What's new

Pakistan rejects NATO 'regrets' and 'Self Defence' Claims

The DG ISPR has provided the 'established facts' from the Pakistani side in his official statements.

1. Location of the posts communicated to ISAF several times
2. No fire from Pakistani post - most soldiers were asleep - corroborated by UK media interviews of soldiers wounded in the attack.
3. Pakistan not contacted regarding any NATO concerns about 'taking fire' from Pakistani positions, despite channels specifically created for this purpose.
4. NATO continued attacking Pakistani positions for over an hour after Pakistan contacted NATO through established lines of communication to halt attacks.
5. No NATO reports of casualties from alleged 'fire from Pakistani posts', nor any evidence supporting claims of 'fire from Pakistani posts'.

What are the chances that ISPR will being backtracking on some of these points, slowly, once more facts are known? ;)

What are the chances that ISPR will being backtracking on some of these points, slowly, once more facts are known? ;)
Why should they backtrack?

The inconsistent and unsupported arguments are the ones coming out of NATO and Afghan officials in the media.

Is NATO going to miraculously sustain 'casualties resulting from alleged fire from Pakistani positions' days after the incident?

What ISPR is saying doesnot worth a penny in his eyes. To him the source is only NATO/ ISAF.
I am actually wondering what is taking NATO and others too long to sort this problem out.

What ISPR is saying doesnot worth a penny in his eyes. To him the source is only NATO/ ISAF.
I am actually wondering what is taking NATO and others too long to sort this problem out.

He is defending his country. Makes sense I guess.

Saturday's attack by NATO fighter jets and helicopters on two Pakistani military outposts on the Afghan border lasted more than an hour, also targeted army personnel sent to the bases as backup, and continued after Pakistani commanders contacted NATO to demand that the assault stop, Pakistani and Western officials said.

A Western official said the sustained nature of NATO's attack, despite Pakistan's calls for it to stop, was especially troubling because it showed how far both sides are from their goal of cooperating in a terrain where the borders are vague and insurgents move freely in the jagged, barren mountains and dry valleys.

"The mechanisms that were supposed to prevent that kind of tragedy broke down," the Western official said. And even three days after the attack, the incident remains shrouded in confusion and contradiction.

Pakistanis in Islamabad on Monday shouted slogans against a NATO strike on Pakistan troops. The protestors called on Islamabad to break off its alliance with the U.S. and get out of the war on al Qaeda.

Western and Afghan officials say Afghan commandos and U.S. Special Operations Forces came under fire first from the military outposts, prompting the air response. But Pakistan army spokesman Gen. Athar Abbas on Monday reiterated Pakistan's claims that there were no shots fired from two posts that are situated just 330 yards behind a mountain ridge that divides the eastern Afghan provinces of Nangarhar and Kunar from Pakistan's Mohmand tribal region.

Gen. Abbas said the resulting attack, carried out by North Atlantic Treaty Organization helicopters and fighter jets, lasted "more than an hour." He added that Pakistani commanders contacted NATO to get the attack stopped but it continued, including bombing of army personnel who were being sent up to the posts as backup.

Pakistan doesn't believe NATO troops could have mistaken the posts—well-established forward positions code-named "Volcano" and "Golden," each home to 25 troops—as Taliban militant bases, Gen. Abbas said.

"We're not saying this is a deliberate attack. But we're not ruling out any possibilities," he said.

NATO Attack Widens Chasm With Pakistan - WSJ.com

Why should they backtrack?

The inconsistent and unsupported arguments are the ones coming out of NATO and Afghan officials in the media.

Is NATO going to miraculously sustain 'casualties resulting from alleged fire from Pakistani positions' days after the incident?

I just wanted you on record; I think it is likely that ISPR will slowly backtrack from several of these statements, slowly and gradually, once more facts are known.

I just wanted you on record; I think it is likely that ISPR will slowly backtrack from several of these statements, slowly and gradually, once more facts are known.
The WSJ excerpt in the post above would appear to indicate a 'backtracking' by the 'Anonymous NATO officials, not ISPR.

The other likely suspects the be the Russians. Maybe not in this particular incident but through the world of espionage, confusion, misinformation and covert operations Why? Well its payback time for what Pakistan and USA did to them back in the 80s. it might seem far fetched and I agree specially in this incident but in the overall Afghan Pakistan crises the Russians might be playing their own game.

An interesting observation.

Actually to Russia its two birds in a single stone. 'Revenge' , if that's the word used, from Pakistan and a pointless,money sucking,shooting in the foot expedition from America.

Also another incentive for the Russians is this incident will logically lead the Pakistanis to close down the routes, making the NATO even more dependent on the NDN which Russia will use it to it's own leverage.

Pakistan doesn't believe NATO troops could have mistaken the posts—well-established forward positions code-named "Volcano" and "Golden," each home to 25 troops—as Taliban militant bases, Gen. Abbas said.

"We're not saying this is a deliberate attack. But we're not ruling out any possibilities," he said.[/B][/I]

It has already started. The case will closed as an unfortunate case of blue on blue.

The WSJ excerpt in the post above would appear to indicate a 'backtracking' by the 'Anonymous NATO officials, not ISPR.

Like I have said, let's wait a few days for a better understanding of what happened and where to go next.

Dear Forum Members, our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the families of the Pakistani security forces killed in this tragic incident. Before we can comment any further, we would like to inform everyone that representatives from ISAF and CENTCOM will conduct an extensive investigation. ISAF Commander General John Allen has declared that, “This incident has my highest personal attention and my commitment to thoroughly investigate it to determine the facts.” There are many news reports releasing different analysis and accounts of this incident, but we ask that you wait for the investigation to be completed, and for the evidence and findings to be released, before drawing any conclusions.

MAJ Nevers,
DET – U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command

Saturday's attack by NATO fighter jets and helicopters on two Pakistani military outposts on the Afghan border lasted more than an hour, also targeted army personnel sent to the bases as backup, and continued after Pakistani commanders contacted NATO to demand that the assault stop, Pakistani and Western officials said.

I have a feeling we will see Terrorist attacks in Pakistan as this was used to Give cover for them to enter Pakistan.

Exactly. NATO was not happy to see the peace we have in Pakistan these days so they sent terrorists to Pakistan to cause more suicide attacks and bombings.

You will see an increase in terrorist activity next month as NATO wants Pakistanis to cool their anger after this murder.

Dear Forum Members, our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the families of the Pakistani security forces killed in this tragic incident. Before we can comment any further, we would like to inform everyone that representatives from ISAF and CENTCOM will conduct an extensive investigation. ISAF Commander General John Allen has declared that, “This incident has my highest personal attention and my commitment to thoroughly investigate it to determine the facts.” There are many news reports releasing different analysis and accounts of this incident, but we ask that you wait for the investigation to be completed, and for the evidence and findings to be released, before drawing any conclusions.

MAJ Nevers,
DET – U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
we dont need your condolences ... we dont need your investigations , we are fed up of your double standard and lies
the fact is our soldiers died in this attack and we want severe action against the authorities responsible for this act with immediate effect

I have a feeling we will see Terrorist attacks in Pakistan as this was used to Give cover for them to enter Pakistan.

When this attack happened that is exactly what I had been thinking, as Pakistani Forces have successfully repelled attack after attack by the terrorists and in some reports coming from Pakistan of the US soldiers on the ground assisting these terrorists in these attacks.........

This could also be in response to the removal of Hussain Haqqani also............. but makes little sense as this is not reversible, hence the first suspicion is more realistic

Back
Top Bottom