What's new

New Trending: Bye bye wedding gowns and tuxedos, Chinese traditional style weddings getting increasingly popular in China

Find that hard to believe since the HK were huge on anti-Qing and pro-Ming, and they are mostly cantonese to boot.

Fan covering the face seems awkward and also requires a hand constantly up, this makes them unable to do the 3 kneel/kowtow (ancestor, parents, each other).
I will do some research on this.
Hong Kong movie budgets are so low that Hong Kong directors don't have enough money to study the wedding system and replicate weddings. Those commercial directors will of course choose the wedding ceremonies that Hong Kong people are most familiar with, that is, the weddings of the Qing Dynasty and the Republic of China.

Hong Kong movie budgets are so low that Hong Kong directors don't have enough money to study the wedding system and replicate weddings. Those commercial directors will of course choose the wedding ceremonies that Hong Kong people are most familiar with, that is, the weddings of the Qing Dynasty and the Republic of China.
Aksually:
A honggaitou (Chinese: 红盖头; pinyin: hónggàitou), also shortened to gaitou (Chinese: 盖头; pinyin: gàitou; lit. 'head cover')[1] and referred to as red veil in English,[2]: 37  is a traditional red-coloured bridal veil worn by the Han Chinese brides to cover their faces on their wedding ceremony before their wedding night.[2]: 37  The honggaitou is worn along with a red wedding dress.[a][3]: 560  Veils have been used in China since the Han dynasty.[4]: 202  The custom of wearing the honggaitou for wedding ceremonies can be traced back to the Song dynasty period.[4]: 202  The custom of wearing the honggaitou, along with the traditional red wedding dress, continues to be practiced in modern-day China. However, under the influence of Western culture and globalization, most Chinese brides nowadays wear white wedding dresses and a white veil, an imitation of Western Christian weddings,[5] instead of the red wedding dresses and honggaitou.[6]
Bruh...

My personal impression is red veils are for average people while fan holding is for aristocrats, I could be wrong though.

Meh, it could be true, these dresses are way too detailed and long to be for average people.
They are LARPing as princesses and officials.

This is what I expect as traditional wedding dress for the middle class:
1691478157795.png

Aksually:

Bruh...

却扇

My personal impression is red veils are for average people while fan holding is for aristocrats, I could be wrong though.

It is true that soldiers on the Ming and Song frontiers had begun to use red cloths instead of fans (at that time, fans were a luxury item). So the Manchus, who followed the customs of Ming dynasty frontier soldiers, also used red cloth, which led to the use of red cloth throughout the Qing dynasty.

However, in the Song and Ming dynasties, according to Chinese history books and ancient etiquette texts, fans were supposed to be used by families who could afford them.

The wedding theme color in Chinese culture is red while in the west is black and white. in the Chinese culture black and white are the theme colors for funerals.

却扇

This is back in the Tang dynasty tho, no mention of it in the Song or Ming dynasty.

Most HK TVB shows are in the Song or Ming dynasty (with some in Qing). So it is factual they used the red veils.

The wedding theme color in Chinese culture is red while in the west is black and white. in the Chinese culture black and white are the theme colors of funerals.

That's not true. Chinese weddings aren't always red. It needs to use different colors according to the "五德始终说" in different dynasties.

For example, the Qin Dynasty was "水" and wedding dresses were black. The Jin dynasties were "金" and the wedding dress was white.

Of course, in Hong Kong movies, all dynasties all use red.

IMG_20230808_154843.png

IMG_20230808_155047.png

Last edited:
This is back in the Tang dynasty tho, no mention of it in the Song or Ming dynasty.

Most HK TVB shows are in the Song or Ming dynasty (with some in Qing). So it is factual they used the red veils.

This is a poem by Liu Zhen, a famous poet of the Song Dynasty, and its "醺醺宿酒殘妝。待付與、溫柔醉鄉。卻扇藏嬌" clearly describes the bride's use of a fan.

This is a poem by Liu Zhen, a famous poet of the Song Dynasty, and its "醺醺宿酒殘妝。待付與、溫柔醉鄉。卻扇藏嬌" clearly describes the bride's use of a fan.

I'm not sure if it means the bride is using the fan, or the groom uses the fan to pull up the clothes (red veil) for his wife.

That is also another chinese tradition.

If they were 木 element, the color should be green, not white.
Among the Chinese "五德始终说", "水" is black, "金" is white, "木" is cyan, "火" is red and "土" is yellow.

I just made a typo. Jin Dynasty is "金", not "木", "金" is white.

I'm not sure if it means the bride is using the fan, or the groom uses the fan to pull up the clothes (red veil) for his wife.

That is also another chinese tradition.

The meaning of this poem is that the groom waited anxiously, and after the bride came back "乞巧", the groom took away the fan used by the bride to cover her face, and then tugged on the bride's clothes and joked with the bride.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom