What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

During a recent exercise, for the first time in history, Pakistan Navy's Tughril class frigate PNS Tippu Sultan engaged multiple simulated aerial targets using its Vertical Launch System (VLS).
1690455701113.png

Finally the much advanced & larger Type-054B Frigate for Chinese Navy officially launched at Hudong–Zhonghua Shipyard Shanghai on 26th Aug 2023..
The 2000 ton additional displacement & array of advanced radars/systems makes it a Light Destroyer in every sense.

PLAN has moved towards advanced heavier 6,000Ton Type-054B.-

-30mm H/PJ-11 placed ahead of bridge ala Type 055
-Heavier dimensions Length 147m x beam 18m
-Major structure changes
-32 Cell VLS
-New double-sided rotating AESA on main mast
-Z-20 ASW

Honestly, i think this sized ship should have 48-64 VLS cells. 32 is too few. Not really sure outside of better sensors and range, how 054B brings much different to the game weapons wise vs 054A

Honestly, i think this sized ship should have 48-64 VLS cells. 32 is too few. Not really sure outside of better sensors and range, how 054B brings much different to the game weapons wise vs 054A

I think its not confirmed yet that 054B VLS will carry same HQ-16s. Perhaps it could carry more versatile array of missiles / with possibly more ranges etc ?

But nevertheless, 054B has solid improvements, the Radar looks massive and so the situational awareness must be great, The ship also carries H-Q10 point defense system. I really wished, PN could have got those in the Tughrils too. These are fire and forget missiles kind of american rolling airframe missiles.

One of another important aspects in much larger helipad. That means powerful chinese anti-sub helicopters can be used.

I think China has well planned these ships for its future needs. Chinese future ambitions are clearly blue water operations in deep ocean / far away from its home. They need bigger ships with much more endurance and range while hosting heavier helis. The ship could be more stealthly than 54A as well. As far as noise and anti-sub capabilities are concerned, those are unknown at the moment but I am sure significant advancement would have done on this specific area as these ship will accompany carrier fleets and their primary role is anti-sub in the chinese carrier fleet.

To me it looks, they intentionally has kept the no of missiles limited as they have other destroyers for the same purpose. It also helps in keeping the cost low. China obviously is looking to mass produce these. So they didn't wanted over priced ship as its going to be produced in numbers.

I think its not confirmed yet that 054B VLS will carry same HQ-16s. Perhaps it could carry more versatile array of missiles / with possibly more ranges etc ?

But nevertheless, 054B has solid improvements, the Radar looks massive and so the situational awareness must be great, The ship also carries H-Q10 point defense system. I really wished, PN could have got those in the Tughrils too. These are fire and forget missiles kind of american rolling airframe missiles.

One of another important aspects in much larger helipad. That means powerful chinese anti-sub helicopters can be used.

I think China has well planned these ships for its future needs. Chinese future ambitions are clearly blue water operations in deep ocean / far away from its home. They need bigger ships with much more endurance and range while hosting heavier helis. The ship could be more stealthly than 54A as well. As far as noise and anti-sub capabilities are concerned, those are unknown at the moment but I am sure significant advancement would have done on this specific area as these ship will accompany carrier fleets and their primary role is anti-sub in the chinese carrier fleet.

To me it looks, they intentionally has kept the no of missiles limited as they have other destroyers for the same purpose. It also helps in keeping the cost low. China obviously is looking to mass produce these. So they didn't wanted over priced ship as its going to be produced in numbers.
they dont have hq16 the illuminators are gone

they dont have hq16 the illuminators are gone
They have a new FC-radar fit for the 160KM range HQ16F,and even you can say that the whole ship is designed for the new HQ16F missile as a lowcal cost FFG .

Last edited:
1693573423513.png

The induction ceremony of two newly constructed Type 054 A/P Frigates PNS Shahjahan and Tippu Sultan was held at Karachi on July 20, 2023.

Back
Top Bottom