What's new

Pakistan is Developing Indigenous Long Range BVRAAM.

Already discussed in details in the previous thread about GIDS roadmap.

But what about Faaz-2?
is a further development of what they aim to learn from this.

But remember, alot of these gids road to future projects are concepts looking for funding both locally and abroad, alongside this, they also seem to be a way for GIDS to present itself as a big player by showing off these big ticket items which in reality are a ways away from ever being realised.

Faaz RF and IR are learning efforts and nothing more. The biggest clue aside from the midsection is in FAAZ IR which is just a Faaz RF with an IR seeker. If this was a serious local development effort instead of a learning exercise, we would have actually seen an optimised IR SRAAM, instead, likely what they wanted to do was just show others that yo look what were doing and drum up hype around the company

Pakistan defense industry is developing an extended range BVRAAM. The FAAZ-II AAM will have an active seeker and a stated range of 180km. If this project is successful, it will revolutionize the capabilities of existing aircraft in PAF service. The GIDS has earlier presented FAAZ and FAAZ IR versions for sale in Turkiye. Both of these AAMs have BVR capabilities.

View attachment 966068
If allowed by "Amreeka bahadur".
If they start using indigenous weapons, how will the ministry of defense officials and military top brass , get their foreign tours?

is a further development of what they aim to learn from this.

But remember, alot of these gids road to future projects are concepts looking for funding both locally and abroad, alongside this, they also seem to be a way for GIDS to present itself as a big player by showing off these big ticket items which in reality are a ways away from ever being realised.

Faaz RF and IR are learning efforts and nothing more. The biggest clue aside from the midsection is in FAAZ IR which is just a Faaz RF with an IR seeker. If this was a serious local development effort instead of a learning exercise, we would have actually seen an optimised IR SRAAM, instead, likely what they wanted to do was just show others that yo look what were doing and drum up hype around the company
Well, what’s interesting is on their road to future page they call all these products as being ready in the near future. Also interesting is that they added Faaz-2 later while they have taken the group 5 UAV out.

Here is the quote:

“Below are few of the technologies and products which are currently under development phase and will soon become part of our portfolio:”

Also Faaz IIR doesn’t seem to be a WVR missile effort but rather something like R27 or MICA IIR. Just a different mode of terminal guidance in complex EW environment.

Last edited:
Don't think so, it offers no technological break through compared to what we already field, PL-15E, PL-10E.

I guess if it's a ramjet powered BVR then it can be analogous to the Meteor in a way

(Although ofc, IP rights and getting in-house development experience in is very important)

Masha-Allah Pakistan has the capability to produce an air-launched missile with a stated range of 180km. That is impressive enough.

Last edited:
Also Faaz IIR doesn’t seem to be a WVR missile effort but rather something like R27 or MICA IIR. Just a different mode of terminal guidance in complex EW environment.
i made a long post about this in the gids rtf thread and explained why this is unlikely.

Well, what’s interesting is on their road to future page they call all these products as being ready in the near future. Also interesting is that they added Faaz-2 later while they have taken the group 5 UAV out.
well, put it this way, if on the road to future page, they swapped "ready in the near future" for, "will be ready whenever someone gives us the funding and knowledge to complete the program", how would that go down?

Masha-Allah Pakistan has the capability to produce a missile with a stated range of 180km. That is impressive enough.
Definitely. (Just for clarification my message wasn't intended to put down Pakistan's developments, it's just we already field some of the latest Chinese tech which is top class already, hard to surpass it in a significant capacity)

i made a long post about this in the gids rtf thread and explained why this is unlikely.
Will check that.
well, put it this way, if on the road to future page, they swapped "ready in the near future" for, "will be ready whenever someone gives us the funding and knowledge to complete the program", how would that go down?
True but they seem to have recently claimed to be getting ready to test Shahpar 3 in a recent report. I will share if I find the link. So that’s one program that seems to be on-going.

We also know the radar programs are active. So at least some or many projects listed are being actively pursued.

Edit: here is the link:

Last edited:
Guys, the key here is the ability to indigenously manufacture BVRAAMs. During hostilities, BVRs get spent very quickly. Having the ability to replenish such a critical ammunition is absolutely necessary.

Pakistan has been quietly building up its conventional punch and the ability to locally manufacture area denial weapons. Examples: Harbah ASM, Fatah GMRLS, Raad cruise missiles, BVRs and SAMs. Some of these systems are in the pipeline, including a GMRLS system able to engage targets 250km away.

Lot's of lessons from the war in Ukraine are being incorporated into the strategic planning mix for future systems.

Not need to get excited. It will turn out to be a licensed production of SD-10. That much we should know by now if history is our guide

Pakistan does not have that kind of mature industry when China is building them for far less

no economic sense or any military sense

basically its copy of Chinese BVR

Will check that.
True but they seem to have recently claimed to be getting ready to test Shahpar 3 in a recent report. I will share if I find the link. So that’s one program that seems to be on-going.

We also know the radar programs are active. So at least some or many projects listed are being actively pursued.

Edit: here is the link:

shahpar 3 is a different exercise and a relatively simpler one.

Radar program is also a totally different game- im very familiar with it, while it was known to many, the extent of it wasnt known which is something i discussed in my article here https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/...an-moves-ahead-with-domestic-aesa-radar-deve/

And how do you know that it a development of SD 10??
you can read the posts on the previous thread.

Back
Top Bottom