What's new

Pakistan's 'secret' war in Baluchistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pakistan's Other Problem Area: Baluchistan

When the world looks at Pakistan, its attention justifiably focuses on the rugged northern border with Afghanistan, a nexus of Taliban activity and the site of an ongoing multi-pronged campaign against the militants. Battling jihadism there is a pivotal plank in the Obama administration's plans to stabilize the war-ravaged region and eventually dial down America's military presence.

But in the shadow of this "Af--Pak" frontier, another conflict has grown new life in recent years and, according to experts, poses a possibly greater existential threat to the Pakistani state. The province of Baluchistan, situated along Pakistan's west and northwest borders with Iran and Afghanistan, comprises more than 40% of Pakistan's landmass but less than 5% of its people. Its unforgiving deserts nearly annihilated the armies of Alexander the Great as they marched home. The native Baluch, descendants of nomadic tribes who roamed these arid wastes, number around five million and have for years complained of marginalization and mistreatment, particularly at the hands of the Pakistani military.

Beneath their homeland's soil lies a treasure trove of natural gas and oil reserves, which, while largely untapped, yield revenues from which the Baluch feel excluded. Successive generations have waged armed rebellions against Pakistani rule — in 1948, 1953, through the 1960s and 70s, and now. According to analysts, continued abuses at the hands of security forces and Pakistan's shadowy intelligence agency, the ISI, have intensified separatist feeling to an unprecedented scale. "Baluch nationalism is more broad-based, is a more serious phenomenon than at any time in the past," says Selig Harrison, director of the Center for International Policy in Washington, a leading authority on the Baluch.

The dimensions of the Baluch struggle are made all the more complicated by the region's political geography. Around a million ethnic Baluch live on the other side of the border in Iran and there, too, have long agitated against a repressive state for greater freedoms. During Pakistan's most brutal crackdown on Baluch separatists in the 1970s — when civilians reportedly died in the thousands — Iran lent Pakistan logistical support, including helicopters. At the time, the two countries were allied together under the U.S.-led CENTO Cold War pact, but following Iran's Islamic Revolution in 1979 relations changed, with Tehran's Shia establishment increasingly wary of their Sunni counterparts in the Pakistani military leadership. The Iranians loath the Afghan Taliban, who were created in part by elements within the Pakistani state. "There's an inherent set of tensions [between the two countries] based on their prior strategic choices," says Sameer Lalwani, a Pakistan watcher at the New America Foundation, a Washington-based think tank.

On Baluchistan, the cooperation of old has shifted to a more guarded mutual distrust. On Oct. 18, Jundullah, a Baluch militia based on Pakistani soil struck the Iranian border city of Pishin, killing 41, including a number of senior figures in the Iranian Revolutionary Guards. A week later, Pakistani troops detained 11 Iranian agents who had infiltrated across the border, possibly in a mission aimed against Jundullah. They were eventually released, but the incidents spotlighted the uncomfortable place Baluchistan occupies in both Tehran and Islamabad's internal affairs — and their dealings with each other.

These tensions may balloon in the future as other regional powers expand their interests in Baluchistan as well. The presence of some 19 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in the province has raised the prospect of significant outside investment, but it has only deepened Baluch anxieties of alienation. China has already set about securing access to Baluchistan's other rich veins of resources: it owns a controlling interest in the massive gold and copper mine at Saindak and has steered the building of a $1 billion blue water port at Gwadar, mostly using Chinese labor. The growing hub of Gwadar, which Islamabad has slated to become a special economic zone, is not only a focal point of Chinese strategic interests in southwest Asia, but also a source of contention for the Baluch, who have been almost entirely frozen out of its development and, as in elsewhere in the province, kept at arm's length by ethnic Punjabis and Sindhis arriving to do business here from other parts of Pakistan.

Baluch separatists claim that they never wanted to be part of Britain's partitioning of colonial India into the independent states of India and Pakistan and that they are the victims of an empire that barely ruled them. The border that splits Iranian and Pakistani Baluchistan was a line plotted in 1871 by a British colonial official, ceding territory to Iran's rulers in a bid to win Tehran's support against Czarist Russia. Now, the Baluch in Pakistan and Iran who fear independence may be out of reach campaign for expanded freedoms and guarantees to preserve their language and culture within the Pakistani and Iranian states. Others have taken arms over the years. Suggestions made by some Pakistani officials linking Baluch separatism to the activities of the Taliban are wrong, says Harrison. Baluch nationalism has always been a secular project; its militant fronts warring with Pakistan, like the Baluch Liberation Army, descend from a tradition of Marxist-Leninist guerrillas that took root in the 1970s. Jundullah, though an avowedly Sunni group, articulates its identity as a rejection of the Shia clerics ruling Iran — a political act — rather than one born out any particular fervor.

When trying to discredit Baluch separatism, Islamabad often blames its regional rival, India, for abetting and influencing the rebels. Pakistan's wariness of India's hand in its affairs has only grown after the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan saw Indian engagement there bloom — Pakistani officials say Indian consulates in the Afghan cities of Kandahar and Jalalabad are behind the destabilizing acts of subversion in Baluchistan. Baluch attacks are frequently followed by Pakistani accusations of Indian involvement, though Islamabad, which has a noted record of being a breeding ground for terrorists who make their way to India, has yet to show any evidence of Indian collusion. Earlier this month, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh rejected any notion of India backing insurgents. "The people and government of Pakistan know jolly well that this is a false accusation," said Singh.

Meanwhile, Baluchistan simmers. Beyond the standard detachments of border troops, the Pakistani military has kept an occupying army in six major garrisons across the province since 1958. For decades, the Baluch have accused the army of kidnappings, disappearances and extrajudicial killings. In April, three dissident Baluch leaders were reportedly abducted by Pakistani security forces and found days later, their bodies bruised and ridden with bullets, triggering weeks of rioting and violence. A 2008 Amnesty International report, "Denying the Undeniable: Enforced Disappearances in Pakistan," charted at least 600 unresolved disappearances in Baluchistan alone. The 2006 killing of Akbar Bugti — at the time, the emotive figurehead of Baluch separatism — in a firefight with Pakistani troops gave the current wave of Baluch nationalists a martyred hero to latch onto. "The continued atrocities all over Pakistani Baluchistan has kindled a very strong separatist feeling that will have to be answered," says Harrison of the Center for International Policy.

In a report published earlier this year, Harrison recommends the withdrawal of a chunk of the Pakistani occupying army and a political solution that grants the province greater autonomy and control over its resources. The Baluch desire for greater autonomy commands a decent level of sympathy among the Pakistani public, but is a non-starter with the military, who view the province as a vital geopolitical bulwark against Tehran, Kabul or New Delhi's interests. The political paralysis in dealing with this remote, restive province is another sign, experts say, of the real power the military holds over the country's weak civilian government. "[Pakistani President Asif ]Zardari and his entourage understand what needs to be done," says Harrison. "But they have no ability to get the armed forces and the ISI to cooperate."

The U.S. has remained mostly quiet on the matter, in part because it only has so much leverage that it can wield over the Pakistani military. During the Bush administration, there were suggestions that Washington was even secretly backing anti-Iranian groups like Jundullah and staging covert operations against Iran from Baluchistan. But a more public effort to reach a just solution for Baluch grievances would go a long way toward securing stability for Pakistan in general. The Baluch disturbances have put on hold plans to build a lucrative gas pipeline from Iran to India via Pakistan — a link that would enhance regional cooperation as well as boost the nation's wealth. Calming separatist passions would also serve as a lesson to the Pakistani military, which, as seen during the traumatic and bloody independence of Bangladesh (formerly East Pakistan), has a habit of trying to brutally stomp out secessionist movements. At a moment when there are so many hearts and minds to be won — and boots on the ground stretched so thin — it wouldn't hurt to give peace a chance.

Pakistan's Other Problem Area: Baluchistan - TIME

No proof of Indian involvement in Balochistan: US

Amid Pakistan's charge that India was fomenting trouble in Balochistan, the US has said it does not have any evidence in this regard.

"Well, first of all, we have no evidence of that. I mean, we just have no evidence of that," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said.

Clinton, who just concluded a three-day visit to Pakistan, made the remarks in Lahore during an interaction with Pakistani editors who told her that many Pakistanis believed India was fomenting trouble in Balochistan.

Describing Balochistan as "a very volatile region," Hillary said she had not seen any evidence from Pakistan about India's involvement in Balochistan.

"Not that I've seen.... I have not seen it. I have not seen anything like that. So I can't agree with you because I personally don't have any information," she said, according to a transcript made available by the State Department in Washington.

Her comments assume significance in the wake of Pakistan alleging that India was fomenting trouble in Balochistan and that it had "evidence" to prove its claim

http://www.ndtv.com/news/world/no_proof_of_indian_involvement_in_balochistan_us.php

I have a suggestion here:

Define resource and service.

Why should Balochistan get Gas royalty ? did they put the gas in ?
Why should sindh get Coal royalty ? did they put coal in earth ?
Why should punjab get to keep agriculture ? they caused land to be fertile or the rivers to flow ?

NONE !

These are gifts of the earth, and one has done Sh##$ to own it !T
The only thing that can be taxed is human endeavor. Thus services and revenue generated from services may be owned
resources should be federally owned, and distributed fair.

Unfortunately Agriculture and Mining is a chapter in provincial government and not federal government. Provincial governments are hijacked by feudal.

THUS

the resentment amongst the general population.

KILL THE FEUDAL, set the people free.

Amid Pakistan's charge that India was fomenting trouble in Balochistan, the US has said it does not have any evidence in this regard.

"Well, first of all, we have no evidence of that. I mean, we just have no evidence of that," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said.

Clinton, who just concluded a three-day visit to Pakistan, made the remarks in Lahore during an interaction with Pakistani editors who told her that many Pakistanis believed India was fomenting trouble in Balochistan.

Describing Balochistan as "a very volatile region," Hillary said she had not seen any evidence from Pakistan about India's involvement in Balochistan.

"Not that I've seen.... I have not seen it. I have not seen anything like that. So I can't agree with you because I personally don't have any information," she said, according to a transcript made available by the State Department in Washington.

Her comments assume significance in the wake of Pakistan alleging that India was fomenting trouble in Balochistan and that it had "evidence" to prove its claim

Yaaaaaaaaaar !

US thought pakistan had nothing to do (practically) with Kashmir movement for 40 + years !

Till US needed to control China.

Now US and India are lovers !

Moral of the story,

any one who the prosi sleeps with is a stud !
as long as she gets paid.

Yes, it will give other Pakistani's a clear view about the Baloch freedom struggle. And GoP will find no reason to blame India for its internal matters. :undecided:
Come on man, have a tinge of reality added to what you post...

Its vividly proven many a times that there is brazen Indian involvement in Baloch insurgency, the obvious strategic interests including destabilization of Pakistan are the main Indian agenda in this area.

India should avoid such tactics so that enduring stability could prevail in the ENTIRE south asia

Thank you very much for asking me to contribute. I am writing on the Balochistan issue for quite some time on this forum as well as on some others. However, I have reached to a conclusion that what I want to say is not what people (non-Baloch) want to hear and what the people (non-Baloch) want to hear is I can not say as it would not be the truth. All I can tell you is that matters are out of the hands of the Sardars, and into the hands of the masses. The time of lip-service is long gone and the GoP has to show something tangible that satisfies the inhabitants of Balochistan. Instead of labeling all the insurgents as traitors, the GoP has to negotiate with them, and not for passing the time but to make some real progress.

The GoP has to learn how to deal with the Balochs. And you know who could teach them how? The teachers of Colleges and the Universities… I have seen how beautifully my teachers have handled the situation in the Government Degree College and the Balochistan University and managed to keep the BSO (Baloch Student Organization) folks peaceful and cooperative.

The problem of the GoP is that they want to handle the situation with force and this has in the past and will always backfire. It is not that the Baloch are not at fault, they are and in many places. However, pushing them aside and label them with the word traitor will isolate them even further. The Balochistan problem will be solved the day they will start getting fair share in the NFC award, the justified royalty of Sui Gas and Sandak project as well as Gawder seaport etc. These are not big things and are doable, but who will do that? As the urdu proverb goes “billi key galey mein ghanti kaun bandhey” or in English “who will bell the cat?”

It is unfortunate that the folks sitting in Islamabad find it easier to spend millions of rupees in deploying forces to suppress the voice of the Balochs but not giving them what rightfully belongs to them. Until and unless this colonial mindset is not changed, don’t expect things to get normal in Balochistan.

Just look around yourself, how the country is being burnt. But did you see anything concrete coming out from the GoP to settle down the problems in Balochistan? What if the so-called Baloch nationalists start a revolt in Balochistan? These are grave times and we need unity. However, there is no shortage of people who still view things from a very different angle and keep living in denial, very conveniently putting all the blame on the Baloch sardars and labeling them as traitors and what not.

Take for example the Dr. Shazia case. Yes she was blind-folded, she might not have seen the face of the offender. But she might have recognized him through his voice or what ever. So if the Captain was blamed, what was the right thing to do? To let him prove his innocence in the court of law. That would simply solved the matter once for all. What happened instead? Musharraf came to rescue an ordinary Captain. Why? Who was Musharraf? God or what? How did he know that the Captain was not guilty? What the enquiry was not allowed to take place? Why all the evidence was destroyed by the officials as Sui Hospital? Whom they were protecting? Why they were not included in the inquiry for destroying the evidence? These are the questions that people ask, and they want the answers. It is possible that Captain was indeed innocent but the way the CinC got himself involved in a criminal matter only created doubts and fueled speculations. But when the so-called President of the country starts taking sides, things like this happen. The same thing happened when he supported the MQM terrorists on May 12, 2007 but that is another topic altogether.

Rahey naam Allah ka.

Note: I replied only because PAFace, a member I respect a lot, personally asked me to share my views. Otherwise, discussing this matter is a useless an exercise and waste of my time and of others. The folks who are making decisions will do what they think is right, what the Balochs think was never their concern is never going to be.

I am not in favor of anyone getting away with rape, it is most hideous crime.
The complication is that there was typical lack of urgency in handling the case on part of government, however for Bugti to start an armed rebellion citing this as the reason is a farce.
It cannot be the reason, you know very well that rape is a very commonly occurring crime, though it is hideous and deserves extreme punishment.
Bugti was not a helpless lamb and had he taken this to the court and waited for the courts to act he would have influenced in a much more positive way.

Still my argument is limited to the root cause of the armed struggle which Nawab Bugti started.
The cause and the overwhelming reaction does not fit here, there was definitely something else which was the real reason for this falling out between Bugti and the government and the clashes which occurred.

Coming back to the rape case, there are countless such cases which are not resolved...it is something that has to be taken much more seriously by our justice system.
This was all under the watch of Chief Justice Iftikhar so i am surprised that the case was not pushed in the courts but instead an armed rebellion was thought the only way out.

Regarding the mishandling of this case, PPL should be taken to task by the Supreme court.
I am all for an inquiry and fact finding, there should be some sort of effort here not only for the sake of justice but also to ensure that at least the overt reason for Akbar Bugtis rebellion is addressed by the State of Pakistan.
It may not change a lot of things currently, but in the long run it shall be seen as righting the wrongs by GOP.

I feel that our politicians/rulers have always dealt with Baluchistan in a very immature fashion, it is sad for me to see that at a time when Baluchistan can actually turn around the fortunes of all Pakistanis...things have come to this.

One last chance needs to be given and for this the Bloch leaders also have to show some long term strategic thinking...i feel very angry at all those responsible who could not address the concerns and always resorted to adhocism and did not try to appeal to the masses.

Who do you think is the best man who can lead the Baloch people and manage to integrate them into Pakistan without being overridden by the likes of BLA?

Last edited:

Nawaz asks PM to take military, Baloch leaders on board Urges raising issue of Indian hand in Balochistan at UN; seeks dialogue, withdrawal of ‘fake’ cases against Baloch; demands probe into subs deal; PM accepts PML-N leader’s advice

By Muhammad Anis & Asim Yasin

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Quaid Nawaz Sharif on Thursday advised Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani to take the military leadership as well as the estranged Baloch leadership sitting inside and outside the country into confidence on the proposed constitutional package for Balochistan.

He stressed the need for presenting a consensus package that does not face rejection and the prime minister agreed to defer presentation of the package before parliament to get feedback from Baloch nationalist leaders after consulting the president.

“I have suggested to the government to contact the Baloch leadership inside and outside the country before finalising a constitutional package for Balochistan,” Nawaz Sharif said while addressing a press conference after holding a meeting with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani here. Nawaz Sharif was accompanied by Raja Zafarul Haq, Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, Senator Ishaq Dar, Ahsan Iqbal and others.

The PML-N Quaid said he had also offered his support to approach the leadership of Balochistan. “All these leaders are patriotic Pakistanis and they are the same leaders who votedto repeal the 8th Amendment in 1997,” Nawaz recalled.

Nawaz said he also advised the prime minister to initiate dialogue with Baloch leaders and withdraw fake cases against them and also bring to book the murderers of Nawab Akbar Bugti. Nawaz said he has been in contact with the Baloch leadership, including Sardar Akhtar Mengal and Hasil Bazinjo. “I met with Akhtar Mengal during my last stay in Dubai and also talked to him today,” he said.

Answering a question whether Barahamdagh Bugti should also be included in the political dialogue, Nawaz said he had already said that all Baloch leaders should be involved in the process.

Nawaz said he told the prime minister that the military leadership should also be taken on board in such important decisions so that if any operation is in progress in the Balochistan province, it should be stopped.

Nawaz said he had also suggested to the prime minister to raise the issue of the Indian intervention in Balochistan at the United Nations and other international forums. “I asked the prime minister that the government should take up the matter of India’s involvement in Balochistan, along with evidence,” he said.

Nawaz said during the meeting, the prime minister informed him that the Indian hand was behind the unrest in Balochistan. “It is very regrettable to know that India is behind the unrest in Balochistan.”

Nawaz said during his detailed meeting with Prime Minister Gilani, he urged him to take all political parties of Balochistan and all political groups into confidence on the constitutional package for the province to give them a sense of participation in the whole process.

The PML-N leader said that there was a time when the Baloch leadership struggled for the creation of Pakistan. He regretted the circumstances that forced them to demand separation from the country. “I do not have any doubt that it were martial laws which played havoc with peace in Balochistan and changed the thinking of Baloch leadership. We want to heal the wounds of people of Balochistan which were inflicted on them during periods of different martial laws,” he said.

He said the PML-N wanted that the Balochistan package should not face rejection from any stakeholder. “We are not going to play to the gallery and we want the government to bring a consensus package as it is a matter of national interest,” he said.

Responding to a question about allegations against President Asif Ali Zardari on receiving $49 million as kickbacks in the submarines deal from France, he said the names of all those who got commission in the deal, should be made public. “It is not tolerable. We are of the opinion that there should be a thorough probe into the deal and we have no soft corner for such personalities,” he added.

He said he also talked to the prime minister on the issues of the 17th Amendment and the Charter of Democracy (CoD) making it clear that there should be no more delay in taking practical steps and it should take days not months to implement.

Responding to a question whether his party would let the present government complete its term of five years, he said there should be smooth transaction from one government to the other and it would be a beauty of democracy if every government completes its term. “It is not a big problem for us to wait for five years,” he said. He said the PML-N plays the role of a friendly opposition only when national interests are involved.

Earlier in their talks, held at the Prime Minister House, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani agreed in principle to Mian Nawaz Sharif’s proposal to defer presentation of the package before parliament and consult the Baloch nationalist leaders, who were ignored in the process of consultation.

The prime minister sought time to consult President Asif Ali Zardari, who is also co-chairman of the PPP, on the proposal. The luncheon meeting between Prime Minister Gilani and Nawaz Sharif largely remained focused on the proposed Balochistan package though the two leaders also touched upon the issue of repealing the 17th Amendment.

The government intended to present the Balochistan package in parliament within two to three days but has now changed its mind on the suggestion of Nawaz Sharif. It was decided in the meeting to put the parliamentary committee on constitutional reforms on a fast track to complete the task as soon as possible.

Nawaz during the meeting explained his point of view on Balochistan and suggested that the Baloch leadership, who did not take part in the elections, should also be taken into confidence so that the package had the backing of all political forces. He agreed that the Army could not be called back immediately but an exit strategy should be prepared in consultation with the military leadership.

It was also proposed by Nawaz Sharif that the government should ensure jobs for the Baloch youth in the private sector and Baloch educational institutions be upgraded to bring their standard at par with the other provinces.

While reaffirming their firm commitment to strengthening the parliamentary system of government, the two leaders agreed to work on a fast track basis for ensuring political stability, sovereignty of parliament and resolution of pending issues, including the repeal of the 17th Amendment, 58(2)b and implementation of the Charter of Democracy.

It was decided in the meeting to form a joint committee of the PPP and the PML-N to expedite the task of the parliamentary committee on constitutional reforms. The prime minister sought time to consult the president on this proposal too.

Balochistan MPs okay package with a grain of salt
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
By our correspondent

ISLAMABAD: Though parliamentarians belonging to Balochistan unanimously approved the Balochistan package as “Aghaze Haqooqe Balochistan” they reiterated their demand for the complete provincial autonomy as enshrined in the Constitution.

Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani held a detailed meeting with Balochistan Governor Nawab Zulfiqar Ali Magsi, Chief Minister Nawab Muhammad Aslam Raisani, senators as well as MNAs from Balochistan and members of the Balochistan cabinet at the PM House on Monday and took them into confidence on the Balochistan package prepared by the parliamentary committee. The meeting was also attended by members of the Balochistan committee.

The meeting was part of the consultative process to get all the stakeholders into confidence on the Balochistan package so that it could be presented before a joint sitting of both the houses of parliament.

Senator Mian Raza Rabbani, who is the head of the parliamentary committee on Balochistan, gave a detailed briefing to them on the recommendations incorporated into the “Aghaze Haqooqe Balochistan” in order to address the longstanding demands of the people of Balochistan and bringing them into the mainstream by removing their sense of deprivation.

He informed the members that the package consisted of constitutional, administrative and economic measures. The constitutional part will be looked into by the constitutional reforms committee while administrative and economic side will be taken care of by the prime minister himself.

It was decided that inputs given by the members, belonging to Balochistan, shall be incorporated into the final draft to make the “Aghaze Haqooqe Balochistan” more effective and successful.

The prime minister said the federal government attached high priority to the socio-economic development of Balochistan as this was a must for the progress and prosperity of the country. He said all-out efforts would be made in that direction to bring Balochistan at par with the developed areas of the country.

He said his government was sincerely working towards comprehensive proposals which were acceptable to all. “Today’s meeting was in continuation of my consultative process to take all the stakeholders on board to make the “Aghaze Haqooqe Balochistan” a success,” he added.

He said the government believes in evolving a consensus on all issues of national importance, as this is imperative for the successful and effective implementation of policy decisions.

Balochistan MPs okay package with a grain of salt

Army clears contentious parts of package
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
By Rauf Klasra

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani after getting some solid guarantees from the top military leadership of the country, is all set to announce an immediate ban on the construction of new military cantonments in Balochistan, general amnesty for the armed activists of the Balochistan Liberation Army(BLA) and talks offer to three rebel leaders-Herbiyar Murree, Baramdagh Bugti and Attaullah Khan Mengal, in his speech in the parliament today (Tuesday).

The sources said, the Chief of the Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani was said to have endorsed the new package after the Prime Minister Gilani sat down with him and ISI Chief General Shujja Pasha to discuss all the important points of this package concerning the role of military in Balochistan.

The sources said, the ban on construction of cantonment and release the missing Baloch persons was said to have been made part of the package after the clearance from the top military leadership.

The sources said, it has been decided by the government that the that military would not construct new cantonments in the province however the two old cantonments would stay functional. Likewise, it was decided that the heads of the Balochistan and Gawadar Authority would be from Balochistan and no outsider would be appointed there. The SAINDAK and RECODIK contracts might also be reviewed to give ownership to the local Baloch people, with Islamabad only dealing ‘on their behalf’ with foreign contractors.

The top government sources privy to this major development of Balochistan package claimed that as a part of the short term strategy PM Gilani would direct the concerned secret agencies, forces and department to ensure the immediate production of all the missing persons in the province. One source said, the missing persons were being produced and released to create a friendly environment for the start of talks with the rebel leaders, Harbiyar Murree, Barahdagh Bugti and Akthar Mengal, who have been championing the cause of an independent Balochistan.

One top source claimed that these top leaders were taken into confidence by the powers that be before giving a final shape to the Balochistan Package but it might take some time before they come to the negotiating table as these leaders are likely to adopt a wait and see approach before publicly reciprocating the package initiative.

Meanwhile, in a bid to take the friendly Muslim countries into confidence before tabling the “Rahe-i- Haqooq Balochistan” package, a top federal minister, with strong links within both the PM House and Presidency, was given the task to give a secret briefing to about 50 Afro-Arabs ambassadors at the residence of Egyptian ambassador. The briefing was given to take all the ambassadors on board to counter international conspiracies being hatched to destabilize Balochistan.

Meanwhile, inside sources said, the backdoor channels unleashed by President Asif Zardari had played an important role in bringing the Baloch rebel leaders back to the negotiating table. Mr. Zardari was said to have used his Sindhi and Baloch contacts to get Baloch rebel leaders to agree to a new package on Balochistan before start of meaningful talks in the long run. These sources claimed that the PPP government in Islamabad had quietly paid a considerable amount to help Herbiyar Murree to fight a terrorism case in UK and get himself acquitted. The sources said, the amount was paid as a part of Confidence Building Measures(CBM) as PPP government greatly helped him to get the cases against him settled in the British courts. Herbiyar Murree was arrested by British Authorities in December 2007 on the request of General Musharraf. Before the arrest of Herbiyar, his brother Balach Marri was targeted and killed less than a fortnight ago. General Musharraf was using Rashid Rauf as a bargaining chip to bring Herbiyar Marri to Pakistan. But, now Islamabad has apparently taken a reconciliatory approach to soften the Baloch leader and this move may just pay dividends as PM goes to announce the new package.

Likewise, sources said, during the backdoor negotiation with Baramdagh Bugti, the PPP government had also agreed to offer him some concessions. Baramdagh was said to have asked the official negotiators to first give him a new green passport as his old one had expired.

The sources said, the establishment forces too had been in touch with Sardar Akthar Mengal on the issue of new initiatives as the Baloch leaders knew that political commitments with them would not work unless the establishment forces gave them firm assurances. The sources said, the Baloch leaders were now taking these initiatives seriously. The sources said, the abolition of cases against Akthar Mengal and his colleagues on terrorism charges during Musharraf regime had played a major role in convincing these leaders in showing flexibility and resuming a dialogue with the government.

The joint session of the parliament would continue even after the Eid so that the house could debate the new package before its approval. It was decided that a parliamentary committee would be formed to monitor the progress on this package after getting the full nod of the parliament as all these arrangements would be given a legal shape so as the Baloch rebel leadership could not find any excuse on the basis of trust deficit. (ends)

The sources said, earlier a four and half hours long meeting was presided over by the prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Monday to give a final shape to the new package and his speech to be delivered in the joint sitting on Tuesday. The meeting was attended by Khursheed Shah, Qamar Zaman Kaira, Dr Babar Awan, Raza Rabbani, Naveed Qamar and others.

Army clears contentious parts of package

Jamali, Kayani discuss Balochistan package

ISLAMABAD: Former prime minister Mir Zafarullah Jamali met Chief of Army Staff Gen Ashfaq Kayani at the General Headquarters on Monday and suggested certain proposals for solving problems of Balochistan. Sources said various issues, including the country’s political situation, national security, terrorism and problems faced by the Baloch people were discussed in the meeting. The sources said the government’s proposed package for Balochistan was also discussed. They said Gen Kayani told Jamali that the armed forces would never compromise on national security, defence and sovereignty of the country. online

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

It would be too early to discuss this package which certainly has a decent label on it. However, at this point of time, the whole thing is nothing more than a document comprised of ‘promises’, ‘would be’, ‘shall be’, ‘committees’, and ‘commissions’. These things have been said before but with no follow ups. Basically the things are at the same position where they were before the presentation of this bill. We shall see if and when the things proposed in the bill get materialized and to what extent.

I am happy that something is happening on the Baloch front. It should be of vital importance to win the Baloch people over for any person who calls themselves a Pakistani patriot. If the PPP somehow manages to get the Baloch people's attention, then they will have earned some credibility in my eyes.

That said, let's discuss the few issues that, according to Geo News, have come forward in this package:

- Support in finding missing persons:
This one is pretty self-explanatory. The people going missing are generally suspected of being associated in anti-State or terrorism activities. If this is the case, then he or she must be legally challenged, and if found guilty, publicly punished. Anti-Pakistan activities should be severely punished, and severely opposed, but openly through law-enforcement, not through disappearances or kidnappings.

- Withdrawal of Pakistan Army from the area - only the Frontier Corps should operate:
For what? This is ridiculous, it will give any insurgents or foreign powers a free-run in the region. If anything, the Army in the area and opposing forces should engage in dialogue, on equal terms. You can't surrender land to them, they will never surrender it back.

- No further construction of Army bases in the region:
Once again, an attempt to neuter the Army. This, too, should be opposed. The presence of the Army is of concern only to the nationalists, not the general public. This is a move along the times of the peace-deal with the Taliban in Swat.

- Increased development and funding for the region:
Very good move. However, there must be conditions put in place that ensure this money is actually spend on the people, rather than on fortifying the insurgency or expanding hate-based politics. Money must also be spent on strengthening the local law enforcement and providing the people with a free judicial system.

This is all I know for now, let's wait until more details emerge. I will continue this later.

Agree with development. I hope India learns from Pakistan take step in development of North East. It should not allow Industry there but tourism must be promoted heavily. They are heavens of World.

Govt offers olive branch to Balochistan

By Raja Asghar
Wednesday, 25 Nov, 2009

ISLAMABAD: An offer of dialogue with ‘estranged brothers’, promises of probes into political murders, army pullout from a key area, halt to new cantonments and more local control on resources marked a conciliation package for Balochistan that the government unveiled in parliament on Tuesday.

In a special joint sitting of the National Assembly and Senate, the PPP-led coalition also committed itself to more autonomy for the largest but least populated province, though the issue must wait for constitutional amendments being considered by a special parliamentary committee that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said was expected to present its report ‘very soon’.

The prime minister made the offer of dialogue as part of his government’s aim to ‘heal the broken hearts’ in a brief Urdu speech while an English-language draft of the package called ‘Aghaz-i-Haqooq-i-Balochistan’ (beginning of the rights of Balochistan) was read out later by PPP Senator Raza Rabbani, who headed a parliamentary committee that finalised the document, which also envisages release of detained political workers, return of dissidents living in exile and identification of missing persons.

The murders to be judicially probed include that of former provincial governor and nationalist leader Akbar Bugti, who was killed in a cave hideout in a 2006 military operation and was described in the package document as a ‘shaheed’ (martyr).

The sitting, summoned by President Asif Ali Zardari, was prorogued after the presentation of the package which, the prime minister said, would be debated in another joint sitting to be called after Eidul Azha.

The president later congratulated the government and political parties over the announcement of the package that he described in a statement as a ‘great leap forward’ towards addressing the issues of the people of Balochistan and empowering them in accordance with their aspirations.

‘We are deeply aware and conscious of the fact that certain political forces in Balochistan are outside the mainstream of politics,’ Gilani said in his speech about the Baloch politicians who had not taken part in the last election and other dissidents and added: ‘We also realise that we have to promote an atmosphere of mutual trust and solidarity.’

Describing it a sincere desire of his government as well as of whole parliament, he said: ‘We want to hold dialogue with them. We are extending our hand of reconciliation and dialogue to our estranged brothers from Balochistan with the hope that they will respond positively and in an encouraging manner.’

The prime minister termed the package a ‘fruitful result …of sincere consultative endeavours’ of his 20-month-old government and said it would usher in a new era of progress in the province free of exploitation and based on justice.

Pledging to ‘employ all our resources to heal the broken hearts’, he said: ‘We will make Balochistan a cradle of great civilisation, culture and traditions so that the historians would have to accept the fact that after the dark night of oppression, the emerging sun unleashed such a wave of solidarity and brotherhood that gave a new meaning to life in the province.’

He said the package would bring Balochistan on a par with other provinces in regard to constitutional, political and economic rights and would also ensure ascendancy of the parliament.

The following are salient points of the package proposals:

Constitution-related matters

* Constitutional amendments about provincial autonomy being considered by the parliamentary committee be addressed immediately.

* The committee considering deletion of the concurrent list, the Police Order of 2002 and the Balochistan Local Government Ordinance of 2001, effective implementation of article 153 on the Council of Common Interests, and implementation of articles 160 (NFC award), 154 (council functions and rules of procedure), 155 (interference with water supplies), 156 (National Economic Council), 157 (electricity projects), 158 (priority of requirements of natural gas) and 159 (broadcasting and telecasting).

* After change in the NFC award formula based on population, other criteria such as inverse population ratio, backwardness, poverty and resource generation be taken into consideration. Political matters

* The federal government, in consultation with the provincial government, immediately release all political workers, except those charged for heinous crimes.

* Dialogue with all major stakeholders in the political spectrum of the province to bring them into the mainstream of politics.

* Facilitation of political exiles returning to Pakistan, except those involved in 'acts of terrorism'.
* Unanimously passed provincial assembly resolution from 2002 to date relating to the province be implemented 'within the legal framework of the constitution'.

* The Local Government Ordinance be amended by the provincial government 'in view of the needs of the province'.

Administrative matters

* The federal government immediately review the role of federal agencies in the province and 'stop all such operations that are not related to the pursuit of fighting terrorism'.

* The federal government announce withdrawal of army from Sui, to be replaced by the Frontier Corps (FC) and no proposals be formulated to construct new cantonments 'except in frontier areas wherever required'.

* A commission to be constituted in respect of missing persons, to be headed by a sitting superior judiciary judge from Balochistan with federal defence and interior ministers and the provincial home minister as members to hold proceedings in camera.

* Missing persons to be identified, with release of those against whom there are no charge and trial of others before a competent court.

* An inquiry by the superior judiciary into the murder of Baloch political workers Ghulam Moammad, Lala Munir and Munir Ahmed.

* A fact-finding commission headed by a retired judge of the Supreme Court or a high court to determine 'the circumstances leading to the death of Nawab Akbar Bugti Shaheed'.

* Halt to the construction of new cantonments in Sui and Kohlu 'for the time being' and the army to be withdrawn from Sui after handing over to FC, which also to take over the already constructed Sui cantonment.

* Review from time to time of the policy of conversion of ‘B’ areas into ‘A’ areas and urban areas may have regular police.

* The FC’s law-enforcement role to be under the chief minister, powers conferred under the customs act to be withdrawn and the coastguard to perform its primary duty of checking arms and narcotics smuggling.
* Checkposts of civil armed forces and other related agencies, other than those in border areas, to be in accordance with provincial government directions.

* An inquiry by the superior judiciary into allotment of land in Gwadar port area.

* Special quota of scholarships for Balochistan by the Higher Education Commission. Economic matters

* While rationalisation of the royalty formula and gas development surcharge having been done, the concept of public-private ownership to be followed in areas of a district granted for exploration.

* All new mega projects to be initiated with the consent and approval of the provincial government and Gwadar to have a free economic zone with political activities there to be regulated by law framed in consultation with all stakeholders.

* Special economic package for Sui and armed forces to be systematically withdrawn from there.

* The federal government to immediately create 5,000 jobs for the province.

* The federal government to pay arrears of gas development surcharge (GDS) from 1954 to 1991, amounting to Rs120 billion, in 12 years.

* The province to be able to buy up to 20 per cent of right shares offered in open market in organisations like PPL, OGDCL and Sui Southern.

* The federal government to immediately give 20 per cent from its 30 per cent shares in Saindak project to the province, which will exclusively own it on completion and after withdrawal of the foreign company.

* Uniform gas price throughout the country for the calculation of GDS.

* Fishing trawlers to be restricted to 33km from the coast, to help small fishermen.

* Special incentives to local tribes to facilitate oil/gas exploration in Kohlu district now closed owing to security concerns.

* Allocation of the province in all poverty alleviation schemes to be proportional to percentage of people living below poverty line.

* The federal government to provide Rs1 billion for the rehabilitation of internally displaced persons of Dera Bugti.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Govt offers olive branch to Balochistan

Agree with development. I hope India learns from Pakistan take step in development of North East. It should not allow Industry there but tourism must be promoted heavily. They are heavens of World.

Off-topic, but can you tell me why industry shouldn't be allowed in NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom