What's new

Pakistan's Nuclear Submarine Development | News and Discussions

The American nuke powered Virginia class sub started construction in 1999 and will be ready NOT before 2015. That's >15 years from design to operationalization. The cost? $2.5 billion!

The British Astute class nuke sub will take 14 years. The cost? $2.1 billion.

Both nations have decades of experience in construction of subs and naval warships. Even then it is taking them 14-15 years for design and construction of new subs costing a couple of billion dollars each!

So all this talk of designing, constructing, testing and operationalizing a nuke sub by Pakistan in 5-6 years is a pipe dream unless they borrow and assemble the older generation systems of the Chinese nuclear subs.

In short, it's designs, parts and assemblies from old Chinese nuke subs and cash for construction from Pakistan's eternal benefactors, the US of A! ;) And needless to say, the construction proper is going to be done in Chinese shipyards with Chinese expertise and Chinese workers.

So how is it going to be a 'Pakistani' nuclear sub??
thinking-001.gif

You cannot compare the American and British sub costs with Pakistan's.

Moreover, work on the sub started way back in the late 90s. Whether we get Chinese help or not isn't important.

danger.png

Based on the reports Pakistan has decided to build its own "Nuclear Submarines" and budget will set aside enough funds to ensure Pakistan has its first Nuclear Submarine in 4-5 years time

Its in the news then its gona happen

:pakistan:

Pakistan maybe developing Nuclear Subs.. But 5 years is too unrealistic... No big power developed one in such a short time...
India took nearly 15 years to develop critical technologies needed to develop Nuclear subs...
It may be around 2020-2025, maybe pakistan can show a nuclear sub, if its indeed developing one...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure that some people back in 1972 told Bhutto the same thing about nuclear missile program..I cant say anything if this project is feasible or not, but i am sure Pakistan can do it

Bhutto saved Pakistan from inevitable obliteration or at least being doomed to become a subservient state to India for ever. Pakistan has the capacity to build and deploy a nuclear submarine and we do need one for establishing a nuclear triad for our safety. I agree with VCheng's opinion to the fullest but i also wish to mention that security comes FIRST and FOREMOST. I'd rather eat once a day to pay for having my country safe than having to see Indian tanks rolling in my streets and not even having enough rocks to through at them. Ask the price of independence to the Palestinians, they would tell you that they would eat grass and walk around with stones attached to their stomach in order to live in a free country.

Mods should take proactively action to delete this kind of threads ...just like 6 qing class subs for PN..

Anyone who is familiar with developmental cycle of Subs would know it.

We arent talking about DRDO here, If Pakistan say they are doing it then they are half way thru it already.

but yes mod please delete this thread I am starting to smell burning

Mods should take proactively action to delete this kind of threads ...just like 6 qing class subs for PN..

Anyone who is familiar with developmental cycle of Subs would know it.

Why are you guys always so B-utt hurt?

5 Years makes sense

2014 we are getting 36 J10B Jets , in 2 years from now
2015 we are suppose to get 4 F22p frigates from China -3 years from now
2015 we are also suppose to get our JF17 thunders to 300 fighter jets
2014 we are getting GENESIS upgrade to OHP friagte
2016 We are suppose to get our first Nuclear Submarine

Seems very logical progressive approach to National Defense needs

Why are we accumulating so much military stuff? Are we heading towards a military confrontation on large scale? I guess our new century is not leading us to a peaceful world within the very near future. Looks like the prediction of MAYA Calendar is gonna come true soon.....cuz the whole world is going on the same path of destruction getting new and new weapons systems useless for the ordinary pplz but only useful for the greedy evil rulers.........:smokin:

The American nuke powered Virginia class sub started construction in 1999 and will be ready NOT before 2015. That's >15 years from design to operationalization. The cost? $2.5 billion!

The British Astute class nuke sub will take 14 years. The cost? $2.1 billion.

Both nations have decades of experience in construction of subs and naval warships. Even then it is taking them 14-15 years for design and construction of new subs costing a couple of billion dollars each!

So all this talk of designing, constructing, testing and operationalizing a nuke sub by Pakistan in 5-6 years is a pipe dream unless they borrow and assemble the older generation systems of the Chinese nuclear subs.

In short, it's designs, parts and assemblies from old Chinese nuke subs and cash for construction from Pakistan's eternal benefactors, the US of A! ;) And needless to say, the construction proper is going to be done in Chinese shipyards with Chinese expertise and Chinese workers.

So how is it going to be a 'Pakistani' nuclear sub??
thinking-001.gif

So why are you getting your panties in a bunch ?

Why is this SMOKE emanating from your rear end ?

Wait for few years and you will find out.....

Bhutto saved Pakistan from inevitable obliteration or at least being doomed to become a subservient state to India for ever. Pakistan has the capacity to build and deploy a nuclear submarine and we do need one for establishing a nuclear triad for our safety. I agree with VCheng's opinion to the fullest but i also wish to mention that security comes FIRST and FOREMOST. I'd rather eat once a day to pay for having my country safe than having to see Indian tanks rolling in my streets and not even having enough rocks to through at them. Ask the price of independence to the Palestinians, they would tell you that they would eat grass and walk around with stones attached to their stomach in order to live in a free country.

You having no intention to use your brain , India developed nukes in 1974 it means 25 yrs before the first nuke test of Pakistan. If India wants to destroy Pakistan it had been done long back. India having no plans to occupy other nation territories best example: BD.

Did nukes protected your soldiers/civilians in Kargil war ,NATO/drones attacks? . IMO nuclear submarine development is unnecessary for Pakistan.

Pakistan maybe developing Nuclear Subs.. But 5 years is too unrealistic... No big power developed one in such a short time...
India took nearly 15 years to develop critical technologies needed to develop Nuclear subs...
It may be around 2020-2025, maybe pakistan can show a nuclear sub, if its indeed developing one...

Fast construction isnt unheard of...
Soviet Kursk sub was laid in 1992 and entered service in 1994.

The smallest nuclear subwas USA's Skit class 2900 ton sub..

Chinese Qing class is much larger than that and can be powered by a reactor.

You having no intention to use your brain

S.U

India developed nukes in 1974

That was a dirty bomb, and Pakistan had its first nuke in 1986.

it means 25 yrs before the first nuke test of Pakistan.

Pakistan tested its nukes first through cold tests and then in a Chinese desert in 1990.
If India wants to destroy Pakistan it had been done long back.

India could not.
India having no plans to occupy other nation territories best example: BD.

India didn't have a capacity, to occupy. BD, is a yes man state of India now, this is what India wanted. India does not have the power to occupy and put up with issues of other countries while half of its own population starves.

Did nukes protected your soldiers/civilians in Kargil war ,NATO/drones attacks? .

Nukes, do not provide protection, they just give you the ultimate option to seek vengeance, the option to hit back with a relentless force. Strategic parity! - It means India will NEVER have Pakistan as a subservient state which would put down its claim on Kashmir.

IMO nuclear submarine development is unnecessary for Pakistan.

That is none of your business, we want a nuclear triad and we will get it, everyone in India will see it happening and would hear it loud and clear.

Why are we accumulating so much military stuff? Are we heading towards a military confrontation on large scale? I guess our new century is not leading us to a peaceful world within the very near future. Looks like the prediction of MAYA Calendar is gonna come true soon.....cuz the whole world is going on the same path of destruction getting new and new weapons systems useless for the ordinary pplz but only useful for the greedy evil rulers.........:smokin:
Agreed. If they could give us money for posting on forums rather than buying weapons. What say ?

@topic
I agree with Safriz's approach. Building certain part indigenous and importing other systems. No need to re-invent the wheel. But keeping the development of those imported systems in parallel to become self-reliant.

Fast construction isnt unheard of...
Soviet Kursk sub was laid in 1992 and entered service in 1994.
The smallest nuclear subwas USA's Skit class 2900 ton sub..
Chinese Qing class is much larger than that and can be powered by a reactor.
Soviets have decades of experience before they built Kursk. Pakistan has to develop that level of expertise as miniaturized nuclear reactor will be the toughest part. I think working with Chinese is better approach and taking one nuke sub on lease for the time being will be a practical solution.

Security indeed comes first, but please be sure such an approach has its own costs in terms of social development, and those costs, in the long run, can have adverse effects on security as well.

Thus, a balanced approach is the best: Security first, yes, but not to the long term exclusion of everything else.

Pakistan has a credible nuclear deterrent already. Having a nuclear powered submarine with nuclear weapons provides for a second strike capability. Does it really need one, given its existing capabilities? If Pakistan decides it needs to be second-strike capable, it then needs to decide at what cost?

You really have a deep understanding of Indo-Pak relations which sadly only PA and their supporters seems to have. Why then a country having the most powerful weapon would need a large standing army is beyond most civilians.

Why just a meal a day, substitute the meals with a healthy dose of grass as Bhutto originally proposed. However, you would follow the evil Hindu vegetarians, now ain't that a B***H!

Agreed. If they could give us money for posting on forums rather than buying weapons. What say ?

@topic
I agree with Safriz's approach. Building certain part indigenous and importing other systems. No need to re-invent the wheel. But keeping the development of those imported systems in parallel to become self-reliant.

Soviets have decades of experience before they built Kursk. Pakistan has to develop that level of expertise as miniaturized nuclear reactor will be the toughest part. I think working with Chinese is better approach and taking one nuke sub on lease for the time being will be a practical solution.

I was comparing the size.
Kursk was a 18000 tonner carrying vertical launch balistic missiles.
Pakistan will most probably build or modify a submarine anything above 3000 tons to carry cruise missiles,as vertical launch is complicated and Pakistan has enough mobile launchers on land for that purpose.

A qing class sub modified to carry Pakistan's cruise missiles is not an impossible task.
The sub is already designed with nuclear propulsion in mind...

Right now its anybody's guess,and i am guessing it will be a modified Qing class sub which are already under construction to be deployed in china by 2015.

Back
Top Bottom