What's new

Pakistan to get Chinese AEW&C aircraft this year

Sometimes bigger is not better, requirements are to be seen.

If the ZDK-03 can do then job, then why need a much bigger platform to do the same job.

And 4 IL-78s are not gonna do the job, we need more platforms. Atleast 10-15 platforms would be needed to have a non stop AEW&C capability in case of an emergency.

Do you know how much it costs to acquire the Boeing platforms ??

Azad Bhai, its good to think with imagination with no boundaries, but in reality, a lot of factors decide about weapon systems and their procurement, like minimum requirement and specifications of the weapon system, operational and logistical issues, budget and then the maintenance issues in the long run.

Well over all even the KJ200 is not bad system gets the job done but if we are little creative we can do much more

Well - I am sure some of the 747 could be converted into refuelers in PIA they already converted some to cargo planes there is no shortage of such planes in PIA inventory ....

Sure , if Europe don't want us flying these over Europe hand that over to Pakistan Airforce , and convert them to refuelers for our airforce - I am sure our heavy industry can convert these into competent refueling crafts... 4-5

Ilyushin perhaps would be ideal for our Chines AWACs system immediately

Or may be we need to investigate the new Chinese Transport planes

There is no technicality in converting a plane into a refueler just need to install refueling lines (retractable)

Last edited:
Well over all even the KJ200 is not bad system gets the job done but if we are little creative we can do much more

Well - I am sure some of the 747 could be converted into refuelers in PIA they already converted some to cargo planes there is no shortage of such planes in PIA inventory ....

Ilyushin perhaps would be ideal for our Chines AWACs system

There is no technicality in converting a plane into a refueler just need to install refueling lines (retractable) and remove interior seating with fuel tanks

Sir sorry for going off topic, but I just wanted to know that, are we getting all the remaining air refuellers this year ?

Sir sorry for going off topic, but I just wanted to know that, are we getting all the remaining air refuellers this year ?

All the source suggest, they will be in service by end of 2010.

Ilyushin perhaps would be ideal for our Chines AWACs system

There is no technicality in converting a plane into a refueler just need to install refueling lines (retractable) and remove interior seating with fuel tanks

Its not KJ-200 that we are getting, it would be better then KJ-200 series, in the manner that ZDK-03 will have 360 degree coverage, which KJ-200 and Erieye lack.

If converting planes to aerial tankers had been that easy, well then we would have done it long time ago, but it isn't. You can't change each plane into an aerial tanker.

If IL-78s had been ideal for us, we would have gone for them, but they aren't due to many factors, so we getting an alternative, which will meet our requirements.

The bigger the platform, the bigger would be its operational and maintenance issues and its per flight cost. We are on a tight budget, so we have to see to these issues also.

Converting PIA planes to cargo is not a big issue, but equipping it with fuel tanks and the transferring or drogue system is no easy game.

Creativity should be by keeping limits in sight, not by imaginative creativity where there are no limits and in reality the program gets stuck.

well India will have only two or three?? AWACAS this year versus 5 of Pakistan. PAF went ahead in AWACAS warfare. . Congratulations

We are looking beyond India :P We need to be regional super power in next 8 years :pakistan:

I have been looking at your posts for quite a few months and all seems to be beyond reality or mostly fanboy stuff ! You being a senior member here holds some responsibility, being patriotic is very good and one needs it also as we are going through tough times, but talking like this makes us no more than clowns. I hope that you don't get offended as it was written in the right spirit !

Last edited:
sir sorry again for going off topic, but are our air refuellers will be based on IL-78 or IL-76 platform ?

IL-78 MRTT, meaning they will work as a refueling tanker as well as a transport whenever required.

Multi Role Tanker-Transport

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom