What's new

Pentagon tracking suspected Chinese spy balloon over the US

Why would china use a balloon for spying when it has satellites?

If they have concrete proof they would have already released it to the press, so far there are no photos no videos not even a named source.
Your government says its from China. Also even threaten retaliation for the balloon getting blown out of the sky.

Why we still use spy planes when we have satellites?

For a country that has a very large history of spying on other countries, to be upset, when another country spies on them, is rather silly
They already sending the so called weather balloon into Latin America.

It would be a game-changing development, since the view from about 100,000 feet up can be as good or better than a view from space.​

5bb3960e21e9cb187b059885

A view of Earth and a mid-flight airplane photographed by one of World View's Stratollite balloon craft. World View

there are something you can't do with Satellite, like Geo Sensing with RF, EM, radiographic and so on.

Also balloon is slow, so you can scan a lot bigger an area than by passing satellite

Your government says its from China. Also even threaten retaliation for the balloon getting blown out of the sky.
The strong response pretty much confirmed it's not a spy balloon, otherwise the response would have been a lot lower profile, that's the unwritten rule. Like the last time we fished out the underwater spy UAV, the Americans didn't say a word.

there are something you can't do with Satellite, like Geo Sensing with RF, EM, radiographic and so on.

Also balloon is slow, so you can scan a lot bigger an area than by passing satellite

Yes you right, satellites, ballon’s , and aircraft all have different capabilities and limitations. Satellites have the the advantage of providing long-range communications and remote sensing capabilities, but they are limited in their ability to physically interact with the environment. Balloons and aircraft, on the other hand , have limited communication and sensing capabilities, but they can physically interact with the environment. They can also be used to insert malware into a computer network , but they are not the only means to do so. I hope China has not done neither this will just escalate things for Beijing.

So China will also has excuse to bring down any American junk that fly over Chinese territory in the future.

I think that was the entire point of this exercise. The Americans may well be violating Chinese airspace now with American systems - now they can go to down shooting them down with any kind of recourse.

China just said as much.

Last edited:
With each day that passes, I become more convinced that the US is becoming India. Everything the US has done during its hilarious balloon tantrum is exactly what India would have done. The only difference is that India would have shot down a bunch of its own assets trying to shoot down the balloon, so the US does still maintain a modicum of military competence.
the kwaad effect

I think the story is not that we didn't detect that balloon on their way here, the story is why the Pentagon is telling you they are coming in now, when I was in Military Intelligence, we already knew these kinds of activities, there are actually quite frequent to have Chinese Ballon fly over hitting and missing NORAD, but the government never tell anyone about it, why now? That probably is where the real story goes.
Yep, the fact that even past incidents are now surfacing, being publicly acknowledged is interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom