What's new

New Yorkers banned from taking out trash until 8pm as rat numbers surge: ‘This is not Ratatouille’

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

New Yorkers banned from taking out trash until 8pm as rat numbers surge: ‘This is not Ratatouille’​

“The biggest swing that you can take at cleaning up our streets is to shut down the all-night, all-you-can-eat rat buffet,” NYC Sanitation commissioner Jessica Tisch said.

Bevan Hurley
October. 20 2022

635489800290300024-AP-Superstorm-Rats.jpg

New York City is to restrict the hours that trash can be left on sidewalks to after 8pm in an effort to curb the city’s exploding rodent population.

From 1 April next year, households and businesses will no longer be able to take out their garbage at 4pm, Mayor Eric Adams announced at a joint press conference with New York City Department of Sanitation Commissioner Jessica Tisch on Monday.

Residents will be able to drop their trash from 6pm as long as bags are put in sealed containers, the officials said, but no later than midnight.

Mr Adams said the new measure would reduce the amount of time that piles of trash were in the streets, removing unpleasant smells and sights from the city while deterring rats from venturing out in search of food.

“Everyone who knows me knows one thing: I hate rats,” Mr Adams told the news conference.

“Rats have no place in this city.”

Rat sightings and complaints have soared 71 per cent in the first nine months of the year, with more than 21,500 calls to the city’s 311 hotline in 2022, NYC Councilmember Shaun Abreu told reporters.

Mr Abreu, who introduced the legislation to reduce trash dumping hours, told media: “This is not Ratatouille, rats are not our friends.”

The Department of Sanitation will also try to reduce the amount of time trash is sitting on the streets by collecting more of it on midnight to 8am shifts.

“The biggest swing that you can take at cleaning up our streets is to shut down the all-night, all-you-can-eat rat buffet,” Ms Tisch told the press conference.

Mr Adams said the sight of trash on the streets was hindering New York’s recovery from the pandemic.

“Bags of trash sitting on the curb for hours have hurt our city’s recovery for too long and is one of the most indelible images of New York, but, today, we’re saying enough is enough by making a generations-overdue change that will have a real impact on the cleanliness of our streets,” Mr Adams said.

“We’re not going to let New Yorkers be plagued by rats - we’re going to keep our city squeaky clean.”

A public hearing on the new trash laws will be held in November.

They have mutated caronavirus and are going to use is to kill the mice. Very dangerous method.

@Dungeness looks like someone has a US obsession. Can you make sure to alert him next time about it. So I don't have to ping you all the time about it.

Must be truth is difficult to accept for some that NYC is filthy by developed countries standard.

Not surprising at all. I'm the one who is saying old cities have been going downhill since suburbanization started and money that used to be spent in cities is now spent on suburban development.

Here is a popular NYC suburb.

Why spend money on old outdated lifestyles?

Last edited:

Is New York really one of the top 3 dirtiest cities in the world ?

Is New York really one of the top 3 dirtiest cities in the world ?
I don't believe so, but it's still very dirty indeed, and very dangerous, crime rate is very high, I remember I saw crazy people everywhere in the city, it's quite scary.

So all US cities will become even more rundown and dirtier in the coming years? they are going to be like Indian gettos?

Mostly the older ones that were built around the circa 1900 archaic lifestyle of people living in tall residential buildings crammed together with shops on the first floor. This went out of style in the 1950s as we became wealthier and isn't as desirable anymore by the majority of Americans.

However newer cities have been designed far better and feature more single family residences and more room for everybody to have automobiles. This is more 21st Century thinking than the older 19th Century thinking.

This is the 21st Century US city style which most Americans find appealing...which is not the old 19th Century NYC style (which is also seen in China). You never post videos about new cities in the US just your obsession with old style ones.

Last edited:
He posts a garden variety of topics, but you post nothing but evil China, well, besides Tesla. :enjoy:

LOL! A story about rats in a US city?
What article did I ever post like that?

Don't worry I'll keep tagging you since you always complain about my posts being negative about China but for some reason you can't see the Chinese members doing it daily....I'll keep you in the loop so you don't miss it..and won't feel easily offended when I brush off your obvious glass-hearted replies to my posts as being laughable under the circumstances.

besides Tesla.
:enjoy:

We only do that because too many PDF members repeatedly called Tesla a sham company that will never go anywhere and will never make a profit. :enjoy:

Now they have to see it being mentioned every single day..:omghaha:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom