What's new

Pakistani Kurtas a hit among Indian women

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar Flare

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: It's a torrid summer ahead, and women in the city are making sure their wardrobe is equipped to handle the heat. And at the ongoing exhibition of Pakistani lifestyle products, the lightweight lawn cotton suits and kurtas seem to be a rage among women. Traders say they've sold out of many designs too.

The exhibition, Lifestyle Pakistan, is on at Pragati Maidan from 10am to 6pm until Sunday, and features over 100 traders from the country, many of whom are displaying in India for the first time. Apart from fashion, the exhibition includes precious and semi-precious jewellery, accessories, khussa (closed jootis) from Multan, furniture, home furnishings, handicrafts, textiles, and fabrics.

"The response has been fantastic. Lawn cloth is very soft and light, making it perfect for this weather. Women wear them in Pakistan all the time as the weather there is similar. They're great for the working woman especially," says renowned Karachi-based Hindu-Sindhi designer Deepak Perwani, who recently showcased at the Pakistan Fashion Week. At the exhibition, he's selling his mass-market collection of about 20 different prints, created in collaboration with Orient textile mills. "The pieces are all under Rs 5000, so they are accessible to everyone," he says. The suits are unstitched, but come in a packet complete with embellishments and embroidery patches required.

Syed Ali Debaj, who oversees the stall of Asim Jofa, a famous Pakistani designer, says that though they have formal wear, the response for the lawn suits has been tremendous. "It's the finest cotton, and it's good for casual wear. In our casual suits, too, we have embroideries, velvet patches, and other embellishments that allow dual purpose," he says.

The buying behavior echoes what the traders say - women throng stalls, hanging on to pieces carefully selected after rummaging through suit racks; some try on kurtas on top of their regular clothes, others drape embroidered sarees over their denims.

There are several other stalls selling products made of white and green Pakistani onyx - considered one of the best in the world. Products include coasters, keychains, vases, candle stands, bracelets, necklaces, telephones, glasses, decorative pieces and so on.

There is also an art section featuring oil, pastel, acrylic, watercolour, and mixed media works by Pakistani artists, as well as calligraphic pieces of silver leaf on board by artist Amjad Butt. There is a furniture section also, featuring boutique and high-end pieces.

Link: Times of India

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, opening borders for trade and increased business contact is a way forward in improving relations between India and Pakistan. Once good trade relations are established, it will be in favor of both the countries to solve issues like Kashmir, Mumbai, Siachen etc. Why do we need to fight when we share the same culture and language. :)

Good news. I recently read that Pakistani brands will now be available in India soon. In my opinion it is economics that can bring peace between India and Pakistan, not cricket or entertainment.

slowly pakistn awam will realise that india has alot more to offer them and stop spreading hate and terrr against them. the change will happen when the businesses run by the army start making money eventually they will stop sending trror into india

In my opinion, opening borders for trade and increased business contact is a way forward in improving relations between India and Pakistan. Once good trade relations are established, it will be in favor of both the countries to solve issues like Kashmir, Mumbai, Siachen etc. Why do we need to fight when we share the same culture and language. :)
:laugh: at you for calling bombay an issue...Only issue with India is kashmir...

:laugh: at you for calling bombay an issue...Only issue with India is kashmir...
no my friend, issue with pakistan is hatred against india. if kashmir is solved PA will think that terror can achieve anything and keep diong it. for eg if there is any internal issue in india involving muslims, PA will send teorror to destabilize india.
So issue with Pak is hatred towards india and not kashmir.

Bad news. I hope Indians don't start wearing it because they will start copying and moreover there would be no difference between Pakistanis.

What is the reason that whenever there is any picture of Pakistani Women posted here the Indians Members literally go insane..i mean our foreign minister is not even that beautiful and whole Indian Nation was going crazy over it.Are INdian girls buttugly (Please don''t give me example of bollywood girls)...

For your information, Pakistanis are one of the few people in the world left today that wear their own clothes. Exclude Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad. Just see rest of the 90% of the people living in the country.
even in india we wear our own stuff except in cities.. my mom has always worn only sarees. even in all western countries they wear their own clothes. Arabs too . only the chinese Japs have abandoned their tradition clothes for western ones.
nothing to discuss on this.

What is the reason that whenever there is any picture of Pakistani Women posted here the Indians Members literally go insane..i mean our foreign minister is not even that beautiful and whole Indian Nation was going crazy over it.Are INdian girls buttugly (Please don''t give me example of bollywood girls)...
yes.. indian girls are smart and ugly and demand a lot. pakistanis girls are the bimbo variety. thats why indians go bonkers.

even in india we wear our own stuff except in cities.. my mom has always worn only sarees. even in all western countries they wear their own clothes. Arabs too . only the chinese Japs have abandoned their tradition clothes for western ones.
nothing to discuss on this.

yes.. indian girls are smart and ugly and demand a lot. pakistanis girls are the bimbo variety. thats why indians go bonkers.

Nooooooo come on now yaar! How can we humble little Indians here compete with our 'ex-Indian turned pseudo-Persian' brothers and sisters from across the border in terms of looks?? :butcher:

Trade and opportunities can change a lot of hearts on both sides and heal some hearts faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom