What's new

Pakistan among top countries for offshore outsourcing: Gartner

So you're claiming Pakistan paid Gartner to publish this report? What childish views :disagree:

As the Indian IT professionals demand higher salaries, the momentum is definitley shifting towards Pakistan. We have pretty much the same things to offer as India in terms of the IT industry. English speakers, large labor force, government tax incentives etc.

Solid Snake,

Either you are not aware of the clouts of Gartner and Forrester and how IT and ITeS industry works...or you have a very negative approach to a suggestion made by a poster who has an Indian flag.

Gartner's Visit to place Pakistan on the IT Roadmap
08 Nov, 2007
PSEB Representative
Pakistan Software Export Board (PSEB) signed a contract with Gartner Inc. the world’s leading information technology research and advisory company to conduct a study on the Pakistan IT Industry. The contract was signed at 10:00 a.m. on May 14th 2007 at PSEB Head office Islamabad in the presence of Secretary IT, MD PSEB President PASHA and VP Gartner Consulting. Dr. Tony Murphy, Vice President, Gartner Consulting arrived in Islamabad on 13th May, to deliver the technology related insight needed to boost the IT Industry in Pakistan. He will be in Pakistan from May 14th to 19th 2007, to undertake a review and study of the existing conditions of the Pakistani IT sector with particular emphasis on the software and IT services sector. The study will also develop a practical strategic blueprint for the sector to achieve a step-change improvement in the performance of the IT Industry.

Dr. Tony Murphy would act as Engagement Manager and Chief Author for this study. His recent book ‘Achieving Value from Technology: A Practical Guide for Today’s Executive’ (Wiley/Gartner Press) has become an international best seller and is becoming standard practice for many organisations world-wide. His new book ‘Succeeding in the Knowledge Economy’ lays heavy focus on developing a national ICT sector and also investigates why some regions have succeeded in the Knowledge Economy and others have lagged. He assisted a number of software companies in the Gulf region in their product planning, marketing and corporate development strategies.

“We are extremely happy with this success in bringing the world’s leading IT research company to Pakistan. Specifically the caliber of the lead researcher, Dr. Tony Murphy, Vice President, Gartner Consulting is very strong. He is the author of two highly regarded and highly referenced books on the role of technology in development” said Mr. Yusuf Hussain, Managing Director, PSEB, on the occasion.

During the signing of the agreement, Mr. Farrukh Qayyum, Secretary, Ministry of IT said “This is a very important moment in PSEB and IT Industry’s journey to progress. We hope Gartner will give us a lot of value and leverage our hopes and strengths.”

“Technology based businesses will be the key to national success in the coming years. Pakistan has ambitious plans in this regard and Gartner is pleased to assist the country achieve its objectives” stated Dr. Murphy.

“The Pakistan IT industry is the most dynamic and vibrant sector in the region. With year-on-year growth of 50%, the IT sector is booming in Pakistan. The launch of the study by Gartner will go a long way in creating awareness of this exciting industry in Pakistan.” Mr. Ashraf Kapadia, President PASHA, said on the occasion.

Pakistan Software Export Board

Once you have read the article above you will understand that for any IT industry a positive approval from these research consultants go a long way in helping outsourcers take their decisions...not only in Pakistan but all over the world.

A study by these research consultants does not mean that they are paid for publishing a positive report.(Though there are claims of such instances since these are big bucks play).
The IT company I work (PerotSystems) for has Gartner and forrestor both coming to our Indian facilities along with Global facilities for their research. I myself have to show them around the infrastructure and BCM models for my vertical.

Now read my suggestion again and you would see what i meant. Just to remind you during the indo pak face off, gartner still published a positive report and emphasised on sound BCM (Business Contiunity Models) that existed in India.

Now Think again, If Gartner and Forrestor has both positive study on IT industry in pakistan along with BCM in face of plotical instability...would it not be good for your Industry.

As the Indian IT professionals demand higher salaries, the momentum is definitley shifting towards Pakistan. We have pretty much the same things to offer as India in terms of the IT industry. English speakers, large labor force, government tax incentives etc.

You are correct that there are issues of higher salaries, and this has led the existing and new setups to move to tier 2 and tier 3 cities even in India.
My own Organization has new facilities coming up in tier 2 and tier 3 cities.

Thanks for reading my "Childish Views" ...:disagree:

Hi,

That was a low blow IND----did the guy mention---pakistanis have better accents than their indian counterparts.:smitten:

MK, generally I like your posts.

I am not sure you are talking in jest here or not. If yes, any facts to back it up other than the famous Musharraf speech.

It doesn't appear so at least if one looks at your cricket captains making the post match speech. ;)

"The boys played well....". :chilli::flame:

Anyway my personal feeling is that a few Pakistanis speak and write excellent English, but overall the standard is much better in India. Even the general standard of English writing on this forum will confirm that. Though I agree it may not be representative.

I met some Pakistanis in Chandigarh who came for the Mohali match a couple of years back. They were surprised to see the local kids speaking Engllish so well and confirmed that back home standards are not as good.

Thanks for reading my "Childish Views" ...:disagree:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post. I did not know the Pakistan government had signed a contract with them to conduct a study, I thought Gartner did it on their own. I apologize.

Anyway my personal feeling is that a few Pakistanis speak and write excellent English, but overall the standard is much better in India. Even the general standard of English writing on this forum will confirm that. Though I agree it may not be representative.

I met some Pakistanis in Chandigarh who came for the Mohali match a couple of years back. They were surprised to see the local kids speaking Engllish so well and confirmed that back home standards are not as good.

Who said that speaking English makes you better than the other, the only reason 'more' people speak English in India is that you people have so many languages and that you need one language to communicate nation wide, now don't come up with the ' everyone speaks hindi' comment not everyone does, I live in Qatar and the largest population you have is of Indians, and my whole family has been to India, in fact my ancestors are from India, Mehrat and Delhi. Its like this, the Arabs, all of them have the same language, thats why they don't have any issues communicating, similarly you people have English,.

In Pakistan, we're not so diverse, every single Pakistani knows how to speak Urdu, EVERYONE, and we're proud of it, hence we don't take English so seriously. Yes I agree, that because of globalization everything we have now is related to English, so one must know how to speak it, and as far as I know, the people of Pakistan can handle themselves in situation like these.

:pakistan:

don't care for the way he put it but i do also hope those madrassahs are shut down they really do nothing but problems for us !.

tell me please brother, what problems did these 'madarsass' create for you?

Who said that speaking English makes you better than the other, the only reason 'more' people speak English in India is that you people have so many languages and that you need one language to communicate nation wide, now don't come up with the ' everyone speaks hindi' comment not everyone does, I live in Qatar and the largest population you have is of Indians, and my whole family has been to India, in fact my ancestors are from India, Mehrat and Delhi. Its like this, the Arabs, all of them have the same language, thats why they don't have any issues communicating, similarly you people have English,.

In Pakistan, we're not so diverse, every single Pakistani knows how to speak Urdu, EVERYONE, and we're proud of it, hence we don't take English so seriously. Yes I agree, that because of globalization everything we have now is related to English, so one must know how to speak it, and as far as I know, the people of Pakistan can handle themselves in situation like these.

:pakistan:

I was just replying to the post about Pakistani speaking better English than Indians. I guess even your president Musharraf claimed that in the USA, no less!

I for one don't consider knowing the language as a badge of honor or something. It makes things easier in my own country, in my workplace and when I travel abroad. But then I agree with you that its just because it is a global language not because it is a superior language.

So please, its not about me claiming that Indians are any superior because of the knowledge of English, its actually the other way round. And without any facts AFAIK.

It would be better if you dont put up comments like that again. You dont freaking know anything about madarsas so its better you shut up and dont talk about them! i myself am a madarsa graduate and theres no one here who it better than me, we were never taught anything about terrorism, and this is only propagated by the western and indian media to damage the image of Islam.

I would like to ask the administrators to look into these kind of posts.

thank you

It you would be intresting for you to counter with facts on how madrassas have contributed to Pakistani society and its IT industry rather than showing intolerant attitude saying "shutup" to someone in a discussion forum :disagree:.

It would be better if you dont put up comments like that again. You dont freaking know anything about madarsas so its better you shut up and dont talk about them! i myself am a madarsa graduate and theres no one here who it better than me, we were never taught anything about terrorism, and this is only propagated by the western and indian media to damage the image of Islam.

I would like to ask the administrators to look into these kind of posts.

thank you

Spartan, no offence meant, but many Pakistanis also complain about what is taught at least in some of these Madarasas. These include Pakistan president Musharraf and Benajir Bhutto. He has claimed many times that he wants to reform these Madarasas.

May be they are a minority, but to deny them totally would be living in denial. Taliban is widely believed to be a product of such Madarasas. Am I wrong here?

You also have the case of the Lal Masjid and the Hafza brigade.

It you would be intresting for you to counter with facts on how madrassas have contributed to Pakistani society and its IT industry rather than showing intolerant attitude saying "shutup" to someone in a discussion forum :disagree:.

One doesn't need to go to Madrassa to become an IT graduate, we've a modernised and integrated educational system for technical studies with a growing percentage of enrolement.

Stick to the topic and save the BS for some Indian Board.

Pakistan IT exports to touch $11 billion mark by 2011

ISLAMABAD (January 06 2008): The IT industry of Pakistan with low telecommunication cost, 100 percent ownership of equity and repatriation of the foreign investors profits as well as tax exemption until 2016, has the potential to increase exports from $1.4 to $11 billion by 2011, Business Recorder learnt.

As a result of the government incentive-oriented policy, Pakistan is now emerging as a major player in the global IT market. These initiatives include 100 percent ownership of equity to foreign investors with the incentive to repatriate profits and tax exemption to it companies until 2016. With the overall $2.8 billion IT industry including annual export of about $1.4 billion, Pakistan attracting investment which is likely to touch over $11 billion by 2011.

IT exports in FY 2005-2006, as reported by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), were $72.210 million, thus exceeding the target of $72 million. This represents an annual increase of 56 percent as compare to the exports of $46.355 million in FY 2004-2005.

There are about 700 active IT companies in Islamabad, Karachi and Lahore. Other cities are being surveyed, and it is expected that there are around 50 IT companies in other smaller cities and towns. Growth in Islamabad, over the last three years, has been around 300 per cent, Karachi around 180 percent and in Lahore it is around 150 per cent.

The global community has placed Pakistan in the 'First Category' countries in 2007. Previously, in 2006 Pakistan was placed in the 'Third Category' countries. Moreover, Pakistan's IT revenue had grown to 59 percent in 2006. Similarly, new IT parks in major cities are being set up across the country while 750,000 square feet of space has already been leased out to IT companies for new parks.

There are many Pakistani IT companies that have developed world class software's in areas such as car leasing, enterprise application integration, mortgage lien processing, stock market order management, mobile convergence, data and web content management for some of the top most corporations of the world.

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

This is one sector that is not hit by fuel crisis and recorded more than 50% growth per annum for last five years.

I'm sure we can achieve the export target by 2011. :pakistan:

Back
Top Bottom