What's new

Pakistan's Nuclear Submarine Development | News and Discussions

Now you are finally talking some sense,the fact is Pakistan is indeed planning to develop second-strike capability but it will be with conventional subs and they will employ Babur for this purpose.
Acc. to My sources Pakistan also wants inproved and navalised KD-63 cruise missiles from China

Actually , I am talking sense from the very beginning ... Getting a Chinese design or modifying an existing submarine ( both conventional or nuclear ) for second strike capability wasn't that much hard to believe ... Nobody said that we were developing a nuclear submarine from scratch ...

Yes , your sources ... Very believable ! :lol: The same which attribute the development of any Pakistani weapon as some TOT from China/North Korea right ? ... The same conspiracy theorist I take it ... :azn:

The American nuke powered Virginia class sub started construction in 1999 and will be ready NOT before 2015. That's >15 years from design to operationalization. The cost? $2.5 billion!

The British Astute class nuke sub will take 14 years. The cost? $2.1 billion.

Both nations have decades of experience in construction of subs and naval warships. Even then it is taking them 14-15 years for design and construction of new subs costing a couple of billion dollars each!

So all this talk of designing, constructing, testing and operationalizing a nuke sub by Pakistan in 5-6 years is a pipe dream unless they borrow and assemble the older generation systems of the Chinese nuclear subs.

In short, it's designs, parts and assemblies from old Chinese nuke subs and cash for construction from Pakistan's eternal benefactors, the US of A! ;) And needless to say, the construction proper is going to be done in Chinese shipyards with Chinese expertise and Chinese workers.

So how is it going to be a 'Pakistani' nuclear sub??
thinking-001.gif

I don't know where you got that kind of info but the first Virginia herself was commissioned in 2004 when construction started in 1999.

I don't know where you got that kind of info but the first Virginia herself was commissioned in 2004 when construction started in 1999.

Relax , these people are known for talking out of their behind rather with facts ...

well i dont know the credibility of this report
but pak had one project of marine based reactor for Possible integration in a submarine in future
this project dates back to 1997 when first indigenous khushab reactor was made operationa

Does Pakistan have a nfu policy? If not is that really what Pakistan needs now?

but pak had one project of marine based reactor for Possible integration in a submarine in future
this project dates back to 1997 when first indigenous khushab reactor was made operationa
8th Sept: Pakistan Navy Day

The induction of indigenously made F-22P frigates, “QING” class 6 nuclear sub-marines, fast attack ‘Stealth’ Craft equipped with 8 surface-to-surface missiles from China and the acquisition of 6 modified P3C aircraft with latest avionics/sensors from United States into Pakistan Navy will significantly add to the combat potential of Pakistan Navy Fleet. Today, Pakistan Navy is proudly defending the sea-frontiers as well as protecting the maritime interests of Pakistan.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/...es-Reports?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

ISLAMABAD — Media reports on Feb. 11 state the Pakistan Navy intends to build nuclear-powered submarines as a matter of priority.

No sources were quoted in the reports, which indicated the first submarine would be operational in five to eight years.

When contacted by Defense News, a spokesman for the Pakistani Navy said he could not comment as to the veracity of the reports.

Mansoor Ahmed, a lecturer at Islamabad’s Quaid-e-Azam University who specializes in nonconventional weapons and missiles, believes the reports are the result of a calculated leak by the Navy, and that a message may be being sent to India.

“This news … appears to be some kind of signaling to the Indians seeing as they are taking delivery of a new nuclear-powered submarine from the Russians as well as their own Arihant Class SSBN,” he said.

“So Pakistan is signaling to the Indians that they are mindful of these developments and taking due measures in response.”

Ahmed said he has for some time believed Pakistan was working on a nuclear propulsion system for submarine applications and that Pakistan already has a functional submarine launched variant of the Babur cruise missile.

The Babur cruise missile is very similar to the U.S. BGM-109 Tomahawk, and perhaps derives at least some technology from Tomahawks which crashed in Pakistan during U.S. strikes on al-Qaida training camps in Afghanistan in 1998. It can be armed with conventional or nuclear warheads.

Ahmed believes Pakistan is now gearing up to build its own SSN/SSGN flotilla as a way of deterring India and maintaining the strategic balance in South Asia.

However, in the long term in order to fully ensure the credibility of its deterrent Ahmed said he believes Pakistan should build ballistic missile submarines.

And here is a commentary on the matter by a renowned defense researcher Mr.Haq who was a PDF member but apparently we scared him away :cry:

http://www.riazhaq.com/2012/02/pakistan-to-build-nuclear-submarines.html

We are all aware of PN's intentions to acquire nuclear sub capability, but unfortunately looking at the finances and our technical capabilities, this project does not appear feasible. Acquiring a nuclear sub is no joke, its maintenance and operations require a huge sum of money. The only way i see PN building up a nuclear sub is through partnership with an external source possibly China. It appears that PN is content in acquiring Qing Conventional Submarines loaded with nuclear tipped Cruise Missiles. The main reason why the U214 deal fell through is due to PN's insistence of cruise missile capabilities while Germany due to Uncle SAM's pressure refused to provide that capability.

good if its true
time will tell
and please next time dont start a thread
which you know is gonna hijacked

I remember , Mushf also said in PAK rallies that PAK space program/ sats are more advance then india and pak news daily also publish it. ...... is it like the same news just to mollify fake ego that if india can we can also.

I remember , Mushf also said in PAK rallies that PAK space program/ sats are more advance then india and pak news daily also publish it. ...... is it like the same news just to mollify fake ego that if india can we can also.

Pakistan is hiding all its Satellites and Launch vehicles and ICBMs, we will test them once United Snakes of America get the hell Out Of here!

Pakistan is hiding all its Satellites and Launch vehicles and ICBMs, we will test them once United Snakes of America get the hell Out Of here!

So when will USA stop using satellites and other forms of remote sensing?

What about before 2001, pre 9/11. What were you waiting for or did you built these in just 10 years ? :undecided:

Last time India got their first Nuclear submarine, second hand of course-they made a large exhibition in Indian sea with flowers. Pakistan promised to build an indigenous one long ago before that, planned to be finished within 2020. Why to make that much rush! I think Pakistan need to give more efforts of building some fighter jets and gain variety of know how from Chinese Jets. China and Pakistan are strategic ally and if China goes to a war, they will heavily rely on Pakistan to keep India away.Certainly it needs lots of Engineering knowledge to tackle India as India got great purchase power. Only by "know how" you can reduce the monetary costs.Hope Pakistan do well. Wish Bangladesh Pakistan honest alliance.

We are all aware of PN's intentions to acquire nuclear sub capability, but unfortunately looking at the finances and our technical capabilities, this project does not appear feasible. Acquiring a nuclear sub is no joke, its maintenance and operations require a huge sum of money. The only way i see PN building up a nuclear sub is through partnership with an external source possibly China. It appears that PN is content in acquiring Qing Conventional Submarines loaded with nuclear tipped Cruise Missiles. The main reason why the U214 deal fell through is due to PN's insistence of cruise missile capabilities while Germany due to Uncle SAM's pressure refused to provide that capability.

A modified kilo or Qing class without vertical launch capability and only with nuclear tipped cruise missiles.
The submarine needs to be big enough to carry enough fire power to act as a deterrent..May or may not be nuclear propulsion.
Agosta are too small for the job...
But Pakistan has been developing tube launched cruise missiles and the navy has formed a "strategic command" of their own...
The ultra expensive to build and maintain nuclear subs are those carrying ballistic missiles and therefore humongous...
Pakistan can do with anything around 3000 tons or above....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom