What's new

Nirbhay Cruise Missile Family Finally Revealed!

DCP00482%20Advanced%20Cruise%20Missile%20l.jpg

This is a prototype American cruise missile with an externally mounted prop-fan propulsion as well as a solid-fuel booster motor.

And yeah...lets not forget our crazy drunken defence journos who also claimed that Nirbhay will be powered by a propfan !!! I must say they are doing a great job keeping the enemy guessing, given all the confusing and baseless info, most people are dillusioned and fooled.

How long until it gets on production line if it is testing phase is complete ? Or are they still testing it.

* T mode on* :D
Now i am aching to quote all those who said 'sub sonic missile' are useless.
And super/dooper/hyper sonic Brahmos is the 'only' way forward.

How long until it gets on production line if it is testing phase is complete ? Or are they still testing it.

This is a completely new kind of missile so testing will be a long drawn out process. Successive generations of cruise missiles might have shorter test phase due to evolutionary process.

DRDO trials ....some failure.....retrials....success .....certification....user trials ....setting up production factory from scratch....finally production.

..Optimistic guess for production would be after 3 years.

Sub sonic Cruise missiles are the cheapest way to bomb any country.

Well, they don't know how effective Tomahawk etc. have been.

But again, considering the present Interceptor development, supersonic and hypersonic are the way forward.

One has to look at opponents capability too while developing weapons. Why not develop sub-sonic CM if the opposite nation don't have intercept precision of that level.

Also, the cost factor and overwhelming enemy defense also comes into picture. :D

I dont believe anyone said that sub sonic missiles are useless. Undoubtedly though Long range super/hypersonic missiles like BrahMos are much more effective than subsonic ones.

The problem, and the reason why sub-sonic missiles like Nirbhay are being created is simple: Cost

It costs a whopping $2.5million per pop for Brahmos, and that is likely to increase as we develop the hypersonic versions and increase range. It is just too expensive to use in mass quantities. And therefore, they are likely to be used on very high value targets which are either time bound or to penetrate high defense systems that subsonic CM's are weaker against.

A hi-lo combination if you want to call it that.

No doubt about that, given the speed of mach 0.7, it gives enough time to the adversary to deploy several counter measures to neutralize a sub sonic cruise missile. While that's not possible for Brahmos.

...ya right ...like you opinion means something :lol:

What an pompous self important clown :china: ....do you have an relative in India by the name Katju by any chance :lol:?

Are you saying that Indian gov never released any defense related info prematurely? Come on, you know I'm right. What Indian gov, or any gov should do, is to hide their efforts and surprise their adversaries. Defence programs is not meant to cheer people up in forums like this.

Here is what the friends of supercritical defence journo Shiv Aroor thought the missile looks like - :lol:

^^ Made by Anurag Rana

Appreciating them for their efforts but they should have waited for some structural design cues to fall into place from some reputed sources instead of just assuming the design out of thin air.

This could be one hell of land based cruise missile, with maximum controlling surface it can fly real close the contours of the ground and can hover for sometime before hitting the target, thus functioning like a expendable UAV. And given that it resembles Lakshya to some extent, it's production cost will be far cheaper.

Whole point in having a cruise missile is that it avoids Radar detection and SAM. Figure would explain more....

4980-004-FE1BCE2B.jpg

Are you saying that Indian gov never released any defense related info prematurely? Come on, you know I'm right. What Indian gov, or any gov should do, is to hide their efforts and surprise their adversaries. Defence programs is not meant to cheer people up in forums like this.

Indian defense planning and procurement is very open and all the information are available in budget allocation documents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom