What's new

Navy Chief quits over spate of submarine mishaps

After this incident, 2 out of 9 available kilo submarines will go to refit again(I dont know how long it will take, may be 6 months or so) that means we have just 7 Kilos and 4 type 209 = 11 SSKs but question is how many of them are operationally available at any moment of time. May be 8-9 ssks and 1 SSN at best for now.
PS: Ins short very weak submarine fleet for a navy like ours

And you would still not be sure of their standard. It needs to be determined if these Subs have a Russian problem specifically or is it about crew not following procedures. Submariners in general have a very thankless job. You screw up, you will be dead.

Our submarine fleet is not in good condition as of now.

They could have avoided this by buying some scorpions of the shelf years ago while signing the deal for their production in India.

Perhaps they know something we don't.

Off the shelf means buying ones that are already made. Submarines are expensive. No body keeps a 'stock' of 6-10 submarines ready for sale. India did buy Scorpene, but delays and more delays. Business as usual in Indian military equipment procurement.

I think..it is right decision......
men at top are the example setter....he was given a chance a in sindhurakshak case....and many more recent cases.....
but the thing did not improved......there was report of a navy vessel being damaged......and the officers being drunk...
at least his resignation will send message in the navy..if you are not performing your duty well ..you will be removed...
and he id the chief....its his responsibility to keep things tight in navy.......
I do not expect much from our corrupt netas.....but any this in my armed forces hit my conscience........and I think its a right move.....:tup::tup:
Which is this incident about officers getting drunk???
Did I miss something???

Navy is going to dogs. Even if we accept that the Subs are old, still how will be explain the mishaps involving the surface ships? Something is rotten inside the Indian Navy.
The most serious issues have occurred with the aged subs ie serious damage and or (more tragically) fatalities. This is DIRECTLY caused by the age of these relics. The issues with the surface fleet are quite routine and for a navy that is already one of the largest in the world and is growing these things will happen from time to time- they are isolated incidents and one cannot claim there is something inherently wrong in the IN as a result as their training and professionalism is top-notch. IN each case individual BoIs have been set up and taken action against those in the wrong and cleared those deserving of such action.

The Indian navy is not alone:
USS Hartford and USS New Orleans collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A personal nightmare when two Navy ships collide | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Damage to Navy ship involved in August collision estimated at $3 million
U.S. Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Gulf – USATODAY.com
2 Navy ships collide in Pacific; no injuries - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com
Warship Collisions, Groundings , Fatal Events - World Naval Ships Forums
Navy Relieves Commander of Ship That Ran Aground After Sochi Tour - ABC News
US Navy Ship Ran Aground In Turkey - Business Insider
US warship deployed near Sochi runs aground - Yahoo News
BBC News - US Navy ship aground on Philippine Unesco coral reef
Captain reprimanded over ship grounding | Mail Online
Navy submarine ran aground after series of errors, inquiry finds | UK news | theguardian.com

Given the high-tempo nature of the IN such incidents are going to keep happening- what's the alternative? Keep all IN assets in their berths 365 days a year? No, danger goes with the job.

Which is this incident about officers getting drunk???
Did I miss something???
actually....few days back you must have heard of the navel ship collision to the fisherman trawler....
there was some unconfirmed news that ...the officer were drunk inside...and hence...were not able to detect the ship and it collided....

WTF is wrong with the IN ..... too many mishaps. BC saare swapping mein busy hai kya ?
I'm going to post what I wrote in another thread just to dispel this sort of thinking:

The most serious issues have occurred with the aged subs ie serious damage and or (more tragically) fatalities. This is DIRECTLY caused by the age of these relics. The issues with the surface fleet are quite routine and for a navy that is already one of the largest in the world and is growing these things will happen from time to time- they are isolated incidents and one cannot claim there is something inherently wrong in the IN as a result as their training and professionalism is top-notch. IN each case individual BoIs have been set up and taken action against those in the wrong and cleared those deserving of such action.

A personal nightmare when two Navy ships collide | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
2 Navy ships collide in Pacific; no injuries - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com
Navy submarine ran aground after series of errors, inquiry finds | UK news | theguardian.com

Given the high-tempo nature of the IN such incidents are going to keep happening- what's the alternative? Keep all IN assets in their berths 365 days a year? No, danger goes with the job.

actually....few days back you must have heard of the navel ship collision to the fisherman trawler....
there was some unconfirmed news that ...the officer were drunk inside...and hence...were not able to detect the ship and it collided....
No I didnt :tsk:
Could you give me the link???

I think..it is right decision......
men at top are the example setter....he was given a chance a in sindhurakshak case....and many more recent cases.....
but the thing did not improved......there was report of a navy vessel being damaged......and the officers being drunk...
at least his resignation will send message in the navy..if you are not performing your duty well ..you will be removed...
and he id the chief....its his responsibility to keep things tight in navy.......
I do not expect much from our corrupt netas.....but any this in my armed forces hit my conscience........and I think its a right move.....:tup::tup:

BS, I've heard nothing about them being drunk. Wait until an official BoI report is out before you start spouting such slanderous comments. In each case where wrong-doing has been found the IN has taken serious action against their officers. This isn't some rag tag militia gentlemen but a highly professional force that takes discipline of its men and officers seriously.

I'm going to post what I wrote in another thread just to dispel this sort of thinking:
That was a frustrated layman post bruv. I know the forces are professional and efficient. It's just that IN has been in news lately for the reasons they shouldn't have been. hence the frustration.

BS, I've heard nothing about them being drunk. Wait until an official BoI report is out before you start spouting such slanderous comments. In each case where wrong-doing has been found the IN has taken serious action against their officers. This isn't some rag tag militia gentlemen but a highly professional force that takes discipline of its men and officers seriously.
I am not stating for this accident....this is previous one....of warship collision not submarine...

No I didnt :tsk:
Could you give me the link???
here....:)
Naval warship INS Talwar collides with fishing trawler, four injured - Indian Express

We are not at war. During peace time 10 accidents in 7 months puts serious question mark over the safety standards and discipline. If these subs are so dangerous and unreliable why doesn't the Navy simply refuse to accept them as sea-worthy?

I agree.This is a wrong decision.
Look at the politicians who ignominiously cling to their post despite the huge losses caused to the nation by their offices.
Admiral Joshi should not have resigned.He should have chaired an inquiry.And should have made sure such incidents dont happen again.
High time we STOPPED using these 2nd hand equipments.

@Dem!god @kurup @Pumba @Indischer
What do you think?? Was this a wise decision???

I didn't get your notification...again.:(

On topic: I think it's the right decision. Accountability is the price to pay in High Offices. It's not like he wasn't competent or capable enough for the job, but the Navy IS his responsibility, and the number of slip-ups has been rather high in his tenure. It sent the right message, that nobody is above scrutiny in the Armed Forces, and poor performance is not tolerated.

But questions need to be asked on why the buck stops with the Chiefs of Armed Forces and not the Defence Ministry. After all it's not the fault of Armed Forces that they're still burdened with some obsolete and substandard machinery.

After Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, navy vice chief Dhowan, Eastern VA Anil Chopra, Southern VA Satish Soni in line of seniority. So who is govt choice?

But questions need to be asked on why the buck stops with the Chiefs of Armed Forces and not the Defence Ministry. After all it's not the fault of Armed Forces that they're still burdened with some obsolete and substandard machinery.
hehehe...
this democrazy baccha....you cannot question defense ministry......:D:D

Yes, I felt the same about PN assets where P3C Orions were bombed. Strangely, no one took responsibility then. Guess, not every soldier is responsible.
came on Topic.
I am eating BRITANNIA, Good Day Cashew Cookies made in india , right now here in karachi, Pakistan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom