What's new

Pakistan to get Chinese AEW&C aircraft this year

sonicboom

Reaction score

By Leithen Francis

Pakistan has received its second Erieye radar-equipped Saab 2000, and will also accept its first Shaanxi ZDK-03 airborne early warning and control system aircraft before year-end.

Islamabad has four ZDK-03s on order, with deliveries due to start later this year, say air force sources. The type is a new variant of the Shaanxi Y8 AEW&C aircraft designed specifically for Pakistan.

The Chinese aircraft is powered by four turboprop engines and has a greater range than offered by the Saab Microwave Systems Erieye, the sources say.

The air force recently received its second Saab 2000 surveillance aircraft, and anticipates that it will receive its remaining two in the second and third quarters of this year.

Pakistan's move to source AEW&C aircraft from both China and the West is indicative of its strategy to refrain from being overly reliant on any one ally. The USA imposed military sanctions against Pakistan from 1990 to 2005 in response to its testing nuclear weapons.

The air force's current fleet includes Lockheed Martin F-16s, Dassault Mirage III and 5 fighters, Chengdu F-7s and JF-17s; a new type developed jointly by China and Pakistan.

In terms of military transports, Pakistan flies Lockheed C-130s, but also operates Ilyushin Il-78 tankers.

I,ve always wondered why the number of such aircrafts have been 4, our airforce has 3 air commands if they give one aircraft each of these air commands they'll have a reserve of one aircraft, this is not understandable, in a conflict situation if an aircommand loses an aircraft it could be supplemented by the surplus aircraft, but what if 2 aircommands suffer the loss of the same type of aircrafts?

in such ascenario we'll be short of such aircrafts and to the best of my knowledge PAFs current inventory of fighter aircrafts cannot be linked to both types simultaneously, some will be linked to saab and some to ZDK03, what will happen if above mentioned situation arises?

in my opinion the number should be 6 aircrafts of each type that would bring 1 active duty aircraft and 1 reserve aircraft for each air command, what do guys think?

I,ve always wondered why the number of such aircrafts have been 4, our airforce has 3 air commands if they give one aircraft each of these air commands they'll have a reserve of one aircraft, this is not understandable, in a conflict situation if an aircommand loses an aircraft it could be supplemented by the surplus aircraft, but what if 2 aircommands suffer the loss of the same type of aircrafts?

in such ascenario we'll be short of such aircrafts and to the best of my knowledge PAFs current inventory of fighter aircrafts cannot be linked to both types simultaneously, some will be linked to saab and some to ZDK03, what will happen if above mentioned situation arises?

in my opinion the number should be 6 aircrafts of each type that would bring 1 active duty aircraft and 1 reserve aircraft for each air command, what do guys think?

great idea if one can implement it but for that we will require money which we don't have... already too much problems for economy... i think 8 plus 3 for navy mean total of 11 awacs are enough for us. :pdf:

It would be nice if we could mount the AWAC to the Il-78 aircraft. How does the aircraft compare with the Il-78 in performance?

China has some programs on the line. Perhaps someday Y-20 with AWACS platform be in PAF colors its a long road down.

I,ve always wondered why the number of such aircrafts have been 4, our airforce has 3 air commands if they give one aircraft each to these air commands PAF'll have a reserve of one aircraft, this is not understandable, in a conflict situation if an aircommand loses an aircraft it could be supplemented by the surplus aircraft, but what if 2 aircommands suffer the loss of the same type of aircrafts?

One question guyz is that the total no of AEWACS will get to 8 by this year only ?
If true it'll be just great !

This is because airforce does not have a genius like.....they should have askedd you what to do and what not to do...:azn:

One question guyz is that the total no of AEWACS will get to 8 by this year only ?
If true it'll be just great !

5 would be the total figure by the year end, 4 Erieyes and 1 Chinese.

I believe the Chinese total 4 will be completed by 2012 or may be by end of 2011. But 2012 is the likely date.

5 would be the total figure by the year end, 4 Erieyes and 1 Chinese.

I believe the Chinese total 4 will be completed by 2012 or may be by end of 2011. But 2012 is the likely date.

Thanks for the reply sir, much appreciated !
But why aren't we going for KJ-2000 AEWACS which is much more advanced to what we are getting, i maybe wrong but thats what I have heard on this forum P.S iam new to this field as well, but learning quickly!

Pakistan to get Chinese Shaanxi ZDK-03 AEW&C aircraft this year
May 7, 2010

Pakistan has received its second Erieye radar-equipped Saab 2000, and will also accept its first Shaanxi ZDK-03 airborne early warning and control system aircraft before year-end.

Islamabad has four ZDK-03s on order by Musharraf’s previous government, with deliveries due to start later this year, say air force sources. The type is a new variant of the Shaanxi Y8 AEW&C aircraft designed specifically for Pakistan.

The Chinese aircraft is powered by four turboprop engines and has a greater range than offered by the Saab Microwave Systems Erieye, the sources say.

The air force recently received its second Saab 2000 surveillance aircraft, and anticipates that it will receive its remaining two in the second and third quarters of this year.

http://www.daily.pk/pakistan-to-get-chinese-aewc-aircraft-this-year-17167/

It would be nice if we could mount the AWAC to the Il-78 aircraft. How does the aircraft compare with the Il-78 in performance?

Webbie IL-78 will create a technical nightmare , these air crafts are like C-130 and i think the reason they are being picked is that they must fit the bill , must do the job and easy to maintain.

This awacs is based on YF-8-F600 platform.

Y-8F-600: Newest civilian transport variant with a redesigned fuselage, Pratt and Whitney turboprop engines, an Electronic Flight Instrument System "glass cockpit", and a two-person crew

regards:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply sir, much appreciated !
But why aren't we going for KJ-2000 AEWACS which is much more advanced to what we are getting, i maybe wrong but thats what I have heard on this forum P.S iam new to this field as well, but learning quickly!

bcz we have no YL76:agree:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom