Obama says more Iran sanctions coming if talks drag

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Reuters | 2 hours ago
CARTAGENA: US President Barack Obama said there would be more sanctions imposed on Iran if there is no breakthrough in nuclear talks with global powers in the coming months, responding to Israeli accusations that Tehran has been given a “freebie.”

At a news conference in Cartagena, Colombia, where he was attending the Summit of the Americas, Obama said negotiations between Iran and six world powers that resumed on Saturday would not stretch on indefinitely and would require Iran to act.

“We’re going to keep on seeing if we make progress. Now, the clocking is ticking and I’ve been very clear to Iran and to our negotiating partners that we’re not going to have these talks just drag out in a stalling process,” Obama said. “But so far at least we haven’t given away anything.”

Negotiators from Iran and six world powers met on Saturday for the first time in more than a year to discuss concerns about Tehran’s nuclear program, which Iran says is for energy and others fear is meant to build an atomic bomb.

The group, which included the United States and the other four permanent UN Security Council members Britain, France, China and Russia, plus Germany, agreed with Iran to reconvene in Baghdad on May 23.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu voiced irritation that the next talks were in more than a month’s time, saying it was critical that Tehran stop enrichment right away.

“My initial impression is that Iran has been given a freebie. It’s got five weeks to continue enrichment without any limitation, any inhibition,” he said earlier on Sunday.

Over the past year, Israeli and US warnings of military strikes if Iran does not stop working on some aspects of nuclear technology have stoked fear of war, and raised oil prices, in an unsettled Middle East.

Obama, who is up for re-election in November, is unlikely to want to start a military dispute with Iran, especially as he works to withdraw US forces from Afghanistan and in the wake of an unpopular war in Iraq.

At the Colombia news conference, Obama said there was still time for talks to ease tensions surrounding Iran.

“We still have a window in which to resolve this conflict diplomatically. That window is closing and Iran needs to take advantage of it,” he said.

It shows, how desperate they are to mount WAR on Iran. Even Iran is cooperating in every aspect to IAEA, WTF they want more than that? I am big fan of Israel but its not acceptable :no:

May west rot in hell!

Reuters | 2 hours ago
CARTAGENA: US President Barack Obama said there would be more sanctions imposed on Iran if there is no breakthrough in nuclear talks with global powers in the coming months, responding to Israeli accusations that Tehran has been given a “freebie.”

At a news conference in Cartagena, Colombia, where he was attending the Summit of the Americas, Obama said negotiations between Iran and six world powers that resumed on Saturday would not stretch on indefinitely and would require Iran to act.

“We’re going to keep on seeing if we make progress. Now, the clocking is ticking and I’ve been very clear to Iran and to our negotiating partners that we’re not going to have these talks just drag out in a stalling process,” Obama said. “But so far at least we haven’t given away anything.”

Negotiators from Iran and six world powers met on Saturday for the first time in more than a year to discuss concerns about Tehran’s nuclear program, which Iran says is for energy and others fear is meant to build an atomic bomb.

The group, which included the United States and the other four permanent UN Security Council members Britain, France, China and Russia, plus Germany, agreed with Iran to reconvene in Baghdad on May 23.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu voiced irritation that the next talks were in more than a month’s time, saying it was critical that Tehran stop enrichment right away.

“My initial impression is that Iran has been given a freebie. It’s got five weeks to continue enrichment without any limitation, any inhibition,” he said earlier on Sunday.

Over the past year, Israeli and US warnings of military strikes if Iran does not stop working on some aspects of nuclear technology have stoked fear of war, and raised oil prices, in an unsettled Middle East.

Obama, who is up for re-election in November, is unlikely to want to start a military dispute with Iran, especially as he works to withdraw US forces from Afghanistan and in the wake of an unpopular war in Iraq.

At the Colombia news conference, Obama said there was still time for talks to ease tensions surrounding Iran.

“We still have a window in which to resolve this conflict diplomatically. That window is closing and Iran needs to take advantage of it,” he said.

This will make situation worst. I know war is near but USA is rushing with it. I thought they will wait till their Presidential election. Is obama trying to score a point with this war ??? Cause average US citizen hate Iran from long time

responding to Israeli accusations that Tehran has been given a “freebie.”

Damn, Israelis just love war eh? Even under the current economic and political/social (Middle East) circumstances :lol:

I hope for their sake they don't overdo it.

Only a strong stand of Giant nations can stop this coming devastation. Chinese stand should be well appreciated!

china can provide the transport fleet as china has a massive shipbuilding industry(2nd largest in the world in 2011 after south korea, china was largest in 2010.).
china designs and makes all sorts of ships from oil tankers, LNG carriers, chemical tankers, bulk carriers, container ships and car carriers.

once the transport fleet is sorted out, the other problem becomes the shipping insurance for accidents that may happen during the journey.

there were reports of one china ship insurer pulling out of insuring iranian bound ships, but according to this report, it has not been confirmed.
and chinese state owned ship insurers will insure those ships.

Cosco Sees

Only a strong stand of Giant nations can stop this coming devastation. Chinese stand should be well appreciated!
I totallly agree with you on first part of your statement but I begg to differ on second part. China reduces its imports too soon. They should have waited a little longer then war would or still could be avoided. War in not good for any economy in current state

I totallly agree with you on first part of your statement but I begg to differ on second part. China reduces its imports too soon. They should have waited a little longer then war would or still could be avoided. War in not good for any economy in current state

Dude, I had the same opinion but it seems like you have missed the date of news. It has just released, a way after taking decision to lower oil imports. Its a bold move as per my thinking.

And another fact is that US stills dominates the world as we have seen before in case of Afghan, Iraq, Egypt. Iran is cooperating with IAEA and US still mounting a WAR on Iran. Have you gone through last statement by Obama on Iran regarding sanctions?

china can provide the transport fleet as china has a massive shipbuilding industry(2nd largest in the world in 2011 after south korea, china was largest in 2010.).
china designs and makes all sorts of ships from oil tankers, LNG carriers, chemical tankers, bulk carriers, container ships and car carriers.

once the transport fleet is sorted out, the other problem becomes the shipping insurance for accidents that may happen during the journey.

there were reports of one china ship insurer pulling out of insuring iranian bound ships, but according to this report, it has not been confirmed.
and chinese state owned ship insurers will insure those ships.

Cosco Sees

Mate, not only insurance but we need to wait till final deliveries too as we know world diplomatic views and decisions change every time. And it will be good if China can keep her stand.

I think Obama has nothing better to do. In any event sanctions like this have never worked especially when significant large countries like Russia and China can and are ignoring them. On the contrary they make a country stronger by making it self reliant and and more resilient

Dude, I had the same opinion but it seems like you have missed the date of news. It has just released, a way after taking decision to lower oil imports. Its a bold move as per my thinking.

And another fact is that US stills dominates the world as we have seen before in case of Afghan, Iraq, Egypt. Iran is cooperating with IAEA and US still mounting a WAR on Iran. Have you gone through last statement by Obama on Iran regarding sanctions?
So you think China reduces oil imports for no reason. Has China's domestic need reduced ? No they changed supplier. And that was my point actually. If china would have stated a bit longer then it would have been harder for USA to push both India and China. Now it's India so USA will bring us to line in mear time.
If you are thinking providing tankers is bold move..... What can I say ? It's business. There tankers would have been insured. They get rent. So good for them. Sanctions are on oil imports. Not on leasing the tankers. It would have been great move if china used that tanker for themselves to import Iranian oil.
I think you miss my point. Hope it explain what I mean

USA is pushy. Agreed but it would have been lot difficult to Push India China while Russia supporting duo

Who is going to insure them?

read the link i gave in post #9

So you think China reduces oil imports for no reason. Has China's domestic need reduced ? No they changed supplier. And that was my point actually. If china would have stated a bit longer then it would have been harder for USA to push both India and China. Now it's India so USA will bring us to line in mear time.
If you are thinking providing tankers is bold move..... What can I say ? It's business. There tankers would have been insured. They get rent. So good for them. Sanctions are on oil imports. Not on leasing the tankers. It would have been great move if china used that tanker for themselves to import Iranian oil.
I think you miss my point. Hope it explain what I mean

USA is pushy. Agreed but it would have been lot difficult to Push India China while Russia supporting duo

china cut iranian oil only for price negotiations.
china is now importing the same amount of oil.

Back
Top Bottom