What's new

Why American Subways Are Some Of The World’s Most Expensive, US 1 Trillion Dollar Infrastructure law

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

Why American Subways Are Some Of The World’s Most Expensive, US 1 Trillion Dollar Infrastructure law​

May 14, 2023

Public transit can be extremely valuable for a city’s economy - in New York City 85% of the people who travel into the business district below 61st Street take some form of public transportation. In several major cities - New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., and San Francisco - the subway and other rapid rail systems are key contributors to the prosperity of the city.

In NYC for example, more than $37 billion of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s $54 billion budget goes to subways. But building subways in the U.S. is very expensive. In fact, it’s the sixth most expensive country to build rail transit in the world. And even that is likely an understatement. High labor costs, overbuilt tracks and stations, and onerous regulations all jack up costs.

NYC’s sheer population density makes it rather worth it - so many people ride the subway that the cost per rider is comparable to many European cities where total expenditures are substantially lower. However, the high costs hurt the case for public transit in less dense areas of the country. Lowering those costs could go a long way toward building affordable and accessible public transit for smaller cities around the country and reducing traffic congestion, pollution and traffic accidents.

This is ridiculous that NYC is expanding their subway and they can't even afford to maintain their old one.

It doesn't help that the subway was built in the days before cars and now people in NYC are doing this:

FSD Beta 11.3.6. Driving 7 miles to work with 0 disengagements​

decline.png

This is what the subway looked like in 1949 right before the decline of the subway system

decline2.png

decline3.png

Last edited:

Why California’s High-Speed Rail Is Taking So Long​

In 2008, California voted yes on a $9 billion bond authorization to build the nation’s first high-speed railway.

The plan is to build an electric train that will connect Los Angeles with the Central Valley and then San Francisco in two hours and forty minutes.

At the time, it was estimated the project would be complete by 2020 and cost $33 billion. But 15 years later, there is not a single mile of track laid, and there isn’t enough money to finish the project.

The latest estimates show it will cost $88 billion to $128 billion to complete the entire system from LA to San Francisco. Inflation and higher construction costs have contributed to the high price tag.

Despite the funding challenges, progress has been made on the project. 119 miles are under construction in California’s Central Valley. The project recently celebrated its 10,000th worker on the job.

The infrastructure design work is complete, and 422 out of 500 miles have been environmentally cleared. CNBC visited California’s Central Valley, where construction is underway, to find out what it will take to complete what would be the nation’s largest infrastructure project.

They did build the original railroad out west in the US, so won't be too out of the ordinary...
Russians built Siberian railway a century ago, it's indeed a marvel, but past glory had been long gone.

Why California’s High-Speed Rail Is Taking So Long​

In 2008, California voted yes on a $9 billion bond authorization to build the nation’s first high-speed railway.

The plan is to build an electric train that will connect Los Angeles with the Central Valley and then San Francisco in two hours and forty minutes.

At the time, it was estimated the project would be complete by 2020 and cost $33 billion. But 15 years later, there is not a single mile of track laid, and there isn’t enough money to finish the project.

The latest estimates show it will cost $88 billion to $128 billion to complete the entire system from LA to San Francisco. Inflation and higher construction costs have contributed to the high price tag.

Despite the funding challenges, progress has been made on the project. 119 miles are under construction in California’s Central Valley. The project recently celebrated its 10,000th worker on the job.

The infrastructure design work is complete, and 422 out of 500 miles have been environmentally cleared. CNBC visited California’s Central Valley, where construction is underway, to find out what it will take to complete what would be the nation’s largest infrastructure project.

I don't understand how they calculate the cost?

USD 88-128 billion!??? That is crazy!

It's like the railway is paved with gold.

I wonder if this is a scam?

These billions are nothing, US govt will be paying 1 trillion every year just for interest payments.
fredgraph.png

To bloat their GDP

I just watched YouTube video.

Going to the dentist costs around USD 2000-2800.

Having a baby in hospital costs USD 50.000.

Compared with the standard salary in USA, the ratio is almost the same as a poor third world country.

I feel like the people of USA are being scammed.

The high standard of living in USA is because the good price in other countries is cheaper.

I just watched YouTube video.

Going to the dentist costs around USD 2000-2800.

Having a baby in hospital costs USD 50.000.

Compared with the standard salary in USA, the ratio is almost the same as a poor third world country.

I feel like the people of USA are being scammed.

The high standard of living in USA is because the good price in other countries is cheaper.

We have health insurance just like Indonesia. Nobody with Insurance is paying $50,000 for anything. Even people with a low premium high deductible insurance max out at $10,000 out of pocket costs a year. Those with no income have it 100% paid by the state.

Do you really think people with 3 kids paid $150K in maternity costs? Can you think realistically please?

Same with basic dental costs. Insurance covers it. If you don't have any you pay like $250 for a cleaning.

Last edited:
We have health insurance just like Indonesia. Nobody with Insurance is paying $50,000 for anything. Even people with a low premium high deductible insurance max out at $10,000 out of pocket costs a year. Those with no income have it 100% paid by the state.

Do you really think people with 3 kids paid $150K in maternity costs? Can you think realistically please?

Same with basic dental costs. Insurance covers it. If you don't have any you pay like $250 for a cleaning.
I have an American friend coming to China to get Endoscopy, he said his doctor in US suggest him go to China to get it, cause even after factoring in the plane tickets, it's still cheaper to have it in China, Endoscopy costs around $30-$40 in Beijing.

I have an American friend coming to China to get Endoscopy, he said his doctor in US suggest him go to China to get it, cause even after factoring in the plane tickets, it's still cheaper to have it in China, Endoscopy costs around $30-$40 in Beijing.

Why fly all the way to China..he can just go next door to Canada and get it for close to free. He should get a second opinion from a better doctor...like one that isn't Chinese.

Why fly all the way to China..he can just go next door to Canada and get it for close to free. He should get a second opinion from a better doctor...like one that isn't Chinese.
He is a Caucacian of Norwegian origin and he told me in his small hometown in Minnesota almost all locals are white, with ancestors mostly from northern Europe, so I guess his doctor is not a Chinese.

He is a Caucacian of Norwegian origin and he told me in his small hometown in Minnesota almost all locals are white, with ancestors mostly from northern Europe, so I guess his doctor is not a Chinese.

So if the US is supposedly alone in high medical costs why would he have to fly all the way to China...unless other countries like Canada also have high medical costs...but that would obviously defeat the purpose of the narrative you are trying to sell.

He literally can drive over the border without even the need to pay the expense for a two-way plane ticket.
Minnesota.png

Last edited:
So if the US is supposedly alone in high medical costs why would he have to fly all the way to China...unless other countries like Canada also have high medical costs...but that would defeat the purpose of the narrative you are trying to sell.
I don't know what's with Canada but one of my Canadian friend, also a Caucasian, told me that seeing a doctor in Canada would take a very long time, he was shocked at the fact that in Beijing if you like to see a doctor now and in one or two hours you will be talking to a doctor in the hospital and all the test can be done and results come out in a couple of hours.
Maybe my American friend didn't want to wait for too long or maybe he told his doctor he had some connections in China. I didn't ask for those details.

Back
Top Bottom