What's new

Pakistan's Nuclear Submarine Development | News and Discussions

We can't even fully manufacture a simple sub, let alone a nuclear sub. And that too 5-8 years, not by a long shot.

Now would it be a nuclear powered or nuclear missile capable sub? I think if anything does happen, it would be with China.

Building a nuclear submarine being a complicated project, Pakistan will most likely take China's help, and this will enable Indian Navy to get a fair idea about China's nuclear submarines as China is very secretive of her submarines. Overall, a good thing for India.

Building a nuclear submarine being a complicated projected, Pakistan will most likely take China's help, and this will enable Indian Navy to get a fair idea about China's nuclear submarines as China is very secretive of her submarines. Overall, a good thing for India.

If you turn the page,there have been a few commenrs about this matter.

We can't even fully manufacture a simple sub, let alone a nuclear sub. And that too 5-8 years, not by a long shot.

Now would it be a nuclear powered or nuclear missile capable sub? I think if anything does happen, it would be with China.

"Indigenous" is not always practical,and not cheap.
Pakistan cam make the hull indigenously..
Probably the reactor too and a simple propellar bases propulsion system..
But the rest of the systems will have to be imported from many sources,not just china.

An example is Eurofighter..
Many countries make the different components,and its an indigemous product of a continent not a country.
Times have changed..
Americans and Soviets of 60s made indigenous military equipment because at that time nobody ekse was making anything like that..
But now its more economial to buy componentd off the shelf and imtebrate into your design.
No point in re inventig the wheel.
Although i will be happy if Pakistan gets any such 'indigenous' capability.

"Indigenous" is not always practical,and not cheap.
Pakistan cam make the hull indigenously..
Probably the reactor too and a simple propellar bases propulsion system..
But the rest of the systems will have to be imported from many sources,not just china.

An example is Eurofighter..
Many countries make the different components,and its an indigemous product of a continent not a country.
Times have changed..
Americans and Soviets of 60s made indigenous military equipment because at that time nobody ekse was making anything like that..
But now its more economial to buy componentd off the shelf and imtebrate into your design.
No point in re inventig the wheel.
Although i will be happy if Pakistan gets any such 'indigenous' capability.

Well there is a reason of reinventing a wheel for a country like Pakistan. Because in future sanctions which im sure uncle Sam will impose on Pakistan after withdrawal then this reinventing wheel will come handy.

Well there is a reason of reinventing a wheel for a country like Pakistan. Because in future sanctions which im sure uncle Sam will impose on Pakistan after withdrawal then this reinventing wheel will come handy.

That is a valid point and mi'itary planners keep that in mind while 'buying' off the shelf components..
Critical components are always either indigenous or from least 'sanction prone' source..

Pakistan has flown a 100% American plane all the years when they had tough sanctions on Pakistan and no parts were sold to Pakistan.

We appreciate your support sir.

What you do need is the support of the people of Pakistan for such projects while their own social development needs continue to lag, and the technical and financial wherewithal to do it. The good luck is only the cherry on top after you have the cake and the icing.

Big talks again :lol:
Chalo lets wait !!!

At the moment yes....it sounds like a boast,not because it cant be done,it is doable...but are the military and political leadership determined enough to do this?
But time will tell

Yeap, seems credible. And not to mention the inauguration of Naval Strategic Forces Command by the Naval Chief.
But I never expected it to get a nuclear sub in just 4-5 years. Lets see what happens;
The American nuke powered Virginia class sub started construction in 1999 and will be ready NOT before 2015. That's >15 years from design to operationalization. The cost? $2.5 billion!

The British Astute class nuke sub will take 14 years. The cost? $2.1 billion.

Both nations have decades of experience in construction of subs and naval warships. Even then it is taking them 14-15 years for design and construction of new subs costing a couple of billion dollars each!

So all this talk of designing, constructing, testing and operationalizing a nuke sub by Pakistan in 5-6 years is a pipe dream unless they borrow and assemble the older generation systems of the Chinese nuclear subs.

In short, it's designs, parts and assemblies from old Chinese nuke subs and cash for construction from Pakistan's eternal benefactors, the US of A! ;) And needless to say, the construction proper is going to be done in Chinese shipyards with Chinese expertise and Chinese workers.

So how is it going to be a 'Pakistani' nuclear sub??
thinking-001.gif

What you do need is the support of the people of Pakistan for such projects while their own social development needs continue to lag, and the technical and financial wherewithal to do it. The good luck is only the cherry on top after you have the cake and the icing.

I am pretty sure that some people back in 1972 told Bhutto the same thing about nuclear missile program..I cant say anything if this project is feasible or not, but i am sure Pakistan can do it

Back
Top Bottom