What's new

PAF Air Refueling Capability

Can the Il-78 extend all three drogues simultaneously?

We've seen pics of the outboard drogues being extended, or the central probe being extended, but not of all three at once.

Maybe it's got to do with safe separation issues if three aircraft are in close proximity?

Can the Il-78 extend all three drogues simultaneously?

We've seen pics of the outboard drogues being extended, or the central probe being extended, but not of all three at once.

Maybe it's got to do with safe separation issues if three aircraft are in close proximity?

yes it can

you can check out this article for refrence

Aerial Tanker Refueling Aircraft

@nuclearpak

here r the pics too i got

AIR_IL-78_Refuels_SU-30MKIs_Side_lg.jpg

7092167995_0304edd8c3.jpg

IAF-AAR02-1024A-S.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In these pics the drogue is extended, but I want to know whether aircraft are attached.

Because there might be some separation issues that are far too risky if three aircraft are there.

Or maybe the centre drogue line is extended farther than the two outboard ones.

In these pics the drogue is extended, but I want to know whether aircraft are attached.

Because there might be some separation issues that are far too risky if three aircraft are there.

In peace time the risk may be avoided by not refueling 3 aircrafts together as they will be in close proximity of eachother but otherwise it surely can.even the manual for it says that .....the mid drogue is extended more than the others too ...that has to do with the location of all three on the aircraft ...two are located under the wing and the third one is near the tail...so that means the third one is extended behind the other twos for the safety purpose that makes the mid aircraft to refuel without being in danger of collision with the other two

I think this will help you..........these are Russian tankers

IL-78_002.jpg

That clears up my question. The central drogue is extended behind the outboard.

check it out

[video]http://en.rian.ru/video/20130202/179085205/Il-78-Refuels-Su-34-Bomber-in-Mid-Air-Interactive-Report.html[/video]

I think it may be that the refueling hose is the same size but the fact that the 2 lateral ones come out of the wings and the middle one comes out from near the tail might make a difference. Just got the dimensions to prove my point.
Araz

Crew: 6
Length: 46.59 m (152 ft 10 in)
Wingspan: 50.5 m (165 ft 8 in)
Height: 14.76 m (48 ft 5 in)
Wing area: 300 m2 (3,200 sq ft)
Empty weight: 72,000 kg (158,733 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 210,000 kg (462,971 lb)

But there is one thing confusing...why are those two pipes so far back? The drogues are on the outer wings and their is only one on the tail right?

BUt those 2 pipes are much behind the wing.

Maybe they are the connecting pipes to the fuel tank rather than the drogue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom