteor could be options for both if AMRAAM wasnt. The L-159 comes with Grifo - L but i think the Grifo- E can be fitted as well, giving pretty decent BVR capabilities (probably equal to JF-17 block to in range). Grifo E with Meteor or Mica, even on a less capable aircraft like L-159 could give you a lost cost attacker/fighter capabpe of defending airspace enough to give Myanmar pause. But gripen would be the best bet. The only issue is the political will to utilize them.

Myanmar Military are digging in near the border with new bunkers. Similar move was made prior to 2017 forced push in of 1 million Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar into Bangladesh.

Local civilians are on alert to prevent any attempt by Myanmar to push in Rohingya civilians into Bangladesh. Last time they helped Rohingya with open arms from Humanitarian perspective, but this time they are not willing to allow a repeat of 2017 incident.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom