What's new

Pak woman loses legal fight to stay in India with family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shes staying in Indian from last 30 yrs also mother of 2 children who are officially Indian,,m sure she ll get a sigh of relief soon & she should get it by all means ,,,,
For her paraya desh has bcome apna 30 yrs back,,,,:coffee:

The woman became a naturalised citizen by virtue of her children being Indian citizens

Pakistanis cannot become Indian citizens, and Indians cannot become Pak citizens.. thats actually a law from 1947, call it bad blood from both countries after the partition riots and violence and what not....

The only exceptions India makes are for troubled communities in danger in Pakistan, like the Pak Hindus and Sikhs, but even for them its a big hassle to get it...

I don't really know the ground realities but this sounds like a really sad story.

Very sad case.
I hope she is allowed to stay on compassionate grounds.

It makes no sense to separate the family now after 30 years.

Pakistan has the same law with respect to Indians...

about four years back we were tracking similar story of an Indian woman who got married to a Pakistani from Mardan both doctors. The family of the Pakistani boy stood behind her and after long court proceeding she was granted Pakistani citizenship and allowed to live here.

Give me a source for that news. Or are you just into your usual habit of doing equal equal with India by fabricating fantasies, whenever there is a big egg on your face?

Hafsa (Divya Dayanandan from Kerala, India) gets Pakistani citizenship

By B. Muralidhar Reddy

ISLAMABAD, SEPT. 24. Pakistan today granted citizenship to an Indian woman doctor married to a Pakistani.

Amman Khan, a Pakistani national and Dr. Hafsa fell in love in 1995 while studying medicine in Ukraine. They got married on July 16, 2003 in Karachi, after she embraced Islam. On August 3 last, she gave birth to a baby boy.

Dr. Hafsa, earlier known as Divya Dayanandan from Kerala, was ordered to leave Pakistan after the Government refused to extend her visa.

Mr. Aman Khan moved the Peshawar High Court seeking a stay against the deportation of his wife. The court granted stay for two months until September 19. The Interior Ministry also extended the stay permit for two months.

The Hindu : International / India & World : Hafsa gets Pakistani citizenship

Here is a little history

'I fear for my daughter's life in Pakistan'

The hopes of an Indian doctor, who fell in love with a Pakistani and married him, now hinge on a little baby boy she delivered on August 3.

Dr Divya Dayanandan hopes the Pakistan government will grant her citizenship because she has given birth to her first child in Pakistan.

Divya, who hails from Kerala's Kayamkulam town, is the only daughter of Dayanandan and Vasantha. She fell in love with her classmate Aman Khan when they were studying medicine at the Lovo Medical School in Ukraine.

Khan abandoned his studies midway and returned to Pakistan, but their love grew over telephone calls.

Soon after getting her degree, Divya headed to Pakistan and married Khan in August 2003. She changed her name to Hafsa and converted to Islam and settled down with Khan in Mardan in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province.

But marital bliss didn't last too long. Divya's application for Pakistani citizenship was rejected by the interior ministry and she was ordered to leave the country.

Khan challenged the order in the high court in the northwestern city of Peshawar and secured a stay. The case is expected to come up for hearing in coming weeks.

But their troubles are not restricted to an insensitive interior ministry. The couple also fear attacks from religious extremists given the state of Indo-Pak relations.

NWFP is one the most conservative provinces in Pakistan.

'I am deeply concerned why the Pakistan government has not granted citizenship to my wife even though it was granted routinely in the past. The law says the spouse of a Pakistani citizen is entitled to citizenship. Now I am told that living in Pakistan is very dangerous since I married a Hindu girl,' newspapers have quoted Khan as saying.

Back in India, Divya's mother is worried.

"I pray every day so that my daughter and her child come to Kerala with her husband. This is a better place to settle down for my daughter and son-in-law," Vasantha Dayanandan told rediff.com

Vasantha says her daughter went to Pakistan to get married without informing her family because she feared reprisals by Hindu fundamentalists in India.

"I am now eager to see my grandson. I talk to my daughter over the telephone often. I am sure nobody here [in India] will have any problems because my daughter married a Pakistani. I fear for her life if she stays in Pakistan," Vasantha said.

Vasantha has sent a request to External Affairs Minister K Natwar Singh to take up her daughter's plight with the Pakistani government.

She has also approached local MP C S Sujatha, requesting her to meet Singh. "I wish my daughter returns and settles down here. I plead with her every day," says Vasantha.

And here are they happily married

newsbag_aman_hafsa_20040726.jpg

Lawl. Indians are plain pathetic.

lol. I gotta say. The woman deserve her treatment. We in Pakistan don't want her.

well thats unfair. she married an Indian and almost every country do grant visa and stay for spouses. This is funny that after 30 long years India is expelling her

That's horrible. After 30 years? There are many pakistani women living in Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and Rajasthan. Are they gonna deport them too? :rolleyes:

well thats unfair. she married an Indian and almost every country do grant visa and stay for spouses. This is funny that after 30 long years India is expelling her

Hindu will of course treat her this way.

Mashalla, she understand now. :rofl:

about four years back we were tracking similar story of an Indian woman who got married to a Pakistani from Mardan both doctors. The family of the Pakistani boy stood behind her and after long court proceeding she was granted Pakistani citizenship and allowed to live here.

I am sure that is the exception, rather than the norm.... thats the only reason it made the news... yes occasionally these rules might be twisted in both countries for extenuating/special circumstances.... but usually both countries have citizenship laws which are next to impossible to crack for the other nation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom