What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Well i meant why so many? :undecided:

Not all the aircrafts of the PAF will be equipped with AESA hence they need broader coverage and situational awareness to support the infiltration by the Indian Air Force. The number of AWACs Pakistan acquired is fine, we definitely need that many to assure that coverage remains as long as possible. Pakistan will have 300-400 fighters operational which will need coverage. Dont you think six are good now?

Not all the aircrafts of the PAF will be equipped with AESA hence they need broader coverage and situational awareness to support the infiltration by the Indian Air Force.

From where are you getting an AESA radar?

The number of AWACs Pakistan acquired is fine, we definitely need that many to assure that coverage remains as long as possible. Pakistan will have 300-400 fighters operational which will need coverage. Dont you think six are good now?

So IAF would be severly udner equipped with just 3-5 AWACc for >600 fighters.

There are some Europeans contendors currently. (Forgot the exact name) It was french.

The airforce is probably looking into more. I heard a program is under development for an indeginious AWAC, how much successful it will be. I cant say. :lol: There was also a report that India wants to buy 6 more, but nothing reported later on.

questions one by one for ur 4 points

1- AESA radar? from where u will get aesa radar
2- well ks 172 can be launched as far as 400km....i dont think any system whatever
in PAF can detect it.....comment?
3- large? u call it a large .....its a fighter base missile not a space launcher.

1) The Erieye is a AESA radar.

2)The radar range of the Erieye is 450 KM. and 350 in a dense electronic environment. that is long enough to detect the missile or launch platform. Also what radar is there that can lock up a target at 400+KM? It uses inertial guidance which might work for a slow moving or static target. however against a moving target it isn't so great. More of a shoot and hope deal. The range is only a rumour and I am betting the NEZ for the missile is much lower.

3)Size? lol the missile is also rumoured to have a anti-satellite function so yes it is a space launcher and has the size of one.

As I stated the Erieye is a AESA radar.

I would suggest that 3 (that you have on order) is a small amount. But I think it is fair to say that there will be more. Attrition and maintenance issues would require a few more aircraft.

The airforce is probably looking into more. I heard a program is under development for an indeginious AWAC, how much successful it will be. I cant say. :lol: There was also a report that India wants to buy 6 more, but nothing reported later on.

I think the indegigenous development was terminated after the crash hat killed almost all of the scientists involved.

I think the indegienous development was terminated after the crash hat killed almost all of the scientists involved.

Sad to hear. I am surprised about the crash. What were the causes? I dont see how early warning systems can be a cause of crash, unless there were major design changes to the aircraft.

I think the indegigenous development was terminated after the crash hat killed almost all of the scientists involved.

My understanding is that the program was postponed not canceled. I believe it has been revived.

Sad to hear. I am surprised about the crash. What were the causes? I dont see how early warning systems can be a cause of crash, unless there were major design changes to the aircraft.

The crash was caused a few years back when the radome collapsed into the aircraft and it crashed with all hands (including a few scientists)

The crash was caused a few years back when the radome collapsed into the aircraft and it crashed with all hands (including a few scientists)

Yes, it was the huge, and I mean real huge radome that caused the crash as it collapsed on the fuselage and damaged the airframe.

I believe the awacs bas based on a HS.748 bodyframe.

6791cda42b9b3129bd88a825b8df85f8.jpg

Thats interesting. I wonder what kind of protection does AEW&Cs really have as far as being safe from air-to-air missiles. Flares? Jamming Systems? ECM?

What if they do get hit with one of the missiles. Would the damage be significant enough that they will survive? Anything like ejection seat, parachutes possible during this situation.

I believe it wasnt just few but almost all.

There were reports of it being revived in 2000 and 2003, but nothingmuch is being said after that.

Somethings i found on the net...

'The Centre for Airborne Systems in Bangalore (CABS) is developing the airborne early warning system which involves a flying platform and mounted sensors like radars to provide battle-management functions.'

'CABS is also planning to build a radar system on an imported Embraer executive jet.'

Thats two types of AWACS under development.

' The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) hopes to fly the air force-identified aircraft carrying the indigenously developed Airborne-Early Warning and Control (AEW and C) system by 2008-end, Director of the Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS), DRDO, Bangalore, K. Tamilmani said here on Thursday.'

The Hindu : National : Indigenous airborne systems by 2008

Somethings i found on the net...

'The Centre for Airborne Systems in Bangalore (CABS) is developing the airborne early warning system which involves a flying platform and mounted sensors like radars to provide battle-management functions.'

'CABS is also planning to build a radar system on an imported Embraer executive jet.'

Thats two types of AWACS under development.

' The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) hopes to fly the air force-identified aircraft carrying the indigenously developed Airborne-Early Warning and Control (AEW and C) system by 2008-end, Director of the Centre for Airborne Systems (CABS), DRDO, Bangalore, K. Tamilmani said here on Thursday.'

The Hindu : National : Indigenous airborne systems by 2008

You know DRDO would do well to stop putting dates on their projects....

But yes I believe this is the project that will make up the shortfall in systems.

However there is only one AWACS mentioned there. The other one sounds like a battlefield surveillance aircraft of some sort.

You know DRDO would do well to stop putting dates on their projects....

But yes I believe this is the project that will make up the shortfall in systems.

However there is only one AWACS mentioned there. The other one sounds like a battlefield surveillance aircraft of some sort.

I took the second one for some sort of an AWACS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom