What's new

New York Subway rider pushed onto tracks in apparently random attack

A screen door can easily fix this danger once and for all, yet US would rather spending trillions on weapons but not a few dollars on the safety of the public.
The US has a federal system. MTA is controlled by NY state. The federal government that spends on defence is not involved at all. Anyway, the subway is ancient and safety upgrades would cost more than a few dollars. Ultimately taxpayers will bear the cost. No one wants higher taxes or higher subway fares ( the NY subway is quite cheap and the majority of the users are from the poorer sections).

I was watching US travel log on YouTube last week and he was saying that everyone stands way back and only comes forward when train is stopped at front of them.
As they are afraid that some1 will push them. I thought he was joking or making things up to get more views....🤔
Why not install a fence on stations with a door. The door should open only when the train arrives.
When I was in St Petersburg Russia a girl committed suicide by jumping infront of a underground metro. Back in those days a fence solution was proposed.

Why not install a fence on stations with a door. The door should open only when the train arrives.
When I was in St Petersburg Russia a girl committed suicide by jumping infront of a underground metro. Back in those days a fence solution was proposed.
Everything costs money and often requires the system to be shut down for days. If the incidents become more frequent, they will probably spend some money and do something about it, but at the end of the day no system is good enough if someone is motivated enough to disrupt it.

Everything costs money and often requires the system to be shut down for days. If the incidents become more frequent, they will probably spend some money and do something about it, but at the end of the day no system is good enough if someone is motivated enough to disrupt it.
They are sending billions to Ukraine and still millions to organizations like daesh to stir shit in the middle east. But can't spend on a simple fence.
Evils in power.

They are sending billions to Ukraine and still millions to organizations like daesh to stir shit in the middle east. But can't spend on a simple fence.
Evils in power.
Please see my posts above. The US has a highly decentralized system of government. The federal government has nothing to do with NYC subway.

No one wants higher taxes or higher subway fares ( the NY subway is quite cheap and the majority of the users are from the poorer sections).
New York subway fare is around $3, China's subway is around ¥3 (¥0.4)

New York subway fare is around $3, China's subway is around ¥3 (¥0.4)
I was comparing to comparable cities like London. The monthly pass is still around usd 130, irrespective of distance or number of trips, which is quite cheap for frequent travelers.

This requires train cars of a consistent size so the doors align. I can't speak for New York's but in Boston the lengths can be different due to different model cars in the stack (which can fluctuate). Also some cars are double length.

Type-10-Vehicle-for-Green-LIne.jpg

This is not the current setup but illustrates how there can be different sized cars in the stack which would affect the door alignments.

Also in some larger stations multiple trains can pull in on the same track to stop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom